Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just got an HX Stomp - power off power bank?

Bmicona

I sold off my HD500x and picked up a stomp. I love it. I love the small size, the tones so far are great, it's a pretty awesome little unit. 

I want to put it on a mini-board I have which I run off of a portable battery power bank. It's a 10,000mah battery and I use a 5v to 9v adapter and run 3 pedals daisy chained off of it. I'm wondering if it would be a terrible idea to pick up another battery (so the Stomp is isolated from the other pedals) and power it that way? I'm constantly moving around where I'm playing, between the bedroom, kitchen, living room (I play with headphones almost exclusively) so not having a power cord that I'm unplugging and plugging in is a very enticing idea, especially since my other pedals are already powered that way. The stomp from what I've read only draws around 1A out of the supplied 3A from the wall wort, so a 2.4A out would be plenty of power it would seem.

But my other pedals didn't cost as much money as the Stomp. And I can't afford to brick one.

So if this sounds like a stupid idea, I trust you guys. If I should remain attached to a wall wart I will accept that that is my fate and live on.

Anyone doing this particular kind of set up?

10 hours ago, Bmicona said:

I sold off my HD500x and picked up a stomp. I love it. I love the small size, the tones so far are great, it's a pretty awesome little unit. 

I want to put it on a mini-board I have which I run off of a portable battery power bank. It's a 10,000mah battery and I use a 5v to 9v adapter and run 3 pedals daisy chained off of it. I'm wondering if it would be a terrible idea to pick up another battery (so the Stomp is isolated from the other pedals) and power it that way? I'm constantly moving around where I'm playing, between the bedroom, kitchen, living room (I play with headphones almost exclusively) so not having a power cord that I'm unplugging and plugging in is a very enticing idea, especially since my other pedals are already powered that way. The stomp from what I've read only draws around 1A out of the supplied 3A from the wall wort, so a 2.4A out would be plenty of power it would seem.

But my other pedals didn't cost as much money as the Stomp. And I can't afford to brick one.

So if this sounds like a stupid idea, I trust you guys. If I should remain attached to a wall wart I will accept that that is my fate and live on.

Anyone doing this particular kind of set up?

I've seen other examples of people doing this.  The only thing I can't speak to is if it has any impact when the battery runs out of enough charge. I assume it doesn't and that the Stomp will simply turn off rather than try to run on a dying battery.  I have to say though, it is this last aspect that would most make me wary of using a battery. Again though, I've seen a few do it.

As long as the power source is supplying adequate power when using the Stomp, be it a plug or a battery, it should be fine. 

I am powering my Stomp with a power bank. It works well. But there are a few things to keep in mind.

The Stomp will draw 850mA to 1.3A, and so the typical 5v to 9v converter (which can only output 800mA) is not suitable. Look for one that can supply 2A. I build my own using a board that can handle a 2A load.

Second, when selecting a battery pack keep the following in mind: 10000mAh is measured at 3.7 v. But of course you will be consuming power at 9 v. So your capacity will be about 40% of what the battery is rated at, or about 4000 mAh at 9v. And with the Stomp consuming around 1A (sort of an average), the battery will last about 4 hrs, give or take. This is why I use a 20100 mAh battery pack, giving me about 8hrs.

• Like 1

Oh man awesome. Thank you for replying and for that info!

I was thinking after looking at power banks that I may get a different one with a larger capacity that has a regular outlet on it, as well as regular wall plug, and then use the actual power supply for the stomp to be safer. That way I won't have to worry about the up-conversion of power.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 1:54 AM, sliberty57 said:

I am powering my Stomp with a power bank. It works well. But there are a few things to keep in mind.

The Stomp will draw 850mA to 1.3A, and so the typical 5v to 9v converter (which can only output 800mA) is not suitable. Look for one that can supply 2A. I build my own using a board that can handle a 2A load.

Second, when selecting a battery pack keep the following in mind: 10000mAh is measured at 3.7 v. But of course you will be consuming power at 9 v. So your capacity will be about 40% of what the battery is rated at, or about 4000 mAh at 9v. And with the Stomp consuming around 1A (sort of an average), the battery will last about 4 hrs, give or take. This is why I use a 20100 mAh battery pack, giving me about 8hrs.

Please can I ask what make model of battery pack are you using? Thanks

I use Jackary batteries. Unfortunately the models I have are discontinued - the Titan, and the Thunder X. I bought a new battery this week from Rav  Power, 26800 mAH, but it didn’t work out, so it’s going back. I suspect Anker might be a good brand to try too, but haven’t yet.

• 11 months later...

Hi just read this post about using power banks. I'm curious to as well to set up a mobile pedalboard using a Powerbank. I've attached my pedalboard, I was thinking whether a 10,000 or 20,000 may power bank can power this board up. 

Thinking around playing for just 2-3 hours at a time.

Also is there a way to use the Powerbank to power a Ojai power supply?

It's input is 24v I think.

I've been reading but I'm a bit confused with batteries, power banks and what not ><' (The jargons confuse me tbh)

92253411_10163321317355524_4964662828997804032_o.jpg