Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

NEW HELIX OWNER 5/16/19

drewriggsb

Hello to everyone out there!

I just bought the Helix. I took it out of the box yesterday and was overwhelmed with all the technology and my lack of being able to look at it and just "figure it out myself".

What I would like to know how to do is download different pedals "is this called a preset?" and arrange them in different ways. For example. I would like a King of Tone download and have a JHS fuzz sound afterwards. Maybe have a RV-5 type reverb and a digital delay. Not sure how to do this.

I also would like to figure out how to download different amp sounds probably a Morgan amp sound. 

If I download a Patch or Preset or Snapshot what is the difference?

I know this is alot of questions, thanks for making it though! Let me know your best answers! 

Congratulations and welcome to the digital wonderland!

Everything you NEED is in the Helix already. All you need to download is the updates (currently v2.71), and that's one download - the HX Edit DL contains the Editor, the drivers and the FW loader.

I know you don't wanna hear it, BUT....when you DL the HX EDIT file, READ THE DIRECTIONS!!!!

More that you don't wanna hear.....after you're all updated, READ THE MANUAL!!!!!

When you look at the signal chain you'll see little space holder type boxes. Navigate to one. Select an amp+cab to start (RTM!).

Do one in front of the amp. Select an Overdrive. Do one after the amp. Select a reverb. Confused? READ THE MANUAL!

Highlight a device and use the knobs to adjust the settings. Use the PAGE button to see more.

I keep harping on RTM because it really isn't rocket science, but there IS a learning curve. We're happy to help, but there's only a certain amount of hand-holding allowed.

HAVE FUN!

5 hours ago, drewriggsb said:

What I would like to know how to do is download different pedals...For example. I would like a King of Tone download and have a JHS fuzz sound afterwards.

Everything that rd2rk said...

I would only add that the are a finite number of amp and FX pedal models available in Helix. And while it is a considerable and quite varied list, and most of the models do have a "real world" counterpart, they haven't modeled everything under the sun. So you may not find models of everything on your wish list, and you can't currently download any models that aren't included in the latest firmware version.

I suggest watching some youtube Helix tutorials... particularly Jason Sadites' channel. That will get you started. And as boring as it is... read the manual. If you're not familiar with the modeling world, trying to guess your way through it is often extremely frustrating. 

YouTube videos are your friend right now along with the manual. Below are a couple of links for a list of Helix videos from Line6.  Just jumping into a preset and poking around the Editor or the device itself will be eye-opening. The Helix interface is highly intuitive up to a point. After that the videos, manual, and forum can be very helpful.

In answer to your question, when you download a preset such as "King Of Tone" from the Downloads page it is composed of references to blocks/effects that are already loaded in your Helix as rd2rk mentioned.  Think of a preset as containing the pointers to various blocks on your device, their settings, and other crucial info such as routing, I/O, etc..  Also you want to be updated to the latest editor/firmware version in general but definitely if you are going to start downloading presets that may refer to effects or amps that were not yet in earlier firmware versions.

https://line6.com/helix/resources.html

9 hours ago, drewriggsb said:

Hello to everyone out there!

I just bought the Helix. I took it out of the box yesterday and was overwhelmed with all the technology 

What I would like to know how to do is download different pedals "is this called a preset?" and arrange them in different ways. For example. I would like a King of Tone download and have a JHS fuzz sound afterwards. Maybe have a RV-5 type reverb and a digital delay. 

Also, just to be clear as mud, if it's the actual King of Tone pedal model you want that still isn't quite available yet. It's set to be brought with update 2.8 which is expected some time in the next few weeks.

When the OP said he wanted to download pedals that got me thinking.... the way that you can download plugins for DAWS... 

Wouldn't it be neat if there was a multi effects pedal like the helix but some of the coding was open source/available so others could create new, 3rd party, effects for it. 

8 hours ago, jmp22684 said:

Wouldn't it be neat if there was a multi effects pedal like the helix but some of the coding was open source/available so others could create new, 3rd party, effects for it. 

I believe the MOD DUO does exactly that. 

• Thanks 1