Jump to content
d_sic3

HD500 as Controller for HX Stomp?

Recommended Posts

I was just wondering if this is possible though.  I'm not well versed in MIDI nor the Snapshots in the Helix.

 

Can I use my old HD500 to control the HX Stomp via MIDI?

The reason why I ask is due to Jason Sadites' Youtube channel.  He was using morningstar MC6 to control snapshots while leaving the Stomp's 3-button FS to control effects on/off.  I was thinking that I may be able to do that with the HD500.

 

If yes is the answer, aside from snapshots, will I be able to do the following too?

  1. Control effects on/off from the HD500 (as additional FS)
  2. Move to different presets and be able to turn on/off effects from presets (I think this is what they are referring to as snapshots).

 

Your advice is really appreciated.

 

DO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.

1) yes

2) yes, with caveats. Any footswitches set as Stomps (sending TOGGLING CCs) on the HD will send their default values when you select a Preset. If the HXS preset called has an effect ON and another OFF, you'll need to be sure that when you call it (send PC#) from the HD, that the HD preset sends ON (127) for the effect that wants to be ON , and OFF (0) for the effect that wants to be OFF.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

Yes.

1) yes

2) yes, with caveats. Any footswitches set as Stomps (sending TOGGLING CCs) on the HD will send their default values when you select a Preset. If the HXS preset called has an effect ON and another OFF, you'll need to be sure that when you call it (send PC#) from the HD, that the HD preset sends ON (127) for the effect that wants to be ON , and OFF (0) for the effect that wants to be OFF.

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You already got your answer... but I just want to add that before I picked up my LT I was running an HD500 and HX Effects side by side for about 6 months. The HD500 is a really decent midi controller and it tied the two together quite nicely. 

 

If you are new to MIDI... prepare for a bit of a learning curve. It's a great old standard that is fairly easy to grasp, but when you first dive in the terminology might sound more complicated than it really is.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, this thread just got very interesting....

 

so if I have a pod hd500 just laying around and I have a hx-stomp, what can I do to enhance my hx-stomp?

 

can I use the foot pedal on the hd500 as an external  wah pedal?

 

can I use my current 2 button external footswitch to continue changing tones up and down and at the same time use the hd500 to either turn on/off stomp effects or access three snapshots?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you're controlling the HXS with the HD500 you're using MIDI. Appendix B in the HD500 manual tells you how to assign MIDI commands to the HD500's buttons and pedals. The MIDI section of the HXS manual tells you WHAT to assign to those buttons/pedals to control the HXS functions. Dividing the labor between the two gives you the best of both worlds. No reason I can see why you can't also use the external footswitch too!

 

For instance, you might want to use the HXS to select presets and Snapshots, and have the HD configured to send CCs to bypass effects and control the wah and volume (See my previous post for why you might not want to use the HD to select presets on the HXS). Or, use the HXS for selecting Banks/Presets, and use 3 of the HD pedals for Snapshots and 5 for Bypass functions, as well as the Exp pedal for wah/volume.

 

Lots of possibilities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, talonmm said:

so if I have a pod hd500 just laying around and I have a hx-stomp, what can I do to enhance my hx-stomp?

 

can I use the foot pedal on the hd500 as an external  wah pedal?

 

can I use my current 2 button external footswitch to continue changing tones up and down and at the same time use the hd500 to either turn on/off stomp effects or access three snapshots?

 

Almost anything....

Yes....

and Yes....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
18 hours ago, codamedia said:

If you are new to MIDI... prepare for a bit of a learning curve. It's a great old standard that is fairly easy to grasp, but when you first dive in the terminology might sound more complicated than it really is.  


Thanks.  Hope I won't stress myself. haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Additional query..

 

So, I had the hd500 controlling the stomp except for two things:

1. Tempo - not communicating.  Is there a setting I need to be changing in the stomp?  Stomp is not doing anything when I step on the HD500's tempo.

 

2. Preset Reset

**A little bit of background how I set it up..

- HD500 controls the change of presets in the stomp

(i.e., FS1 = 01A, FS2 = 01B, FS3 = 01C, FS4 = 02A)

 

> On preset 01A, I've added an OD and Delay, but are off by default (only used when needed...effect on/off is controlled via HX Stomp FS1 and FS3)

> In order for me not to tap dance, especially when both are ON, I wanted to just step on HD500's FS1 to reset the settings back to OD/Delay off

> However, it's not doing it.  I have to turn them off one by one.  Stepping FS1 twice does not reset the settings back.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

@rd2rk - is that what you are referring to on your #2 statement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the tempo figured out.  It turned out the tempo was not at #64 so I had to change the cc message on the hd500.  I was on #14 previously as I was using the hd500 to control the axe fx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×