Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

high end grainy distortion

anthdidj

Is that "weird grainy high end distortion" kicking in for a second or so moments after the initial hit? I can hear that (faintly) but I'm not sure if I'm focusing on the right problem. 

If that is it.... here are a few things to try.

1. Silverheads suggestion above of increasing the BIAS for the amp model a little... or a lot of needed. Usually 5 - 10 notches higher is enough.
  2. If it's a stock cab, try changing the MIC to a 121, and pull it back a few inches. I'm not saying you have to stay with the 121... I just find it's a great choice for tests like this. 
  3. If it's an IR... make sure you try others. 
  4. If all else fails.... turn on the INPUT PAD in global settings and see if it goes away.

As for the hum after the chord rings out, that doesn't seem to be captured on the recording (is it?). Without hearing it I'd rather not speculate. 

getting better results with using hi cut on impulse response or backing off the mic abit on the factory cab. I can't find the input pad on the global settings though... it has input level and you can set to inst or line (I am on the stomp hx) but no pad?

1 hour ago, anthdidj said:

it has input level and you can set to inst or line (I am on the stomp hx) but no pad?

Sorry about that... I didn't realize you were on the Stomp... 

I don't think the stomp has an input pad... unless I am mistaken. 

I wouldn't worry about it... I just mentioned it as a "last ditch effort" if everything else failed,  but it appears some of the other options might be helping the problem.

1 hour ago, anthdidj said:

getting better results with using hi cut on impulse response or backing off the mic abit on the factory cab.

Don't be afraid to deviate from the defaults choices for mics and positions. Most people don't realize how powerful the mic choice and position are to shaping your tone. A studio engineer spends a stupid amount of time choosing mics and positions.... they want to "get that right" before touching an EQ on the console. 

Here is a great video on how effective this is within the Helix...

I get the same thing often when i use headphones. I find that if you roll back the db on the output level enough it will vanish even with higher distortion. Ive rolled back at up tp -17.8 db volume and its completely gone. It has nothing to do with cabs, mics, or effects but i believe as the helix acting as an interface. Bigger PA systems you can set the levels normal but with speakers and headphones you'll need to give them more 'room" to take your signal.

6 hours ago, anthdidj said:

I am getting this when I had the headphones straight into the actual unit though?

Doesn't matter... everything tends to sound a bit brittle/ harsh when the source is right on top of your ears. Problem is nobody's used to listening to themselves play guitar that way. Before all this stuff existed, we were all sat in a room, a good distance from the cabinet, and way off-axis. Try sticking your head right up against the grill of a guitar cabinet though...I guarantee you're gonna hear the same harshness. Headphones will typically require a bit more high end roll-off than you'd use with monitors, straight to PA, etc. 

My band just bought in-ear monitors... and patches that I've been using live for 2 years, which sound great through the PA, quite frankly sound like boiled $hit through the buds. And I bought some decent ones....I'm gonna have to tweak everything, split the path right before the output and use a separate EQ block for the path going to the in-ears. It's a pain in the a$$, and I resisted the in-ears for a long time for exactly this reason. But we're adding some sequenced keys now, so I don't have much choice.