Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

felixflemons

Hi All, 

I'm new to using Amp models and IRs. I own a HX Stomp and i'm crazy about it. I've purchased some IRs from Celestion and Own Hammer and have used them with the amp sims that come with HX Stomp. They sound amazing. I'm very happy. 

My question is regarding the settings when importing IRs. I see there are two slots one labeled 1024 and the other for 2048. Also, the IR files that I have come in a variety of kHz, ms and Bit rate formats. For example, in my Celestion pack there is a choice of importing 200 ms files vs 500 ms files and within those folders, there are several options for kHz and Bit rates. 

I read page 27 of the HX Stomp Users Manual that states: 

"HX Edit updates the HX Stomp hardware's IR list automatically. HX Stomp can load and store up to 128 IRs at a time. 48kHz, 16-bit, mono, .WAV type IRs of up to 2,048 samples are natively supported; however, HX Edit lets you import IR .WAV files of different sample rate, bit depth, length and stereo format, and the app will convert these attributes automatically before sending to HX Stomp".

-and-

"The imported IR is automatically shortened (or lengthened) to 2,048 samples.You may optionally choose a 1,024-sample version from the model list to save DSP, which fades out the IR halfway through".

Ok so, this may sound like stupid questions but like I said earlier, I'm new to all this and don't quite understand what Line 6 is saying. Can someone school me on what all this means and how I should select the IR files for importing to my HX Stomp and how it could effect my tone?

Thank you. 

Line 6 Effects Chain.jpg

Sentence "HX Edit lets you import IR .WAV files of different sample rate, bit depth, length and stereo format, and the app will convert these attributes automatically before sending to HX Stomp" states that whatever IR you upload will be OK and will not affect your tone.

^^^ this ^^^

Don't worry about it. Upload the IR's and let the Helix sort it out. 

When you load an IR in a preset, keep in mind the 1,024 sample uses less resources than the 2,048 sample. If DSP is ever an issue, load the smaller one. It is possible, but unlikely you will actually notice a difference in the quality. FWIW... I always load 1,024's on my Helix, but "who am I" - LOL! 

20 hours ago, felixflemons said:

HX Stomp can load and store up to 128 IRs at a time. 48kHz, 16-bit, mono

BTW. The manual is incorrect. IRs saved from Helix to file are encoded as 32-bit floating point wav files.

• 3 years later...