Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix, mic, backing tracks, mixer help?

pressthe6

Hello much smarter people than me. Hopefully someone can understand my question and offer some advice.

Currently I am running an IPad  (OnSong app) into Helix with Midi via USB. I have figured out how to use the Helix to change songs on the IPad and even start/stop backing tracks within the IPad app. The problem is... each backing track has a slightly different level and obviously Helix patches have different levels so it is a royal pain in the butt to try to match each preset to each backing track. I’d like to add a mic also, but now I’m trying to mix 3 sources. 

So I’d love to add a tiny/cheap mixer to be able to adjust Helix/Backing Track/Mic on the fly BUT also keep the Midi capabilities to change songs etc... It’d be a shame to go iPad direct into mixer (if possible) and lose all that wonderful Midi stuff (of which I know 5% of). Or even better, have the mixer remember all the settings and send them out automatically?  Is this fantasyland stuff?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, pressthe6 said:

Currently I am running an IPad  (OnSong app) into Helix with Midi via USB. I have figured out how to use the Helix to change songs on the IPad and even start/stop backing tracks within the IPad app. The problem is... each backing track has a slightly different level and obviously Helix patches have different levels so it is a royal pain in the butt to try to match each preset to each backing track. I’d like to add a mic also, but now I’m trying to mix 3 sources. 

IMO.... the best solution is to balance the volumes of the backing tracks so they are consistent and save them as such... then balance your presets so they are consistent and save them. A little effort up front makes life easier down the road :) 

However.... here are a couple of approaches to consider...

How do you monitor the iPad? Is the audio (backing tracks) routed through the Helix? If so... find a way to control the levels withing the Helix rather than using midi CC messages. It's relatively easy to adjust various input/output levels on the Helix. 

If the iPad and Helix are separate then a deep look into the midi implementation is your answer. Check with OnSong to see if there is a way to adjust volume via a MIDI CC. If the option is available, simply set the helix to SEND that MIDI CC to OnSong... 

• Like 1

Thanks codamedia.

Balancing the backing tracks (bt) and patches ahead of time is best but WAY too much work. Not only would I have to balance each patch to each bt, but then balance every one with each other for a gig setting. 

Yes, audio is through helix via usb cable. The same cable that carries the Midi data.  Not sure how to adjust that audio. That’d be half the battle. 

Not only would I have to balance each patch to each bt, but then balance every one with each other for a gig setting. 

I think you are over thinking this...

1. Get all your backing tracks to the same level. (Personally, I would not work with backing tracks that are all over the map in regards to volume)
  2. Get all your presets to the same level... 
  3. NOW > You only need to balance the Helix to the Backing Tracks one time... not song to song & patch to patch 

Balancing the backing tracks (bt) and patches ahead of time is best but WAY too much work.

Prep work is always worth the time :) (IMO)

Yes, audio is through helix via usb cable. The same cable that carries the Midi data.  Not sure how to adjust that audio.

Global Settings>Ins/Outs, "USB 1/2 Input Trim" should adjust the level of the audio coming from your iPad... however, I don't think there is a way to change that from preset to preset. 

Check with the software (app) to see if there is a midi implementation chart... and whether or not you can control the volume. 

I don't know what format your files are in, but I use MP3 Normalizer to normalize the audio level of all my files for use in my car audio systems. That app normalizes files in seconds, so you can do a huge library in hours, and it maintains all the tags and folder structures. By far the best solution is to get your backing tracks at the same normalized level.

• Like 2

all good points coda.  going to work on it today.  yes I overthink many things.  if only there was medication for that... that someone would share... :-)

soundog, that app is mac only so I tried MP3Gain.  hopefully it works!  thanks for the tips guys.

• Like 1