Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Randy Rhoads on hx effects

Hoyt0407

Would anyone have the settings to get Randy Rhoads tone on the HX effects. I have a Marshall dsl 40cr amp and the HX effects pedal. I am close but having some trouble getting the tone as close as the helix. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx. 

4 hours ago, Hoyt0407 said:

Would anyone have the settings to get Randy Rhoads tone on the HX effects. I have a Marshall dsl 40cr amp and the HX effects pedal. I am close but having some trouble getting the tone as close as the helix. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx. 

Well your base "tone" really comes entirely from your amp... effects are just the icing on the cake. Your Marshall has whatever inherent characteristics it has, and it'll either be capable of doing a reasonable approximation of whatever Randy was using back in the day, or it won't. The HX FX won't really help or hinder, either way. 

And unless I've read it wrong, you seem to be comparing the tone you're getting from your rig to a Randy Rhoads tone you heard from a full blown Helix... if so, that's the problem... you're comparing a real "amp in the room" to a modeler. They are very different animals.

Ok thx Crusin. I am very new to this hobby as I have played guitar in the past but just recently got back into it and bought some good equipment. The Marshall dsl 40 is a great amp and I spent a lot of time today dialing as best I could. It sounds pretty close and the hx fx is the icing for sure. Thx fo the advice. Still a work in progress. Forgot how much fun this was.

Randy was the best. 

2 hours ago, Hoyt0407 said:

The Marshall dsl 40 is a great amp and I spent a lot of time today dialing as best I could. It sounds pretty close and the hx fx is the icing for sure.

Randy used an MXR Distortion + ... which is a cousin to the DOD 250. While there isn't a Distortion + in the HX, it does have a model of the DOD 250 called the "TOP SECRET OD". That would be a good place to start in regards to putting some "icing" on the Marshall. 

Randy also triple tracked everything... that thickened all of his tones on the recordings. For this I would try a tight delay (under 50ms) with a single repeat. If you use a delay with some light modulation it will sound more like a double track than just a straight up delay will.