Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Cubase DAW control + midi snapshot change

kazoue911

Hi there,

I have benn using my Helix LT for a year or two now and one of the feature I use the most is midi remote control from Cubase 10. We play to a clic and follow a Cubase project and all my preset and snapshot changes are triggered from a midi track in cubase assigned to helix through midi over USB. What I would like to do now is to get rid of the FBV shortboard MKII that I use to start, stop and navigate through Cubase markers and use Helix to do that instead. The problem I run into is that whenever I go to a certain marker using Helix as my midi remote, Cubase then sends back a midi program change command to Helix in order to go to the appropriate preset. When this happens, Helix then transmit back a midi command to Cubase telling it where it's at and releasing the footswitch now that I'm in a new preset also sends a midi command back to Cubase... this gives some weird behaviors like midi feedback and dual commands (press once but feels like I pressed twice) and most of the time all will fail. Is there a way to seperate the midi channel from the DAW remote from the midi channel from the preset/snapshot control? 

Thank you!

You can disable PC SEND in Globals and that will prevent the Helix from sending it's Preset message (PC#) when Cubase changes it. The CC#61 is ALWAYS going to send on the Base Channel, which is also the Channel that Helix receives on, so if Cubase responds to CC#61 for anything, you need to change that. Any IC commands are going to be sent when the preset loads regardless. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Almost nailed it but I still can't get it to work.

-I programmed all my presets with the same command center values so that I can control Cubase transport from any of my presets

-Cubase sends CC32, PC and CC69 messages to Helix for preset/snapshot switching on midi channel 2

-I've tried every possible combination of midi messages in the command center (MIDI CC, Bank/Prog, Note) on a different MIDI channel (3) and I still get weird feedback issues

-CC64 isn't used anywhere

At this point, I'm not sure whether Helix is the problem or if Cubase 10 is. If I assign no output to the midi track dedicated to helix in cubase, transport control will work like a charm but then, my presets won't change automatically following the track. If I assign the output of the track to helix, transport will respond but:

-I get double the command I asked for (hit stop, helix changes preset, release footswitch, sends the stop command again when the footswitch is released)

-when this happens, my command center gets all deprogrammed, all values are mixed up. 

I'm out of ideas here....

24 minutes ago, kazoue911 said:

I get double the command I asked for (hit stop, helix changes preset, release footswitch, sends the stop command again when the footswitch is released)

The behavior you're describing is what happens when a NOTE message is set to MOMENTARY. If you're using a NOTE message for the STOP command, check to see if it's set to MOMENTARY.

• 2 weeks later...