Sign in to follow this  
hurghanico

Does exist a closing cap protector for the old generation Variax VDI connector?

Hello, usually I connect my Variax 700 to the HD500 through the VDI, but lately for specific works I have to connect it periodically to real tube amps, and so in those cases I have to connect the guitar through the standard jack connector..

My concern is to insert the jack plug into the VDI socket by mistake, ruining the delicate pins inside it.

Obviously I try to always be attentive to what I do, but sometimes especially when you're in a hurry a moment of distraction can happen.

I know that the jack plates of the latest Variax models come with a built-in protective cap, so I'm looking for something that can work the same way as a
protective cap and be quick and easy to apply and remove when needed.

Any ideas?

That protective cap you mention comes as part of the package with all Variax models afaik. My Variax 300 came with the cap. Do you just not have it, or is there something different about your V700?

8 hours ago, silverhead said:

That protective cap you mention comes as part of the package with all Variax models afaik. My Variax 300 came with the cap. Do you just not have it, or is there something different about your V700?

As you said above here it seems that all Variax models has the protective cap, if I try a search online all the jack plates have the cap included like in the following pic:

343540.jpg

but the external plastic part of the jack plate of my V700 is like this:

169728.jpg

years ago I bought my V700 second hand and it came already with the capless jack plate like the one above here, then lately I replaced the full jack plate assembly with a new one which I had already at disposal, and it is capless too.

Now after these posts I doubt if the spare part is original or not since it is capless, but at least it works..

What I would like to find is something which could work well as a cap, easy to apply and remove..

At the moment I'm thinking to something rubber made, similar to some types of rubber feet for chairs, if I can find the right shape and size

set-8-tappi-gommini-interni-in-plastica-

table-chair-feet-round-rubber-feet332841

What you're looking for is the rubber cap that I was talking about, that I believe comes with all Variaxes pre-JTV - but I may be wrong about this. One is even included on the Helix VDI-equipped products. I know I have several of them.  It's designed to fit snugly over the top of the VDI socket; it's not the hinged plastic cover that you have. I guess you never received it?

I would contact Line 6 and see if you can get one (or a few) from them at a reasonable price - like free.

• Like 1

AFAIK Gen 1 Variax (500, 600, 700) never used hinged VDI cap.

JTV’s do.  In fact, I found using the hinged cap to be so frustrating attempting to connect VDI I ripped it off 2 JTV59’s and tossed into trash.

As noted by silverhead suitable/similar rubber caps come with Helix LT and POD XT Live/Pro VDI connection and probably other VDI equipped units over the years.  

I never ran into the issue it supposedly solved but I understand how guitar 1/4” could damage the socket if someone goes mid evil during the heat of battle.  Simple little thing, probably find something sooner or later.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, silverhead said:

I would contact Line 6 and see if you can get one (or a few) from them at a reasonable price - like free.

very kind of you :)

21 hours ago, hurghanico said:

I know that the jack plates of the latest Variax models come with a built-in protective cap, so I'm looking for something that can work the same way as a protective cap and be quick and easy to apply and remove when needed.

Obtaining a damaged or cheap ethernet cable is usually not hard;  a lopped-off intact RJ45 connector can be easily inserted and removed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, blekenbleu said:

a lopped-off intact RJ45 connector can be easily inserted and removed

Great idea!!... Bravo!

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

I would be a little concerned if the end of the standard RJ-45 cable end protruded from the body of the guitar. That would leave open the possibility that this protruding end could become a snag/pressure point for anything dragging across that point, resulting in bending of the protrusion and damage to the attached Variax VDI connectors.

It's the same reason that a VDI cable has the shielded ends. With or without an actual cable an unshielded RJ-45 connector could be a liability.

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

I would be a little concerned if the end of the standard RJ-45 cable end protruded from the body of the guitar. That would leave open the possibility that this protruding end could become a snag/pressure point for anything dragging across that point, resulting in bending of the protrusion and damage to the attached Variax VDI connectors.

It's the same reason that a VDI cable has the shielded ends. With or without an actual cable an unshielded RJ-45 connector could be a liability.

It protrudes about 3-4 mm, which thing means that I'm still in the hope to get the L6 rubber caps, if still available (at a reasonable price - like free)..

In the meantime the RJ45 plug alone is still a viable solution untill I play standing up

download.jpg

"... hope to get the L6 rubber caps, if still available "--- still can get. Contact Line 6 Customer Support,

or check the Line 6 web store or Full Compass.

5 hours ago, psarkissian said:

"... hope to get the L6 rubber caps, if still available "--- still can get. Contact Line 6 Customer Support,

or check the Line 6 web store or Full Compass.

Thanks

Since I live in Italy and Line6 web store doesn't sell anything here except software, and the Full Compass web shop doesn't ship to Italy, I've just contacted the Line6 Customer Support.

Check with Support in the EU at YME in Germany, they should be able to get some.

54 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

Check with Support in the EU at YME in Germany, they should be able to get some.

I guess that "YME" stands for Yamaha Music Europe.

Right?

I contacted them, we'll see what they say

Yamaha Music Europe GmbH

Siemensstraße 22-34
25462 Rellingen
Germany

I've been informed by the L6 support guys  that the part number is QN173790  (30-75-0013 // CAP RJ45 JACK PROTECTOR VINYL .692 OD X).

329743.jpg

By googling "30-75-0013" I found this: Variax 700 RJ45 Protective Cover at the Full Compass online shop (which doesn't ship to Italy)

Still waiting the YME reply.

