Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Adding a block at the front of signal path

ollerenshawian

Hi, I'm very new to Helix, but loving the experience so far !

i'm trying to add a block at the beginning of my signal path for one (or more) of my user saved presets to add a noise gate.

however, when i create a new bock and press the joystick to select the effect i do not get any options other than NONE, all other options are greyed out .

is this finger trouble on my part ?

any help or suggestions greatly appreciated but please go easy ! im in the very early learning stages of both the helix and guitar playing !  

Many thanks,  Ian

That is probably because there is no more DSP available to process other blocks.

If you have everything on one path - say path A - you need to join path A and path B so you then get more DSP (signal processing).

Each path has its own DSP so if you need more, you need to link the paths and move some of the blocks to path B.

I quickly put "dual path in Helix" into youTube and found this and a batch of other videos - didn't look through the whole thing, but I saw the basic setup there, so chances are he knows the system - if not do the same search and pick one of the other videos - you can have 4 paths in fact, but watch the videos!

2 hours ago, ollerenshawian said:

i'm trying to add a block at the beginning of my signal path for one (or more) of my user saved presets to add a noise gate.

Hi Ian,

Regarding having a “Noise Gate” at the very beginning of your chain, it is not necessary to use up one of you FX Blocks for this. The Helix has a “Noise Gate” built in to the Input stage.

If you select the input, where you would set Multi/ Guitar/ Mic/ Variax or whatever, then along the bottom of the screen you can see there are the gate options. Adjust to suit. The only time I think you may need to use one of the blocks for gating is possibly if you are using the send and return to external processors that are introducing noise to the signal path, or special effects (stuttering).

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 2:09 PM, datacommando said:

Regarding having a “Noise Gate” at the very beginning of your chain, it is not necessary to use up one of you FX Blocks for this. The Helix has a “Noise Gate” built in to the Input stage.

That's my way too. 

I  use also the output block for my volume pedal , which for me is a standard in all Rigs. (No change of sound exept Fletcher Munson Effect))

• Like 1