Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench HD2.15 - Alt tuning preset

Guest abonica

It doesn’t promise to show what is currently selected, it was updated to reflect what is printed on the silkscreen of the knob of the connected guitar. JTV-89/89F and Shuriken users will appreciate this. JTV-59 and 69 users won’t see a difference, as the silkscreen on the knob always matched what was shown in Workbench HD. If you want to know what Alt Tuning slot is currently selected, simply look down at the knob. 

Tanks to both of you,

do I sense sarcasm in your answer, abonica? Just in case you were wondering about my stupid question: It's not so stupid, after all. When you store your own alt-tunings on your guitar, the silkscreen on the knob is completely worthless. So showing the preset in the software would make sense. But I do admire your low-terch common sense approach. It's probably the best we are going to get from Line6.

Guest abonica
1 hour ago, SchulzeJ said:

Tanks to both of you,

do I sense sarcasm in your answer, abonica? Just in case you were wondering about my stupid question: It's not so stupid, after all. When you store your own alt-tunings on your guitar, the silkscreen on the knob is completely worthless. So showing the preset in the software would make sense. But I do admire your low-terch common sense approach. It's probably the best we are going to get from Line6.

No sarcasm intended, sorry if you felt that way. By the way, I’m the Product Manager for Variax Guitars here at Line 6, so I’m happy to clarify as much as I can for you. True, once a custom tuning is saved over a default tuning, then the silkscreen is essentially no more than a location name. Prior to this update, users of JTV-89 and Shuriken series Variax guitars had an additional level of confusion as the alt tuning preset manager window displayed the silkscreen in the POSITION column for the JTV-59/69 and Variax Standard only. To alleviate at least that layer of

complexity, I asked the team to implement the feature in v2.15 where the POSITION column of the alt tuning preset manager matches the silk screen on the currently connected guitar. Of course the tuning saved in each location does show in Workbench HD, but there is no highlighting or anything to indicate which position you currently have selected (hence the only solution is to look down at the knob). Without a display of some sort on the guitar, there’s no way to show the user which tuning is saved to which slot. Personally, this is why I don’t even bother saving tunings to the guitar and simply save my alternate tunings on a per preset and even per snapshot basis inside Helix. That way, any Variax HD guitar I connect to my Helix gets the correct tuning applied, regardless of what is saved on the guitar. 

Guest abonica
On 5/1/2019 at 9:47 PM, SchulzeJ said:

Hi everybody,

Workbench 2.15 promises to show the alternate tuning preset selected on the guitar in the PRESET selection field. Mine doesn't. What about yours?

Thanks.

Just to help clarify for anyone else who happens to come across this thread, the release notes for Workbench HD v2.15 read:

Enables Alt Tuning Preset Manager "Position" column to dynamically update in order to match connected guitar's tuning knob silkscreen.”

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I probably interpreted something into the release notes, which I subconsciously wanted to read there. Sorry, but I have the perfect excuse: I be German and my English no good. On the other hand: Wouldn't it be a nice feature of 2.16 to reflect the selected alternate tuning in the edit field? The software knows it anyway, as a click on the "Manage" button shows. As for the Helix: I am sure it is a nice tool, but I already have a POD xt live, a POD X3 pro, a Variax 500, a Variax Standard and a JTV 59 and I had to learn that Line 6 prodcuts often enough are not fully downward compatible. So the Helix would only solve a part of the problem and might create others (one of them being a considerable hole in my wallet). I will stick to what I have for a while and keep dreaming of software improvemets, exceptional customer care, ...

An actual product manager?! Wow, maybe dreams come true sometimes.

Greetings,

Joerg.

Guest abonica

Hi Joerg,

I think you'd get along great with our marketing manager in Europe. He's also German and full of sarcasm. ;-) As for future updates, I can't make any promises. As for Helix, of course it's a totally different beast than previous POD products, as such is not compatible with POD presets and comes in at a higher price point. POD is still a totally viable option, so if it works for you, that's great to hear. Just wanted to make you aware of the options that are available in today's market, as well as some insight into the solution that I and many others use. I'm out of the country right now for a family emergency, so please excuse my brevity. Hope you continue to enjoy your Line 6 products. Have a great day!

Thanks,

Andrew