Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

hx effects to FOH, possible confusion

sorin_sb13

Good morning,

I'm thinking to buy an hx effects or hx stomp. Pros and cons in both cases, both cases are ok for me,  so I need your help because I am confused by the IR's scope on hx effects and amp sim on stomp hx...

Let me understand: If I use HX effects I'm replacing in fact my pedalboard and I need the amp, than mic for FOH. If my amp get broken, IR can help to go directly in FOH? Or I need amp sim.

I'm really confused now...I was watching a lot of reviews and in some of them was said that hx effects is not audio interface, but in others was said that importing IR's you can record directly in comp or to play in FOH...so works as an audio interface.

Thank you for your help,

Best regards

The HX Effects is not an audio interface, and does not have any amps.... but yes, it does IR's. 

With an IR loaded you can do the following...

• Using 4 cable method you can split the path and load an IR in (let's say) Path B. Path A goes back to the amp without an IR, path B goes directly to the console (recording or live) without the need to mic the physical amp.
  • If you have an "amp in the box" pedal you can place it in one of the loops and put an IR after it. Now you have a full "direct" setup with no need for a physical amp at all.
  • IR's are also very useful for things beyond cabinets... so they still come in handy in that way.

The HX Stomp is an audio interface and has the amps modeling, as well as IR's. It also has the same effects available but the trade off is that you get less effect blocks (6 on a HX Stomp, 9 on an HX Effects) ... and a lot less switches to work with. 

Thank you!!!

So, my amp will be for stage monitoring in this case, without IR just with the effects. As from classic rig. Big advantage will be the path for FOH for a best sound without mic (because of IR)?

And the amp simulation from HX stomp? In my mind was mandatory to have it in order to go in foh directly. Can you please tell me in your opinion, what is better to buy, hx or hx stomp?

2 hours ago, sorin_sb13 said:

Big advantage will be the path for FOH for a best sound without mic (because of IR)?

A lot of people use IR's to FOH for consistency. They don't have another live mic on the stage, mic position is not an issue, there is no room influence to the guitar mic, etc... etc...  Better, or best is not really a part of it, it's consistent and easy. 

2 hours ago, sorin_sb13 said:

Can you please tell me in your opinion, what is better to buy, hx or hx stomp?

My needs are different than yours.... EG: I bought a Helix, that doesn't mean you should :) 

What is important to you?

• Audio Interface?
  • Going direct to FOH?
  • Using a physical amp on stage? 
  • Ditching a physical amp on stage?
  • Integration into an existing pedal board? 
  • Replacing an existing pedal board?
  • Having a lot of options at the control of your feet? 
  • Not needing a lot of options at the control of your feet?
  • Headphone practice (no physical amp)?
  • Having a few effects, or having a lot of effects?
  • etc... etc....

Once you determine what you needs are, choose the HX product that satisfies those needs. 

I know we have different needes, but maybe your experience can be a guide. Helix is too much for me, clear, 1 point SOLVED  (neither LT)

- FOH, amp on stage not bad if I send to FOH one path and no headache with mic's (but I think this is also valid for stomp); small band still use amps/old style

- replacing a pb (can do both)

- I can live with less control options (tempting to have few more)

- headphones can help late evening/night practice

- efects as number...more options with hx effects

- stomp is weightlighter than hx

You think I'm able to decide???  :)

1 hour ago, sorin_sb13 said:

I know we have different needes, but maybe your experience can be a guide. Helix is too much for me, clear, 1 point SOLVED  (neither LT)

- FOH, amp on stage not bad if I send to FOH one path and no headache with mic's (but I think this is also valid for stomp); small band still use amps/old style

- replacing a pb (can do both)

- I can live with less control options (tempting to have few more)

- headphones can help late evening/night practice

- efects as number...more options with hx effects

- stomp is weightlighter than hx

You think I'm able to decide???  :)

If you are planning on going to the FOH, and if your existing amp on stage doesn't have an adequate front of house send, then in my opinion you should choose the Stomp over the Effects because it has the amp models in it along with the IRs.

1 hour ago, sorin_sb13 said:

FOH, amp on stage not bad if I send to FOH one path and no headache with mic's (but I think this is also valid for stomp); small band still use amps/old style

Yes, the stomp can also do this but keep in mind you have less blocks to work with. You will need a LOOP and an IR... so immediately you are cut back to 4 effects. 

Using an amp on stage seems to be an important factor.... that's perfectly fine.... what make/model is it? 

1 hour ago, Kilrahi said:

If you are planning on going to the FOH, and if your existing amp on stage doesn't have an adequate front of house send, then in my opinion you should choose the Stomp over the Effects because it has the amp models in it along with the IRs.

thank you. yes, my amp doesn't have out for FOH. only fx loop, but not help

57 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Yes, the stomp can also do this but keep in mind you have less blocks to work with. You will need a LOOP and an IR... so immediately you are cut back to 4 effects. 

Using an amp on stage seems to be an important factor.... that's perfectly fine.... what make/model is it? 

For me is ok without amp on stage, I used pod 500x...but my band mates doesn't like the idea of playing to FOH (old style)...my amp is tube amp, engl, has only send/return. no DI out

I started from HX effects to replace my pb or to use my distortion pedal in loop of hx, to use patches or  only as pedalF/effects and to go in clean amp. enough effects, enough switches, good sounding, a little helix who fit to my needs.

Than I saw few good reviews for hx stomp...and now I have to choose.

A basic setup would be as follows.... and would work with both the HX Effects or the Stomp.

Guitar > HX Input > "Some Effects" > Loop Send on HX to Amp Input > Amp Send to Loop Return on HX > IR > Output to PA

(note: it can get a lot more complex than this... and there are more options. I'm just trying to keep it simple for this example)

STOMP PRO's (HX Effects Cons)

• You have an Audio Interface should you ever need it
  • You have amp modelling in case you decide to stop using an amp in the future.... or to provide more options immediately
  • The amp modelling can be used for headphone practice

STOMP CONS (HX Effects Pros)

•  You will have a limited number of effects to work with. With a mandatory loop and IR (for your setup) you are already down to 4 effects. If you add an amp you drop down to 3, etc...
  • You have less foot control over your effects... but since they are limited in number that won't matter so much

The bottom line....

If you have your heart set on amp modelling, whether now or later. go with a Stomp

If you intend to use your amp live... the HX Effects provides better options in regards to "number of effects" within a preset.

Only you can decide which is better for you. 

• Like 1

Hi

You say the Helix is too much for you.  Maybe right now with your current solution, but you say you currently use a HD500x.

I too was a HD500x user and got the Helix before the smaller products came out.  Moving from the HD was a relatively small step in understanding and I quickly reached the point of removing an amp from my set-up.  I used some good monitors for the band to hear.  They wanted a more traditional amp thing so I went to a Powercab.

Now I have the best of both worlds (for me, not debating its an amp) - and the next release for the Helix will allow me to control the powercab speaker sims and I expect that will take it to the next level.

All I'm suggesting is think where you might want to be in a while as that could change your purchase path too.  I love having a rig in a box.

I used hd pod and I was close to move to LT. But I realize that I'm not using too much from his capabilities and I spent a lot of time tweeking. 

Now I simplified all with an analog flyrig type pedal, but I miss some modulation effects.

And the best idea to have them without "stepdance" is to have switch block, multieffect...