Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT recording.How many tracks?

jesuscares

37 minutes ago, jesuscares said:

how many tracks can I record simultaneously 

The LT has 6 USB outputs.... plus a dry out for the guitar input, and the variax input. (8 total)

The trick is learning how to route the INPUTS (guitar, variax, return one, return 2)... to the different paths, and therefore various outputs within the LT. 

In all practical purposes.... unless you have a variax guitar, you can route 3 inputs to three outputs... with a variax, you can route 4 inputs to 4 outputs. Things get more complicated if you want something in "stereo". You always require 2 outputs (1/2, 3/4, or 4/5) to create stereo. 

37 minutes ago, jesuscares said:

Does it permit multi track recording?

It doesn't record anything.... it just provides the USB outputs for a DAW. It's up to the DAW to record from multiple inputs... which most (if not all) do. 

1 hour ago, jesuscares said:

Hi guys,

While using Helix LT as an audio interface, how many tracks can I record simultaneously ? Does it permit multi track recording?

Just to clarify what “codamedia” states above, you can find a full description of how to utilise all 8 USB channels available to transmit audio to your DAW  on page 55 of the Helix LT owner’s manual.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3e07b158e5548ea50d4/application/pdf/Helix LT Owner's Manual - English .pdf

The first pair of channels (USB 1&2) carry the fully processed Helix audio to your DAW where it can be recorded in full stereo. USB channels 3 to 8 can be recorded as dry audio signal either as 6 mono or 3 stereo inputs which can be re-amped or passed through the DAW effects plug ins.

Lots of options available - experiment!

4 hours ago, datacommando said:

Just to clarify what “codamedia” states above, you can find a full description of how to utilise all 8 USB channels available to transmit audio to your DAW  on page 55 of the Helix LT owner’s manual.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3e07b158e5548ea50d4/application/pdf/Helix LT Owner's Manual - English .pdf

The first pair of channels (USB 1&2) carry the fully processed Helix audio to your DAW where it can be recorded in full stereo. USB channels 3 to 8 can be recorded as dry audio signal either as 6 mono or 3 stereo inputs which can be re-amped or passed through the DAW effects plug ins.

Thanks for the prompt response.I am planning on recording the band Live so wanted to have the drummer, bass,lead,keys & vocals on individual tracks to edit & tweak  later.Lead ,drums & keys will have to go in stereo.Guess I will do some further reading & see what it says.Unfortunately the XLR has no mic input.

5 hours ago, datacommando said:

Thanks for the prompt response.I am planning on recording the band Live so wanted to have the drummer, bass,lead,keys & vocals on individual tracks to edit & tweak  later.Lead ,drums & keys will have to go in stereo.Guess I will do some further reading & see what it says.Unfortunately the XLR has no mic input.

I just realized that overall the LT has only 1 input ,apart from Variax (which I don't own). In that case I can send only 1 instrument at a time.I wonder whether I can I can feed in 2 other mono instruments using the 2 send/return & those 2 instruments routed separately into 2 other tracks in Logic.That way I can record 3 instruments at a time (maybe guitar in stereo & 1 Bass guitar & I acoustic guitar.

The Helix would be the wrong device for capturing a live multitrack recording of the band.  You may already have a solution for that depending on your mixing board.  If you're using a digital board you probably already have the capability to capture individual live channels simultaneously  onto a USB hard drive that can be imported into a DAW for mixing.  Other than that there are a number o relatively cheap devices that can do live multichannel captures, but the mixing board approach is by far the easiest.

• Upvote 1

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Although your Helix LT has the ability to utilise 8 USB channels, it really isn’t designed for the type of multitrack recording that you describe. The comment posted above is more relevant to your needs.

You really need a mixer for this sort of work - I would imagine the drums would require at least four mics - kick, snare and a pair of overheads. Then a couple of inputs for stereo keyboard, another two for stereo lead instrument. Another channel for bass and one for vox. That’s 10 channels to start with.

• Like 1