Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I load custom impulses responses to pod HD500x?

Cturri10

Hey everyone, I recently got a pod HD500X and after sitting with it for quite some time I was wondering if I can improve tones by loading custom IR's into the unit. I have been searching for information but not sure I have found the answer.

Is it possible to load custom IR's (as is the case with the mooer radar for example) or would the use of custom IR's only be possible with a dedicated unit such as the radar or 2 notes torpedo after the pod HD500X (from what I have gathered this seems to be the case but not 100% sure)? Thanks in advance!

Had a bit of spare time and don't have the manuals to hand. I know, I know, I could have looked them up and searched through but I thought a post here would be quicker as the forums are filled with much more experienced users who could help provide an informative answer. 

I knew I would run the risk of a sad case sitting at the ready for a new post who would spend more time writing an utterly useless response (within 8 minutes of it being posted) than being of any use what so ever. A simple 'yes you can load IR's' or 'no you can't' would have been less time and energy for you...and me (by in writing this) and would have been helpful. If you have nothing worth while saying then don't. Unless you are serious in your reply...in which case please accept my most sincerest of apologies and thanks! As I said mine are not to hand :-)

You would certainly know had you took the time to search the 10 years worth of posts available for the device. 

But, you know, we can't expect you to do something. 

For the record - 

I am a super nice guy. 

Just not to lazy lollipopers. 

• Like 1

"We can't expect you to do something"? Is there a thread that can make sense of that sentence? Do you devise useless and discouraging posts with others or are you being a rascal and speaking for all forum users? 

What you could do is not be that person who snuffs people with (evidently) far less experience of line 6 gear and the forum, this being my first ever post. 

You seem it....thanks for all your super niceness, I'm convinced.

I think it's always a good idea to read manuals. There's a lot of good info in there and I find one can usually answer their own questions quickly, especially as a novice, without having to post a question here and wait for someone else to respond.

On the other hand manuals generally just talk about what the product does - not what it doesn't do. I doubt that you'd discover directly in the manual that the HD500 does not handle IRs; you'd have to deduce that from the fact that IRs are never mentioned.

Ye thanks, was just eager to get a good tone from it but didn't have the manuals handy unfortunately. 

TBH feel a bit underwhelmed with it so far. Feel like I am spending so much time dialling in a tone that I am not even practicing! Seen people using cab sims after it to improve the sound but by the same token I have played with others who have used it on its own (for metal) and they sounded really really good! Maybe need some more tweaking so I'll stick with it for now. 

Pianoguyy is very helpful but can also be a lollipop.  He's like that to everyone so don't feel singled out.

Anyway, there are some aftermarket gadgets that will let you to CustomIRs with the PODHD but you have to be very careful not to overdrive them.  The PODHD will take quite a bit of time to get the tones you want.  Once you get over that learning curve of do's and don't's it'll pump out some very nice tones.  That was a big complaint about the PODHD was the presets were not very good.

Some "Do's" and "Don'ts" to be aware of:

1) Make Input 1 guitar and Input 2 something besides guitar, otherwise it doubles the input volume and overdrives everything.

2) Play with Input impedance.  Usually the default is fine but sometimes a lower Input Z helps with fizz.

3) Try different cabs and mics.

4) Start with a simple patch and EQ till it sounds good.  EQ is key.

Nice one! I'll have a look at those setting as I have just been dialling in tones and not really focused on that side of things! 

I got it to gig with after hearing some really good tones from other heavier bands. I'm now concerned with what it will sound through different amps or through a PA (besides finding a tone to begin with) as I don't have a PA to test it out through but been reading about that being a good way to use it! Just looking for a good metal tone and for consistency. Who knows, I'll keep at it for now and thanks for the tips, appreciate it!

16 minutes ago, joel_brown said:

Some "Do's" and "Don'ts" to be aware of:

1) Make Input 1 guitar and Input 2 something besides guitar, otherwise it doubles the input volume and overdrives everything.

I was under the impression that this was much less of an issue with the newest firmwares. Is that the case at all?

I found what I was thinking of - it's not the newer firmware, but just some tests that were done to show that Input 1: Guitar/Input 2: Same is not the worst way to go.

Here's one discussion - by the end there was a comment to this effect:

https://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/74045?start=0&tstart=0

Later these two had a much more thorough discussion:

Not meaning to start a war or anything. I just remember using it a couple of years ago and following the initial recommendations (not using Input 2:same) and feeling like stuff didn't sound right. Then I saw the later posts and switched to Same. I had to rebuild patches, but it didn't take me that long and I felt that stuff sounded better. For the record, I am not using low output pickups - my main axe is a Flying V with a 500 in the bridge.

• 1 year later...
On 5/2/2019 at 3:23 PM, pianoguyy said:

You would certainly know had you took the time to search the 10 years worth of posts available for the device. 

But, you know, we can't expect you to do something. 

For the record - 

I am a super nice guy. 

Just not to lazy lollipopers. 

Usually if you have to tell people you’re nice (super nice, even), it’s not true.  

Your actions and how you treat people typically let people know how nice you are. Luckily, we know now. Cheers, mate.  I hope your day got better for you in 2019. ;-) 

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old topic, but just for anyone who happens to open it out of curiosity, as I have, I have this to share....

I’ve added a JOYO Cab Box to my setup and wowee, what a game changer.

I run this after the HD500X then into the P.A. The downside to running it after the POD is that it’s mono, so I have to say goodbye to any stereo patches. I’ve read that people insert it into the FX loop of their PODs, but I find that I get a far better tone running it after. I also use the FX Loop block as a clean boost for solos on every patch and I didn’t want to lose that. I only use my POD in live gig settings, so stereo isn’t all that important. Most live sound guys wouldn’t allow me to run stereo anyway.

I also downloaded a few free third party IR’s for the Cab Box. The JOYO presets are ok, but there are a lot of better ones out there.

Another positive for the Cab Box is that it has a balanced XLR out, so it also acts as a D.I. I run out of the 1/4” jack on the POD to the Cab Box 1/4” in. Also, the Cab Box has midi in, so I’m guessing there is a way to send midi triggers from the POD to change IR’s on the Cab Box for different patches. I’m sure someone will correct me if this can’t be done. I haven’t actually tried it.

I’ve  only used this setup through 3 different P.A’s, but the sound seems to be very consistent, at least nothing that a little EQing on the desk hasn’t fixed. I always use in-ear monitors and one of our sound guys also gives me a floor monitor and my tone is fine with either.

One more interesting thing is that “experts” will tell you that if you’re using an external cab sim loader, such as the Cab Box, that you MUST turn off the cab sims on the POD, but I haven’t found this to be the case. Some of my patches sound better with it all on and others sound better with some of it off. Whatever works is the best rule.

I guess I could sell the POD and Cab Box and go buy an POD GO, or something like that, but I really love the features on the HD500X, so this is really working well for me.

I hope that somebody finds this helpful!

8C41EC2A-DE1A-4E18-915F-89CD0B7CA947.jpeg