Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp tuner displaying wrong notes

dmeros

The tuner in my HX stomp works fine except for one issue - it displays the wrong notes!  When I play a low E it says it's a G, when I play A it displays C, the D shows F, the G shows Bb, etc.  I've tried different basses, different presets, checked tuning of the bass of course, tried octave harmonics instead of the root note, scoured the manual, it's set to A=440, tried the different tuning modes, offsets are disabled. . .can't find a solution or even another person who is having the same problem.  I have updated to latest firmware, and it's been doing this since I first got the unit about a week and a half ago.  Defective unit maybe?  

Or the DigiTech Drop that your guitar goes into first is on? Maybe? That is certainly an odd one, and assuming there isn’t something like I (in jest) described above going on I’d most definitely be submitting a ticket or just taking the unit back for a swap if you have a good return policy. If you use a pitch shifter in the Stomp to generate an octave does it produce the correct note or is it a minor 3rd off?

Thanks for the input everybody. .. I've already tried the suggestions, the problem persists.  Like cruisinon2 said above, I think it's service ticket time.  I can actually use the tuner the way it is, I just have to keep in mind that it's showing me the note a minor 3rd above the real note I'm playing. . the tuner function itself works fine.  But still. . ..

Reduce treble with tone control on your guitar.
Harmonics on 12th fret is also a good advice,. if your octave setting is OK  :-)

I also consider this effect on my Helix LT - special with new strings or with an acoustic guitar.

3 hours ago, schuha_at said:

Reduce treble with tone control on your guitar.
Harmonics on 12th fret is also a good advice,. if your octave setting is OK  :-)

I also consider this effect on my Helix LT - special with new strings or with an acoustic guitar.

The OP's tuner has a major issue...no matter what note he plays, the tuner is displaying a note that's 3 semi-tones above the note actually being played. Somewhere an algorithm is failing spectacularly. Rolling off the treble or tuning with harmonics won't help him if he's playing an "A", and the tuner is telling him it's "C". 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, dmeros said:

UPDATE:  OK. .. customer service suggested that I roll back to firmware version 2.70.  I did that, and problem solved!   

Interesting... and it's nice that it solved the problem. But it begs the question, are you now stuck on 2.70? What's to stop it from happening again with future updates? 

They said that it would be something they'd look into for future updates.   

I'm totally guessing here, but it may also be possible that when I updated to 2.71 the first time there was an update error, and if I updated to 2.71 again now I wouldn't have the problem, but for some reason, updating my Stomp is a complete pain in the lollipop (I won't bore you with the details) so I'm not going to try that.  It's working, it's stable, it's doing what I want, and I'm happy where I am right now.  ha ha.