Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A Few Questions Regarding Hd500 And Dt25

NickTheGC

Hey guys, this is my first post in the forum.

Right now I'm using a Gibson Les Paul with my HD500, using headphones. The sound is OK, but I'm looking to buy an amplifier.

I'm considering buying a DT25 combo, but before I do, I have a couple questions.

1. Firstly, I have ran out of DSP a lot on my HD500, mainly because I use dual amp configurations. What I am wondering is if I can still use two amp paths with two different (pre) amps modelled on my HD500, and have the DT25 combo output both amps (both paths) in only one speaker (I will be using the combo amp). Another thing that I'd like to know in relation to this is whether or not using the HD500 in conjuncton with the DT25 will free up DSP. I heard that (since the 2.0 update), the DT25 models the pre amp instead of the HD500. Is this true? Will it model both of my pre amps, allowing DSP usage to drop on the HD500?

2. Secondly, I am wondering which cable to purhase to use with L6 link. I understand that Line 6 reccomend an AES/EBU type cable over everything else. However I also see that they recommend a Classic Series Microphone Cable by Planet Waves, which as far as I'm aware doesn't appear to be an AES/EBU type cable. I live in New Zealand, so I cannot purchase brands such as Mogami, in fact the only AES/EBU cable that is stocked in my local store is a HOSA AES/EBU cable. Would you reccoment this as a good cable? http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/recording/hosa-ebu003-aes-ebu-cable-3ft.html Also, I assume that 3ft is too short....

Thanks so much in advance, and any other tips in realtion to the DT25, such as upkeep and tone tricks will be greatly appreciated! I will be entirely new to valve amps.

Nick.

I have used that same cable and it was perfectly fine. I can not speak directly for the DT25 but I do own the DT 50.

1. I have never run out of DSP when running to my DT. You can use dual tones if you have more than one DT amp or L3T or L2M or such. Other than that there is no need for a dual amp path.

2. Like I said I've used just such a cable and I buy Aes/Ebu as my spares.

If u enjoy playing via headphones you'll lollipop yourself when u connect via L6link to a DT amp.

• Upvote 1

I have used that same cable and it was perfectly fine. I can not speak directly for the DT25 but I do own the DT 50.

1. I have never run out of DSP when running to my DT. You can use dual tones if you have more than one DT amp or L3T or L2M or such. Other than that there is no need for a dual amp path.

2. Like I said I've used just such a cable and I buy Aes/Ebu as my spares.

If u enjoy playing via headphones you'll lollipop yourself when u connect via L6link to a DT amp.

Thanks for that. So for what I understand, when the Pod and the DT are connected, the dsp usage from amp modelling comes from the DT, and not the Pod?

So that means that, theoretically, an HD500 patch that was over the DSP limit of the Pod could work when connected to the DT, as the DT would be modelling the amp and not the Pod?

Thanks again

U get a DSP drop only if you use the Pre amps and not the full. Only time I use full amp models is when I am in LVM and even then some of the preamps sound fine. I've heard of people using dual patches with a DT but I have found it pointless. So just in decreasing from 2 amps to 1 will decrease your DSP usage considerably. I've had my setup for almost a year now and wouldn't trade it for anything.

• Upvote 1

Ok, so from what I understand when the Pod is connected, the Pod is what emulates the preamp and it uses the DSP of the Pod?

Why do you think modelling two amps is pointless? Is that just personal preference or does it actually sound bad out of, say, a DT25 combo amp?

Cheers

The DT only uses the topology choice etc of whichever amp is in path A. Also it uses the other settings from path A like drive treble etc.

I don't know if having a dual amp path has any effect on a DT, good or bad.

I've found that even when running into monitors or headphones I can use a single amp and get everything I was getting from having dual preamps with the exception of using two very different preamps in a dual path, I have a Dr Z and :13 dual amp that is really nice edge of breakup with nice thickness to it, although I'm not sure even those sounds can't be replicated with a single preamp choice with enough experimentation.

The DT is going to be such an improvement over headphones I think you won't miss dual amps at all.

• Upvote 1

Ditto what aggravation said. You are correct sir on the pod being the preamp. It is my understanding that the only way to use dual amps is to daisy chain via L6link your DT and another DT or Stage source speaker. But it is my opinion you should hold all reservations until u get the DT amp that u need dual tones to achieve a thick nice sound. I can guarantee u once u get to know the DT you'll be just as happy as I am.

• Upvote 1

Using the POD with the DT25 with L6 link does not reduce the DSP usage by itself.  The DSP can be reduced by using pre models vs full models.  I only recently realized you can use dual amps with the DT.  I was under the impression that only channel A would work but that isn't exactly true.  What is true is that the DT configures itself to match the amp in channel A and if there is no amp in channel A or it is turned off, then the DT switches to its own internal channel B amp.

However, you CAN use dual amps with the DT.  The power section of the DT will configure itself to match the amp in channel A but both amp outputs will be fed to the DT.  You can configure the amp in channel A with HD Edit to give you whatever power amp characteristics you want, but both amps A & B will use that same configuration.

Both amps can be set up individually  for all controls but the knobs on the DT will only interact with the amp in channel A.  No matter what stereo setup you create in the POD it will all be summed to mono in the DT.  The only way to get a true stereo sound is to use two DT's or a DT and a L2/3/t/m.

Is it really needed?  I don't know but it is pretty cool to know it can be done.  I have been playing with using a dual amp patch with multiple parameters linked to the exp pedal.  With one pedal I can morph from a high gain with big delay to a nice clean with more reverb without changing patches and no momentary delay due to DT configuring itself.  I am still working to find a really good patch with dual amps blended.

Remember, you CAN'T turn off the amp in channel A or the DT will switch to internal!  You have to either leave them both on or control the blend with the exp pedal or 2 volume pedals or perhaps another combo I haven't thought of.  Here are two patches for you to try:

(B-Slayer) - amps are controlled by exp pedal, (Dual Test) - amps are switched with F3.

PS - comments on the patches are welcome, always looking to improve...
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1