Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Custom Tone access when buying 2nd hand

Berserker26

Hi All, bought a Helix a week or so ago 2nd hand and trying to use the custom tone download feature. Asks me for a serial number, place of purchase, date of purchase etc...

Serial number I can get however I'm not sure of the other 2 and if the previous owner already registered the Helix when he owned it.

Is there a way I can access the custom tone feature without this info?

Just enter the S/N, Date of Purchase, and choose OTHER: USED for WHERE DID YOU PURCHASE. Receipt is only required for warranty service.

It shouldn't matter if the previous owner registered it or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berserker26 said:

Hi All, bought a Helix a week or so ago 2nd hand and trying to use the custom tone download feature. Asks me for a serial number, place of purchase, date of purchase etc...

Serial number I can get however I'm not sure of the other 2 and if the previous owner already registered the Helix when he owned it.

Is there a way I can access the custom tone feature without this info?

I don't think you even need a registered product to use CustomTone unless something has changed. You just need a Line6 login. If you go try to download any preset from CustomTone, if you are not already logged in you will be prompted to either login or create a login. You don't need a registered product to do that and as soon as you have created a login you should be able to download presets. At least that is the way it has worked in the past.

https://line6.com/customtone/

• 2 years later...

Hi all, 

I bought used as well but the former user scratched off the serial number from the bottom of my hx stomp. I don't have a box or anything either. 

Is there anything I can do?

It says that I have the option to register my product or download software but I'm confused... why would I need to download software? Shouldn't that be a both/and?

1 hour ago, ericrardin said:

Hi all, 

I bought used as well but the former user scratched off the serial number from the bottom of my hx stomp. I don't have a box or anything either. 

It says that I have the option to register my product or download software but I'm confused... why would I need to download software? Shouldn't that be a both/and?

You don’t need to have the Stomp registered to download any of the relevant software. It really only matters with respect to the Helix Native discount or warranty coverage.

9 hours ago, ericrardin said:

Hi all, 

I can only think of one reason to scratch a serial number off anything. Two if it's a gun.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well that's new

7 hours ago, ericrardin said:

When I try to download something, this is why I can't download: 

image.png

Well that's new... on the bright side, Line 6 has actually done you an enormous favor. They have saved you countless hours of downloading and auditioning patch after useless patch from the Sewer of Wasted Time that is Customtone...;)

On a side note, I'll give 8 to 5 odds that you've purchased a stolen unit...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, ericrardin said:

image.png

Well you could always purchase some software to gain access but that unit definitely appears at first blush to be stolen barring the incredibly low likelihood that it encountered abrasive surfaces solely and coincidentally where the serial number was located. Perhaps they scraped off when it fell off the back of a truck. Bad mojo!

17 hours ago, ericrardin said:

image.png

Hi,

Well that’s new, but I wonder if it is a result of this. You may be the first, although probably not the last.

I bet it’s a situation where you cannot contact the person who sold it to you for a refund.

Hmm… caveat emptor - once again.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT: All presets suck

But if you really must - these are free - sign up for membership.

https://www.fluidsolo.com/patchexchange/?selected_device=hxs

Edited by datacommando
Edit - added link

• 2 years later...

spider v120 From Guitar Center and a FBV3 from Musiciansfriend.  Both were purchased new and cannot reqister either one because it says serial number doesn't match product and I've reentered them several times and checked against the label and still get serial number does't match product

On 2/12/2024 at 3:53 PM, teddyoverbaugh said:

spider v120 From Guitar Center and a FBV3 from Musiciansfriend.  Both were purchased new and cannot reqister either one because it says serial number doesn't match product and I've reentered them several times and checked against the label and still get serial number does't match product

Hi,

This is a Helix user group and yours looks like an issue for Customer Support - nobody here can assist with this sort of problem.

https://line6.com/support/tickets/

If you need assistance from other users of the Spider amp, or FBV they can be found in other areas of the forum.

https://line6.com/support/forum/89-spider-v/

https://line6.com/support/forum/45-fbv-controllers-mki-mkii-3/

Hope this helps/makes sense.