Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix to Powercab Cable?

MikeTGreen

Hi everyone,

I just got a used Helix last week and can't believe how good it sounds. For the past week I've been running straight into my tube amps till my powercab comes in tomorrow.

It's the regular version, not plus.

I noticed in the manual it says I need a 1/4" Balance TRS cable.  So I assume I can't hook into it with a standard 1/4 instrument cable, is that correct?

Thanks,

Mike

On 5/1/2019 at 10:52 PM, StringsOnFire said:

Hi, a standard instrument cable is a TS cable but that's not a problem. You can use it as usual :)

You could use a instrument cable to connect the helix to the powercab but this would be the least preferable option.

It's much more preferable to use either the analogue XLR outs/ins (with a mic cable) OR the digital AES/EBU outs/ins (with an AES cable). Both options happen to use XLR connectors but are different. The choice between these two gets a little technical but either is better than using an instrument cable.

One other thing to consider is how much distance you plan to have been your helix and powercab - both typically and at maximum. It's a bit cheaper/more reliable to use the analogue XLR method for longer distances.

On 5/6/2019 at 7:46 AM, yrebrac said:

It's much more preferable to use either the analogue XLR outs/ins (with a mic cable) OR the digital AES/EBU outs/ins (with an AES cable). Both options happen to use XLR connectors but are different. The choice between these two gets a little technical but either is better than using an instrument cable.

The non-plus powercab hasn't got the AES/EBU link, it only provides the XLR input/output. ;)

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 5:30 PM, SteveFrance said:

The non-plus powercab hasn't got the AES/EBU link, it only provides the XLR input/output. ;)

Good point, so the AES is not an option, but the XLR is still much more preferable being balanced - more resistant to noise and signal degradation.

My distance is less than 10'.  I'm using a 10' Mogami Gold instrument cable and it sounds great to me.  But, I will definetely try the standard XLR as you all have suggested.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

BTW everybody, I currently own 5 high end handwired tube amps, four pedal boards consisting of all the top name best pedals money can buy.

I'm completely blown away at how good the Helix sounds running into my Powercab.