In the meantime I discovered other possible solutions, like the "RJ45 Dust Covers"

s-l1600.jpg

which seem quite easy and safe to use..

on ebay they cost nothing:

2 TAPPO PRESA RJ45 PARAPOLVERE

On 5/7/2019 at 2:13 PM, hurghanico said:

It protrudes about 3-4 mm, which thing means that I'm still in the hope to get the L6 rubber caps, if still available (at a reasonable price - like free)..

In the meantime the RJ45 plug alone is still a viable solution untill I play standing up

download.jpg

If employing an unused RJ45 plug, be sure to run it thru a crimper or equivalent to depress its contacts so that they do not foul spring wires in the socket.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, blekenbleu said:

If employing an unused RJ45 plug, be sure to run it thru a crimper or equivalent to depress its contacts so that they do not foul spring wires in the socket.

You're absolutely right, I hadn't thought of it yet, but who knows if I had already an unused RJ45 plug at disposal, perhaps by observing it I would have noticed that you can't use it as it is, and that it should run before thru a crimper, which tool I don't have.

Thanks for your scruple and precious advice.

At the moment I'm still waiting for a reply from
Yamaha Music Europe to see if they can get me the original cap or not.
In the meantime I think of ordering on ebay that
RJ45 Dust Cover linked in my last post which also seems to me a good solution (not touching the pins at all, like the L6 RJ45 jack protector cap), and also very cheap.

Snagging its handle may be problematic on that friction-fit plug from eBay.

Amazon lists seemingly more nearly flush-fit protector  plugs:  iExcell 12 Pcs Black Ethernet Hub Port RJ45 Anti Dust Cover Cap Protector Plug

(I don't know how to embed an image here)

Line 6 Variax Digital Interface cables employ Ethercon connectors; search for "SCDF dust cap"

If the 5mm or so of plastic RJ45 plug body protruding from a legacy Variax Ethercon socket is problematic for live playing,

I would grind/sand away that 5mm..

I have none to try, but I suppose that a vinyl cap for 5/8-inch OD pipe threads should work.

Caplugs is a common manufacturer for these;  models EC-10, CEP-10, or SEC-10

• Upvote 1

Snagging its handle may be problematic on that friction-fit plug from eBay.

I've already ordered a couple of them for less than 3 euros shipping included, I will report back in about a week if they are easy to use or not.

Amazon lists seemingly more nearly flush-fit protector  plugs:  iExcell 12 Pcs Black Ethernet Hub Port RJ45 Anti Dust Cover Cap Protector Plug

I've seen them previously, but I guess that compared to the other ones I already bought they could be a bit more problematic to take away when not needed, and then I'm afraid that they may go too deep thus touching then the pins (the other ones I bought shouldn't apparently touch the pins at all).

Line 6 Variax Digital Interface cables employ Ethercon connectors; search for "SCDF dust cap"

Yes, I'm still investigating the Neutrik dust caps.

If the 5mm or so of plastic RJ45 plug body protruding from a legacy Variax Ethercon socket is problematic for live playing,

I would grind/sand away that 5mm..

I thought of that solution, but I still have to decide if and which of my still working ethernet cables to cannibalize, on the other hand I don't know if I want to buy a crimper just to make an unused RJ45 plug be ready to be safely inserted in the VDI socket

I have none to try, but I suppose that a vinyl cap for 5/8-inch OD pipe threads should work.

Caplugs is a common manufacturer for these;  models EC-10, CEP-10, or SEC-10

That's also a very good idea, one of the Caplugs models seems almost identical to the L6 one, I should check the measurements to see if they match.

Thanks.

I just found (and ordered on ebay for less than 5 euros shipping included) this dummyPLUG NDF for Neutrik female XLR receptacles which also seems to be an excellent option, perhaps even better than the L6 dust cap:

613-ndf.jpg

hCRW16o.png

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/ndf

For the record:

I finally received both dust protector caps bought from ebay which I mentioned earlier..

The RJ45 Dust Cover fits perfectly into the RJ45 but its handle protrudes by about 3-4 mm and if it collides with something from a specific side it can be tilted by pivoting on the opposite side and coming out of the RJ45, perhaps touching the inner pins (not sure) when it comes out this way with its longer side that goes deeper inside.

Instead the dummyPLUG NDF for Neutrik female XLR receptacles probably because it is still very new, enters the narrow circular space normally reserved for the XLR circular hard metal shell of the etherCON connector, but not entirely, and therefore protrudes even more than the RJ45 Dust Cover mentioned above here, ie about 5-6 mm, but at least it is of even softer rubber, doesn't detache too easily, and never touches the pins under any circumstances.

Momentary conclusion:

the dummyPLUG NDF for Neutrik female XLR receptacles won my preference.

In the meantime apart from the initial automatic reply where Yamaha Music Europe told me that they would respond as soon as possible, I did not receive any other new communication from them, so I still don't have the original Line6 cap.

Thanks for the update. I hope you eventually get the Line 6 cap - it does the job perfectly with no protrusion. But it sounds like you have a good solution now with the dummyPLUG NDF so maybe no real need for the Line 6 cap.

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

Thanks for the update. I hope you eventually get the Line 6 cap - it does the job perfectly with no protrusion. But it sounds like you have a good solution now with the dummyPLUG NDF so maybe no real need for the Line 6 cap.

Yes, the NDF does the job well, it's not visually perfect like the Line6 cap, but it doesn't matter, as long as it protects the pins, that's what I needed.

Thanks again to all those who kindly suggested good ideas in this thread.