Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 69 Cat6 the same as Cat5 for a custom VDI cable?

1 minute ago, psarkissian said:

It's a normal thing to be shielded. If it's not, then it's cheap garbage. 

Makes no difference and is a moot point, since CAT6 use with our product is the wrong cable to begin with.

Great! Thanks so much for the quick and thorough replies. Much appreciated.

Should just get a normal VDI cable, since it's designed just for that. CAT5 and CAT5e

is normally for the FBV Floorboard connections, or for use interfacing to Monkey and

Workbench HD. VDI cable is for playing thru. Don't go beyond 25ft as impedance starts

to play a bigger role in performance beyond that length.

Yes. The Ethercon Canon casings make for good lock. Jiggling and loose connections

can cause transient on the lines that can damage circuitry in the guitars.

It would be easier and less time consuming to get a VDI from the music store, rather than

making one yourself.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jeremystern said:

Thanks, Phil, but that page no longer works and I can't find it anywhere on the line6 site. Any ideas?

By "no longer works", what do you mean exactly? I double-checked, and even if I'm signed out, it still shows up for me. Here's what I see:

171556c3-666a-4ad4-8356-33ef8396b4b0.png

Are you somewhere other than the US?

On 5/1/2019 at 10:03 AM, SchulzeJ said:

Sorry to contradict, but Cat 6 will work just fine. All the CATegories are downward compatible.

In a computer world you are right, but a Variax is NOT ethernet and neither are other Line 6 products. They just re-purpose CAT 5 for their own products. 

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

In a computer world you are right, but a Variax is NOT ethernet and neither are other Line 6 products. They just re-purpose CAT 5 for their own products. 

That's what I thought, too. I trust psarkissian! :)

• Like 1

SchulzeJ,... yes, up to a point.

It has to do with the frequency/bit rate of the application. Since this is such a topic here,

I have chats about this every year at the trade show and through social media with my pal

Steve Lampen of Belden Cable,... he writes books on this stuff, and confirms the info I bring here.

Along with CAT6 and CAT7 performing poorly with our gear, because our gear runs outside

the optimum frequency bandwidth of those cables. There are subtle differences between the

three CAT's and that makes all the difference. CAT5, CAT5e are the ones to use with our gear.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

Thanks, brue58ski. I bought this one instead because its 3 meters (I didn't need/want 25 feet) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5G3AQM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1