Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Exploring deeper functions of Helix - USB control??

themetallikid

So I've seen some threads where people are using their Helix to control other devices via Midi (of course, I've done that with other rigs), but I could have sworn I've seen people controlling apps in tablets via USB. 

Am I crazy? 

How do I know if my amp will accept that, or how do I begin to set that up?  I do some acoustic shows and have a library of songs and would be great to assign a stomp or two to page up/down during the performance.  Is this possible? 

25 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

How do I know if my amp will accept that, or how do I begin to set that up?

Does your app have a manual?

Does your tablet have a midi interface?

The midi interface will get the midi messages from the Helix to the tablet to the app.

The manual will tell you what midi messages are required to control it.

Once you've read the manual, come back and tell us (specifically) what you need  to do. We'll be happy to help.

4 hours ago, themetallikid said:

but I could have sworn I've seen people controlling apps in tablets via USB. 

Just to clarify what seems to be a misunderstanding... (and it is a common misunderstanding)

They are not "controlling apps in tablets via USB", they would be "controlling apps in tablets via MIDI over USB". 

Understanding that, "rd2rk" has already addressed everything that matters. 

I use my Helix floor to control Ableton Live and also sometimes apps on my iPad ( Loopy or Group The Loop )

Helix has really good flexibility with the variety of options you have for setting up MIDI messages - CC, CC Toggle, Note  etc. - so I have not yet encountered a situation that Helix could not be set up to control - unlike some simpler devices which can only send one type of MIDI message.

As @rd2rk says you need to see the manual of the app on your iPad / laptop and check out which features can be set up for MIDI control.

If you use an iPad you need a "CCK" Camera Connection Kit that to connect to Helix via USB and that sorts out the MIDI messages on the way.  If you have a mac laptop you just plug a regular USB in and the connection carries MIDI as well as 8 channels of audio both ways.  I think PCs works the same - but don't ask me about ASIO drivers of the like.. I am sure you can get it to work fine but I gave up that game a long time ago!   I think Android tablet might recognise Helix's MIDI right away if you can get the correct USB lead to go from Helix to the devices micro / mini usb (but I am just guessing - so I may be wrong!!!)

Failing all of that you can just plug a regular MIDI lead out from the back of Helix and use a regular MIDI interface on your device.

Helix is GREAT for controlling other things.

I wish Helix Control could be used standalone for this purpose.  I'd buy one (or two) more :)

I have 6 of the footswitches on my helix dedicated to controlling the bandhelper app on my ipad.  That leaves 2 switches to change settings for my guitar tone (I use a different patch for every song) and 2 switches to control effects on my voicelive rack via midi.  It might seem weird but bandhelper is kind of the command center for my rig and it displays the lyrics for the songs.  It’s actually kind of cool in that if I hit the footswitch on my helix that is dedicated to advance bandhelper to the next song, band helper in turn sends a midi command back to helix telling it what patch to pull up and the helix then tells the voicelive rack which patch on that device.   It was a pain in the butt to set up as I had to assign all those footswitches to do the same thing per patch and there’s no shortcut for that but it was worth tht effort.

yeah for acoustic I only really run 1 preset with 4 snapshots....clean/chorus/clean with delay/lead.....so I wouldn't need the advanced programming that you use Litesnsirens....however, I would run it in 4 stomp/4snap mode then and use the stomps to advance page(s).  Though I suppose if I ever ran a regulated setlist I could do what your intending.  I just usually call songs on the fly though. 

I'll have to dig into my Setlist helper app tonight when I add some more songs

Yeah I just looked up the apps website and found out it hasn't been updated for about 5 years....so, thinking its time to export and import my stuff into a more recent app.  I'll look into the Bandhelper app. 

The only thing I could find on the Setlist helper page was a link to a Bluetooth pedal that you could purchase.......so, thinking just with that option alone its time to move on as I have a great tool already in-house.

3 hours ago, themetallikid said:

Yeah I just looked up the apps website and found out it hasn't been updated for about 5 years....so, thinking its time to export and import my stuff into a more recent app.  I'll look into the Bandhelper app. 

The only thing I could find on the Setlist helper page was a link to a Bluetooth pedal that you could purchase.......so, thinking just with that option alone its time to move on as I have a great tool already in-house.

Bandhelper is a subscription version of setlist maker.  Bandhelper has a few more features like being able to edit on computer but functionality at a gig is pretty much even.  you can control either via bluetooth ... but you can do all the same stuff via midi over USB as well, which i prefer actually... but i was tired of too many gadgets on the floor.  Being the singer as well it’s easier to landmark a single device.

I looked into it, and with the 'pro' version.....$6/month or so, that aint bad anyway.  We have a band kitty I'll take it out of.   RIght now we use Google calendar for our gig schedules and such, but a couple guys have work phones and don't like adding an extra email account....so an app with notifications will be easier for them to sync with.  Lots of neat features...

I created an account with Bandhelper, just having a hard time exporting/importing my list of songs from Setlist.  I found instructions on the Bandhelper side, but they don't seem to match up with what I see in Setlist helper to export it with the right file type.  Only had a short time to play with it though...maybe more tonight.