Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

recording....

themetallikid

Not directly helix related so.....Mods, please move if this isn't relevant to this forum, its just where I live on here.....

If I want to start recording....nothing serious, just a way to jam and listen back.....I know my Helix can go to cpu....I've just never done this thing before

but what do I all need......

I assume I can send to the cpu via USB?

Best free recording application?  I'd like to import jam tracks or backing tracks of songs to jam to....

9 minutes ago, Rocco_Crocco said:

Reaper is a free DAW and is probably the best choice for Windows. For Apple I have no idea... probably Garage Band?

Your Helix would me you interface so just connect it too your computer.

This.

Reaper also runs on OSX. While it has an unlimited trial period, it's NOT freeware. But when you get ready to buy in, $65 is still the best deal around.

1 minute ago, silverhead said:

After connecting via USB you need to connect your speakers/monitors to the Helix outputs. The Helix becomes your computer's soundcard.

You use the Helix ASIO driver in your DAW, and set Helix as your computer's soundcard to get streaming audio (YouTube, Spotify,etc) to play through Helix.

i'm familiar with Reaper a bit from a band demo I mixed better than our sound guy, lmao....lol....

I'm good with that, though free trial may be used already...oh well....$65 aint bad.  

So can I 'monitor' via headphones in the laptop or the helix?  better choice?  due to child/wife, I dont have 'true' monitor speakers other than built in laptops which are of course not sufficient

9 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

i'm familiar with Reaper a bit from a band demo I mixed better than our sound guy, lmao....lol....

I'm good with that, though free trial may be used already...oh well....$65 aint bad.  

So can I 'monitor' via headphones in the laptop or the helix?  better choice?  due to child/wife, I dont have 'true' monitor speakers other than built in laptops which are of course not sufficient

You'll likely want to use the Helix with headphones. There's an extensive discussion (or three) on here somewhere concerning best phones to use with Helix.

The Reaper free trial is open-ended, so no, it hasn't expired, though if you've got the $65, Reaper gets minor updates almost weekly, so nice to support them.