Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What the hell just happened ???

donmr

Last 2 shows when I turned up to the show the settings in amp and cab blocks had reverted to the default settings that came with the helix. They were fine during sound check after which I powered the unit down. Powered up for the show and bingo... WTF?? 

Last two shows same problem only the first time it happened the unit was left powered up. 

Any ideas??

many thanks!

don

I am an idiot! I normally use the User setlists but just checked to find that I had indeed been using the first of the Factory setlists. Your suspicion was correct! The actual patches in question had been built from scratch in a User setlist but somehow I managed to get them loaded into the Factory setlist and hadn't realized. Having never actually used the factory patches for ANYTHING, it never occurred to me to check. That said however, is that normal behavior for the Helix to revert one's edited patches to factory settings without being prompted to do so even if it is in the Factory setlists? All the names and blocks in the patches were in place but the setting were reverted to factory. Perhaps a very stark case of RTFM on my part! 

Ok, so I just loaded a bunch of my customized patches in a Factory setlist, power cycled the unit and everything came back correctly i.e. did NOT revert to factory settings. Very strange. I will just make sure I'm using User setlist from now on and hope for the best but I guess the mystery still remains pending further investigations.

Might it be something like phantom power being accidentally applied to the XLR outputs that scrambled the unit? I vaguely remember mention of something like that. Hmmm...

2 hours ago, donmr said:

Might it be something like phantom power being accidentally applied to the XLR outputs that scrambled the unit? I vaguely remember mention of something like that. Hmmm...

Phantom power shouldn't have messed up your Helix. My understanding is that phantom power will not hurt Helix, it just messes with the sound  while its on. 

2 hours ago, donmr said:

I am an idiot! I normally use the User setlists but just checked to find that I had indeed been using the first of the Factory setlists. Your suspicion was correct! The actual patches in question had been built from scratch in a User setlist but somehow I managed to get them loaded into the Factory setlist and hadn't realized. Having never actually used the factory patches for ANYTHING, it never occurred to me to check. That said however, is that normal behavior for the Helix to revert one's edited patches to factory settings without being prompted to do so even if it is in the Factory setlists? All the names and blocks in the patches were in place but the setting were reverted to factory. Perhaps a very stark case of RTFM on my part! 

I tend to work on the principle of Occam's Razor, in that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

In this particular scenario, I would suggest that it is *likely* (but by no means certain!) that you had an earlier version of your presets in the factory setlist.  

If you NEVER use the factory setlists, back them up (just in case you want them back without doing a reset), then write over them with a blank setlist. Now you have that many more presets available!

1 hour ago, Cody_smith said:

Phantom power shouldn't have messed up your Helix. My understanding is that phantom power will not hurt Helix, it just messes with the sound  while its on. 

Good to know. Thanks

1 hour ago, foxmeister said:

I tend to work on the principle of Occam's Razor, in that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

In this particular scenario, I would suggest that it is *likely* (but by no means certain!) that you had an earlier version of your presets in the factory setlist.  

I like that idea. Anything with pilot error involved is more likely for sure. Cheers

52 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

If you NEVER use the factory setlists, back them up (just in case you want them back without doing a reset), then write over them with a blank setlist. Now you have that many more presets available!

Thanks but the number of patches in 1 user set list is more than enough for me. I just don’t use that many. Cheers

3 hours ago, Cody_smith said:

I can attest to this personally. Phantom power totally attenuated my output to nothing. As soon as phantom power turned off, sound was back to normal. No damage done.