Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

external expression pedal setup for helix floor for Wah

tjparkinson

I just purchased an EP1-L6 expression pedal and I'm having trouble setting it up to use as a Wah with my Helix floor. I want to be able to use the Wah at lower volumes, without having to change my guitar volume. Using it as EXP 1 for the Wah on my unit doesn't allow that. I tried using HX edit and the Helix screen without success. Could someone enlighten me on the process? or isn't it do-able?

Thank you

1 hour ago, tjparkinson said:

I just purchased an EP1-L6 expression pedal and I'm having trouble setting it up to use as a Wah with my Helix floor. I want to be able to use the Wah at lower volumes, without having to change my guitar volume. Using it as EXP 1 for the Wah on my unit doesn't allow that. I tried using HX edit and the Helix screen without success. Could someone enlighten me on the process? or isn't it do-able?

Thank you

I must be missing something... not sure I understand the problem. You can use any of the available wah models with the Helix's expression pedal at any volume you wish....one has nothing to do with the other. Nor should it necessitate rolling off the guitar's volume, unless you actually want the tonal change that will accompany that. 

What I'm assuming is that when you want to use the built in expression pedal, you're pretty much forced to go to max volume to switch the function from volume to wah.  He wants to set the volume with the main pedal on the board and use an external pedal as the wah.  

I'm not entirely how to set this as I don't have one, but it should be able to be done.

robertgoddard has it right. That's exactly my situation.

I don't want to have to play at full volume to use the wah.

Plus, when I back off on the guitar volume to make it quieter, the tone changes and the wah loses t's fullness.

Anyone have suggestions?

On 4/27/2019 at 1:26 AM, tjparkinson said:

robertgoddard has it right. That's exactly my situation.

I don't want to have to play at full volume to use the wah.

Plus, when I back off on the guitar volume to make it quieter, the tone changes and the wah loses t's fullness.

Anyone have suggestions?

If you run a MIDI cable in a loop from the Helix's MIDI output to the Helix MIDI input you can do this with just the built-in expression pedal. Take a look at this link. There is a preset in the post you can use. 

I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong... I'm just pointing out an observation :) 

I'm surprised at how many people actually use the Volume Pedal as a volume control rather than an effect. I use mine for swells, softer attacks, pedal steel tricks, etc... etc... not as a volume control. Since it is not a volume control, full is normal.. therefore turning on a wah at that point causes no problems. 

For lowers/higher volumes I have a boost (gain block) near the end of my chain.... when I need more volume, I push a button. 

On 4/26/2019 at 7:10 PM, tjparkinson said:

I just purchased an EP1-L6 expression pedal and I'm having trouble setting it up to use as a Wah with my Helix floor.

Sorry, I just realized that myself and others have not actually addressed your problem directly. 

IMO... use it for VOLUME not for WAH!

Both option setups are provided below....

When you plug it in it will become EXP 2 or EXP3 by default depending on what plug you use.... IMO for a WAH, I'd suggest EXP2

METHOD 1: USE THE BUILT IN PEDAL FOR WAH/EXT for VOLUME (highly recommended)

• Plug the EP1 into EXP2
  • Insert a Volume pedal block
  • Insert a Wah block
  • hint: press the toe switch to turn off the wah before saving the patch.

Result

• The EP1 is your volume pedal (never effected by anything)
  • The TOE switch turns on/off the WAH
  • The built in expression pedal is your wah when the effect is engaged by the toe switch

This process is all automatic as you add "volume" and "wah" blocks to your signal flow. In theory, you never have to adjust anything for this setup to work.. but you can still fine tune it as needed.

METHOD 2: USE THE BUILT IN PEDAL FOR VOLUME/EXT for WAH (not recommended)

• Plug the EP1 into EXP2
  • Insert a Volume pedal block
  • Insert a Wah block
  • Navigate to the Volume block > Push and Hold "Position" > Change controller to EXP1
  • Navigate to the Wah Block > Change the controller to EXP2
  • (Optional): From the Wah Block press the hamburger menu (beside the save) and choose "bypass assign". Change the WAH On/Off from TOE SWITCH to any other switch you want on the Helix. This method allows you to engage the wah without turning the volume pedal all the way up to reach the toe switch.

Result

• The EP1 is your Wah pedal
  • The TOE Switch turns on/off the WAH
  • The built in expression pedal is always your volume

The problem here is that you need to engage the wah with the toe switch, and move your foot to a different pedal to control the wah. Even if you re-assign the wah on/off to a regular switch instead of the toe you are STILL engaging then moving your foot. 

• Upvote 1