Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix total control of Variax

brue58ski

One thing I don't recall being mentioned that would really open the Variax for me would be for the Helix to essentially have it's own workbench in it. It would be so cool to have various incarnations of Variax models be stored per patch in the Helix and not have to store them all in the Variax. One of the reasons I don't edit the models in the Variax much is it's just too much of a hassle. Workbench doesn't play well with HX Edit at the same time (I do know why and it's a good reason), there's no good way of keeping track of what model I changed and put where, and it would definitely open up the sonic palette that I would use a lot more if I could just have the Helix load up whatever Franenstein guitar incarnation I come up with, per patch, without having to store it in the Variax itself. I have no idea if this is something that is relatively simple to incorporate into the Helix/Variax, or a nightmare but it would be very cool. I'm going to put it on ideascale and I'll put up a link when I do if this is something that interests you. Curious, for now, what people's thoughts would be about this.

• Upvote 1

Helix commands some parameters with the VDI cable and you can programm the Variax passing by this device, so i assume it could work.

But, i think L6 has intentionnally limited the number of parameters to not been drown in an endless variax parameters list (and pages (dot)) in Helix.

Imagine the number of commands ; type of shape, mic, position, impedance, 12 strings, etc......

I'm not hoping for anymore parameters other than what Workbench already provides. It is a lot but no matter how big the menus or whatever, unless you got into them, I would think it would have no effect on the ease of programming anything else. 

New Features (Firmware 2.80)     Not out yet.
  • Variax String Level—Helix can now remotely adjust the level of each guitar string on a connected Variax independently. From the Input > Multi or Input > Variax block, press PAGE > three times and turn Knobs 1-6 to adjust each string’s level. Just like with any amp, cab, or effect, String Level can be quickly assigned to footswitches, expression pedals, or even Snapshots. "Wait. You mean I can assign the expression pedal to swell in the volume of strings 3, 4, 5, and 6? And I can turn down the top two strings for the verse (Snapshot 1) and bring them back in for the chorus (Snapshot 2)? And if the high E is too shrill I can back its volume down to 82%?"
    Yes.

9 hours ago, Indianrock2020 said:
New Features (Firmware 2.80)     Not out yet.
  • Variax String Level—Helix can now remotely adjust the level of each guitar string on a connected Variax independently. From the Input > Multi or Input > Variax block, press PAGE > three times and turn Knobs 1-6 to adjust each string’s level. Just like with any amp, cab, or effect, String Level can be quickly assigned to footswitches, expression pedals, or even Snapshots. "Wait. You mean I can assign the expression pedal to swell in the volume of strings 3, 4, 5, and 6? And I can turn down the top two strings for the verse (Snapshot 1) and bring them back in for the chorus (Snapshot 2)? And if the high E is too shrill I can back its volume down to 82%?"
    Yes.

I am aware of all of that. I want to be able to create a guitar like I can in workbench and save it on a per patch basis. I thought I made that clear. 

I expect full Workbench-like control could be implemented in Helix. But does it make sense from a business perspective? Don't know. It would clearly add cost to the Helix product, while probably only a small percentage of Helix users would benefit. If it were developed and priced as an optional Helix add-on it could make sense (perhaps a Helix Marketplace product?).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, silverhead said:

I expect full Workbench-like control could be implemented in Helix. But does it make sense from a business perspective? Don't know. It would clearly add cost to the Helix product, while probably only a small percentage of Helix users would benefit. If it were developed and priced as an optional Helix add-on it could make sense (perhaps a Helix Marketplace product?).

If it's possible, it would add no more to the cost than any of the other firmware upgrades. In other words, none. Wokbench is just software. It's the device that connects the Variax to the computer, that costs money. Since you can connect to Workbench via the Helix, that connectivity is already there in the Helix. What I do not know is if there are even enough resources to do that in the Helix. If there aren't, and it would require adding more hardware to provide those resources (which is what I think you were alluding to) then I would not want them to implement this. I just don't know if the resources are there. And I was way more trying to see if anyone even had any interest in this. That's more what would be the incentive to invest the time it would require to do implement this. Provided it's even possible with the hardware currently in the Helix. Given the responses I've gotten so far, the interest doesn't seem to be there.

9 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

If it's possible, it would add no more to the cost than any of the other firmware upgrades. In other words, none. Wokbench is just software.....

No, I'm not talking about hardware. I haven't been a software designer for many years but I once was. I think it's important to note that, while just software, Workbench runs on a PC/Mac computer platform. The current connectivity using Helix simply transmits commands to/from the PC and the Variax. I don't think the Workbench software is actually running on Helix;  I think it is not currently capable of running on the Helix platform. So while I have no idea how much effort is involved I'm pretty sure it's not zero.

