Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't send dual cabs to stereo

CorporateSlut

Hi guys,

This may be complete n00b, so apologies. I have Helix LT - and I love it. I sold my JCM 2000 and am now running pure digital - and it sounds great. As point of departure.

As I'm running the Helix directly through the PA, I find that I'm very much sitting in the same space as our vocals. When recording in my DAW, I solve this partly by panning several guitar tracks either far right or far left - to create a Phil Specter-ish wall of sound.

What I'm looking for is exactly the same live - running two output tracks that I pan hard left and right. I thought this should be possible with each cab (I'm running a dual cab setup) - but I can't seem to get it to work.

My setup is this:

Guitar --> Noise gate --> Overdrive -->  Amp --> Split --> Cab A / Cab B --> Join --> Modulation effect --> Output --> XLR --> one channel on my PA

I've tried panning left and right in the 'join', but it doesn't seem to give me what I want. That all of Cab A is to the left, and all of Cab B is to the right. I'm running an XLR cable directly into the PA - should I do stereo? And if yes - how to I tell my Helix that the left stereo is Cab A and the right stereo is Cab B?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong - hope you have some tips. Thanks

A single XLR connection is going to just give you a single mono output. If you're just using the left XLR out, the stereo signal from the Helix will be summed to mono, and you'll lose any stereo separation. If you want to run a stereo signal into the board, you'll need to run two XLR cables - left and right - and have to channels on the mixer, panned accordingly.

21 hours ago, CorporateSlut said:

What I'm looking for is exactly the same live - running two output tracks that I pan hard left and right. I thought this should be possible with each cab (I'm running a dual cab setup) - but I can't seem to get it to work.

My setup is this:

Guitar --> Noise gate --> Overdrive -->  Amp --> Split --> Cab A / Cab B --> Join --> Modulation effect --> Output --> XLR --> one channel on my PA

Take a look at the two "bolded" sections above... I don't know if you intended to or left something out but you are contradicting yourself, the upper statement is correct. 

• Make sure that everything after the "join" is a stereo effect as "Verne-Bunsen" says above. If it isn't, it will sum back to mono. 
  • Pan the output block hard left/right
  • Run two XLR cables (L/R) to two separate channels on the PA as "Phil_m" says above.
  • Hard pan those channels Left/Right on the PA
  • NOTE: A assumption is made on my part that you have a PA setup to run in stereo. 

On 5/12/2019 at 2:41 PM, CorporateSlut said:

Hi guys,

This may be complete n00b, so apologies. I have Helix LT - and I love it. I sold my JCM 2000 and am now running pure digital - and it sounds great. As point of departure.

As I'm running the Helix directly through the PA, I find that I'm very much sitting in the same space as our vocals. When recording in my DAW, I solve this partly by panning several guitar tracks either far right or far left - to create a Phil Specter-ish wall of sound.

My setup is this:

I've tried panning left and right in the 'join', but it doesn't seem to give me what I want. That all of Cab A is to the left, and all of Cab B is to the right. I'm running an XLR cable directly into the PA - should I do stereo? And if yes - how to I tell my Helix that the left stereo is Cab A and the right stereo is Cab B?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong - hope you have some tips. Thanks

are you more concerned with the panning of the guitars or the masking of frequencies between the guitars and vocals?    panning isn't going to relieve you of that symptom imo.