Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd500 Cycles Through Presets Spontaneously

scragle

I have a 2 year old POD HD 500 that I love, but lately it has been misfiring: intermittently, usually when I stomp a new preset, the LCD screen will show that I am moving through the ranks or rows (i.e. rows 1-16) as if I were stomping the up or down button, but I'm not touching it. Sometimes I can arrest it, but it's very disconcerting when I need to hit my next preset.

I use the pod with a JTV-69 Variax which has also had occasional issues, but it's working fine now.

I am up to date on firmware, drivers, etc via line 6 monkey. Is this something I can trouble shoot at home, or is this something that needs to be sent in?

If a reset doesn't fix it, it sounds like maybe a shorting switch.  There's a video on how to maintain the switches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-JUStkzZ0I#t=2

Might as well clean them all, and stretch the springs a little, or replace them if you can.  Not sure I would oil the switches as he does at the end.  I'd be concerned the oil might seep down and gum up the contacts.  The pot/switch cleaner spray might be safer for that.  It might be better just to skip that step.  Check the contacts on the boards around the switches before putting it back together to makes sure nothing is shorting there.  I used Q-tips and alcohol to clean off contacts.  You could try that on the cable contacts on the footswitch circuit boards as well.  Touch an outlet ground right before taking off the boards so a static discharge doesn't burn out a chip or something. 

If a reset doesn't fix it, it sounds like maybe a shorting switch. 

Thanks man--I watched the video and took my pod apart. I found the up and tap buttons are worn out and need replacing. The internal spring in the switch is broken on the up button and touchy but functional on the tap. The rest are fine.

Where do I find replacement switches? I can solder them in no problem, just need to get my hands on a couple...

Thanks again.

Great!  Can't help you with finding replacement switches, but the guy in the video says they are pretty standard.  Do some research until you locate some.  They shouldn't be too hard to find.  Radio Shack might have them, but something better quality would probably be worth it.  They should be momentary contact switches.  Good luck!