Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Stomp + bluetooth speaker

mekel1991

Hi. I currently have JBL FLIP 4 bluetooth speaker and want to buy a helix stomp. I wonder if I can connect Guitar --> Helix stomp --> JBL FLIP 4 bluetooth speaker? So I don't need to buy another guitar ampli or FRFR speaker

THank you

2 hours ago, mekel1991 said:

Hi. I currently have JBL FLIP 4 bluetooth speaker and want to buy a helix stomp. I wonder if I can connect Guitar --> Helix stomp --> JBL FLIP 4 bluetooth speaker? So I don't need to buy another guitar ampli or FRFR speaker

THank you

Well umm . . . errr . . . first off, that's kind of like eating a T-Bone steak off of a horse's lollipop. 

Still, if that's what you really want to do, the short answer is no.  The HX Stomp doesn't have blue tooth. You'd need to buy some sort of adapter to get the signal transferred to your JBL. 

I ASSUME something like that exists, but I would strongly advise against it. Let's imagine it's $50 to do it - okay - but $50 is 1/4 of a Headrush FRFR 108 at FULL price. Get it on sale and it's about 1/3 the cost. This is one case where I think the gains from going bigger are well worth it. Even a small Line 6 Spider V 20 watt for about $130 in flat response mode will sound far better. 

Edit: This is one case where Line 6's insistence on substituting "lollipop" for various swear words actually made the phrase sound much worse. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mekel1991 said:

THank you

All other considerations aside, Bluetooth often has terrible latency... sometimes as much as 500ms, depending on the device. It doesn't matter for passive music listening, because you never know it's there... but most of the time it will be totally unusable for guitar playing. Unless you actually want to hear everything as a slap-back echo, don't bother. 

• Upvote 1

The JBL Flip 4 has a 1/8 inch mini port input which would be much better than using bluetooth BUT that tiny speaker is not going to sound very good. I have a Sony bluetooth speaker that sounds decent for listening to music. While I was in the middle of moving my family, I tried plugging into the little Sony speaker with a 1/4" to 1/8" cable I have since all my gear was packed up. It wasn't much fun playing my guitar through that little speaker. I use an American Audio KPOW15BT with My HX Stomp and I like it MUCH better. Musiciansfriend has the KPOW15BT Mkii as their Stupid Deal of the Day today for $149.99.

• Upvote 1

When on travels I use my Dali katch speaker with laptop / native and zoom uac2.0, all packs neat into my laptop bag.... travel light sounds great...

it sounds great and has enough volume to get some feeling and response, have to set up patches to sound good using this set up, eq important.

Plus the Dali katch has two eq profiles, the bassist profile is perfect for use with electric guitar.

Connection wise it's just a Jack to mini Jack cable from zoom to Dali... ultra low latency too!

Soon I'm getting an HX stomp and when on travels will power it from my portable AC power bank and amplify it via the dali katch....

Sound wise these smaller speakers are greatly affected by placement... to get a nice more bassy fuller responsive sound you want to place the speaker next to a corner of reflective surfaces, eg corner of room... 2 walls to bounce and reflect off increases bass response... doesnt even need to be walls... I have used two large books leaning against one another  to make a corner to place the speaker in to get the reflections... you have to be inventive and creative but you can get a good sound if you have a good speaker which the Dali katch most certainly is... not sure how a lower end portable bluetooth speaker would cope...

One last note cables all important... I use a van damme Jack to mini Jack cable...

Look, soundwise it's never gonna be the same as my powercab plus or THR100HD + thrc2x12 set up... but for on the travels light weight portable set up using equipment I already own its perfect for being able to have fun useable responsive sounds... and the Dali katch used with helix produces in my opinion a better sound and response than the revered Yamaha THR 5 / 10 range that I also have owned, and of course the options and versatility and quality of modelling offered up by helix native / stomp blows the THR 5/10 out of the water... 

You can get great portable sounds with a small foot print but you need to choose a good high end portable speaker... can you justify the cost tho?... your music listening will appreciate the quality speaker for sure.. for me I already owned all the things needed for the set up and the upcoming purchase of hx stomp is something I already have many uses for...

Enjoy