Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix to PA

rockinb

Hey guyz ...  i am using my helix to a FRFR for monitoring and now need to hook up to a PA for the first time using XLR.  

My question is what initial channel strip setup do you use on the PA ?  For miked amps , I have an EQ preset that I like ... would I use it with the helix or try for a flat response ?

thx in advance ..... rb

The modeling world is a bit different.  Not only are you dialing in amps and effects, but you are also applying EQ and other things normally left up to the sound engineer.  I try to dial in my patches as close as I can so that they sit well in a live mix.  I communicate with my sound guy that I initially want a flat EQ and then he can tweak it to whatever is best for the house mix.

Ideally, the advantage to using a FRFR type speaker is that it generally has the same response characteristics as most decent PA speakers because...well it IS a PA speaker.  So if your sound is dialed in for the FRFR speaker that should be the sound, or pretty close to the sound it will get through the PA.  There is no real magic to be done at the mixer for your signal to blended with the other instruments.  The fact is you have far more advanced controls for such things in the Helix than they probably have at the mixing board.  If it blends on stage it should blend out front.  All that needs to be done is for them to mix your volume level correctly with the other instruments.  That means it's up to you to make sure your signal level or volume stays consistent across all of your patches or snapshots.

Yes - I prefer to do it in Helix. The sound guy at the venue will make room-specific adjustments if necessary. Like Lungho said tell the sound guy to start with a flat EQ on your channel and let him adjust for the room/mix.

5 hours ago, rockinb said:

My question is what initial channel strip setup do you use on the PA ? 

Flat like a pancake! I would NEVER setup my tone for a "required" EQ curve at the board. That is the same for the HELIX or an AMP! 

That said - ultimately it's up to the tech to do whatever he needs to do, I just try to give him the easiest of starting points!

13 minutes ago, rockinb said:

thx guys ... what about other PA board settings ?  i.e. high and low cuts etc. .... let the helix do it ?

I take care of that within the Helix.... but with a guitar amp I expect the board to take care of it.