28 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

If it's possible, it would add no more to the cost than any of the other firmware upgrades. In other words, none. Wokbench is just software.....

To play devils advocate... that's debatable. It would take human resources to program all of the functionality into the Helix, and every hour adds up in dollars and cents. That latest change coming in 2.8 indicates they are trickling in more and more so your dream may become a reality in time, but the vast majority of users would be more interested in amps and effects and there are only so many resources for development to go around. 

On 5/9/2019 at 7:48 AM, brue58ski said:

I would use a lot more if I could just have the Helix load up whatever Franenstein guitar incarnation I come up with, per patch, without having to store it in the Variax itself.

How long does it take to load a guitar from Workbench HD into a JTV or newer model? I use an old Variax and that takes about 10 seconds.... if that hasn't been improved on then I can't see "full functionality" being very practical from the Helix... not in terms of "hot loading" the models as you mention here. 

17 hours ago, silverhead said:

No, I'm not talking about hardware. I haven't been a software designer for many years but I once was. I think it's important to note that, while just software, Workbench runs on a PC/Mac computer platform. The current connectivity using Helix simply transmits commands to/from the PC and the Variax. I don't think the Workbench software is actually running on Helix;  I think it is not currently capable of running on the Helix platform. So while I have no idea how much effort is involved I'm pretty sure it's not zero.

I know all of that. Correct, the workbench software isn't running on Helix. I'm absolutely sure it is not capable of running on the Helix platform since it runs on the mac and pc operating system which the Helix doesn't run on AND that's not what I was looking for. I am looking for the same functionality the Workbench has on the Helix. Not to have the same exact program run on Helix. I would assume that would be ridiculous for various reasons.  And of course, incorporating it would require programming effort. The zero I was referring to was hardware additions and costs. Not time spent programming. Boy, I guess I'm not making myself very clear here.

17 hours ago, codamedia said:

To play devils advocate... that's debatable. It would take human resources to program all of the functionality into the Helix, and every hour adds up in dollars and cents. That latest change coming in 2.8 indicates they are trickling in more and more so your dream may become a reality in time, but the vast majority of users would be more interested in amps and effects and there are only so many resources for development to go around. 

How long does it take to load a guitar from Workbench HD into a JTV or newer model? I use an old Variax and that takes about 10 seconds.... if that hasn't been improved on then I can't see "full functionality" being very practical from the Helix... not in terms of "hot loading" the models as you mention here. 

If you read my statement I said it would cost NO MORE than any other firmware upgrades. NOT that it would cost nothing. I've already commented that I was probing to see what the interest is and that there appears to be little interest and that I didn't know IF there were enough resources to do it. It's in the post you're responding to. Not to be too snarky but did you read it?

The length of time it takes to load would be another "are there enough resources" to do it question. I know it takes awhile to load models from a computer but is the same true between the Helix and the Variax? I don't know and that's one of the questions I have n regard to is it even possible. Please read my posts carefully as I feel like I'm merely restating what I've already said. I'm sorry if they weren't very clear but I thought they were.

And AGAIN, it all seems moot since, as I stated before, there seems to be very little interest in it.

11 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

Not to be too snarky but did you read it?

Yes I did... several times :) 

I thought this thread might be a discussion... I see you really just want to know if were interested so I'll leave it with this.

I'm all for having more control of the Variax from within the Helix... go ahead and post a request to Ideascale, I'll upvote it.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:21 AM, SteveFrance said:

Helix commands some parameters with the VDI cable and you can programm the Variax passing by this device, so i assume it could work.

But, i think L6 has intentionnally limited the number of parameters to not been drown in an endless variax parameters list (and pages (dot)) in Helix.

Imagine the number of commands ; type of shape, mic, position, impedance, 12 strings, etc......

I'm interested in getting a Variax.  If I read this correctly, you can hook the Helix up to PC/Mac via USB and the Variax via VDI cable to the Helix, and edit the Variax via Workbench from PC/Mac with the Helix as a passthrough?  If so, I"M SOLD.

52 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Yes I did... several times :) 

I thought this thread might be a discussion... I see you really just want to know if were interested so I'll leave it with this.

I'm all for having more control of the Variax from within the Helix... go ahead and post a request to Ideascale, I'll upvote it.

Here it is on ideascale for what it's worth.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Total-control-and-editing-of-JTV-Variax-directly-from-Helix-only/952735-23508