Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sonic Port Output Levels

Just curious if anyone else out there has experienced a situation where the Sonic Port 1/4" out and headphone out are really low, to the point they can't be amplified without a lot of noise.  I confirmed the output is fine within the iPad itself because I plugged in headphones to the iPad, which is turned up all the way, and it worked great with the SW controls for volume.  However, if I try to go out of the Sonic Port to headphones or to my Forte Focusrite, I can't VERY limited signal. I also get a weird problem where the reverb is "slurred" or messed up in Mobile Port.  Turning on some effects brings the volume up.  It's weird because another app, BIAS, has the same issue as far as low volume out through the device.  Anyhow, before I open a ticket I thought I'd lean on some knowledge of the user base.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I just got my Sonic Port today and have come here because of the very same problem. Connecting the line out to my bass amp, the sound level is very low, even if I take everything out of the signal chain. The output to the headphone jack is non-existent.  I'm using Positive Grid's JamUp program. Sounds fine if I plug headphones directly into my iPad or iPhone (tried both), but little or no analog output from the Sonic Port itself. I suspect a defective unit, but any advice or insight is appreciated.

I am having a similar problem. Very low levels from the guitar (on both the iPad headphone jack and headphone out on the Sonic Port).

If I turn up the ipad volume to almost full I get to an ALMOST usuable level ... but then all other sounds from the iPad are at a ear splitting level.

Is there a way to adjust the gain on the sonic port?

I have tried both the Mobile POD app and JamUP Pro (both with the volume slider maxed)

Tried two guitars (a regular strat and an active bass)

Tried two sets of headphones (not an issue anyway, since there is plenty of volume in other apps)

Tried two patch cables (they both work fine to my amp)

Ipad Air, IOS 7.0.6

Well I got a response. The tech suggests adding compressor, eq and turn up the amp sim volume.

That doesn't fix the problem for me. I only want to hear the sound of my instrument, no amp, no effects.

I have sent a reply....

I am here with the same issue - low volume (extremely) out of the Headphone Out 1/8" port on the Sonic Port. I have not yet tested the 1/4" output.

I just opened a ticket as well. My iPad's headphone jack is roughly 10x louder than the headphone jack in the Sonic Port. This just cannot be correct.

Adding a compressor and turning the amp up (as stated in an earlier post) is a simply ridiculous answer. I bought this unit BECAUSE it had its own line/phones outputs, and other competing interfaces don't. If this turns out to be a class problem, I would have been better off with a competitor's unit (Apogee, etc.).

If anybody figures out a fix, will you please post it here?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I am having a similar problem. Very low levels from the guitar (on both the iPad headphone jack and headphone out on the Sonic Port).

If I turn up the ipad volume to almost full I get to an ALMOST usuable level ... but then all other sounds from the iPad are at a ear splitting level.

Is there a way to adjust the gain on the sonic port?

I have tried both the Mobile POD app and JamUP Pro (both with the volume slider maxed)

Tried two guitars (a regular strat and an active bass)

Tried two sets of headphones (not an issue anyway, since there is plenty of volume in other apps)

Tried two patch cables (they both work fine to my amp)

Ipad Air, IOS 7.0.6

I'm having the exact same problem. Have tried different cables, guitars, mobile pod and jamup. I have a 100 watt amp at 8 and can hear the acoustic sound of the stings louder than the amp. I, too, pitched the because of the 1/4 inch out. What's the point of the device if you can't use it to play? Tom

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What is your IOS device?

Here my Sonic port VX works great with iPhone 6 Plus and iPad AIR  = both are using IOS 8.1.3

Remember the 1/4" Outputs on Sonic port are TRS Balanced ,and these work best when using a 1/4" TRS to XLR Male cable straight into a PA 

• 4 months later...

I am also having output level issues with the Sonic Port VX. I am using an iPad Air2 with Mobil Pod. The iPad is receiving the audio at sufficient levels (from an Ovation Acoustic-Electric guitar) - can even turn up the guitar and iPad controls enough to cause distortion, so certainly not a problem with the Sonic Port output to the iPad interface. But what comes out of the balanced L and R outputs aren't enough to drive my JBL powered monitors set at -10dBV sensitivity. Other audio equipment drives the monitors fine. I am using TRS to XLR cable. Anyone know what the output level is supposed to be from the Sonic Port?

• 8 months later...

My Apple buds seem to sound OK thru the SonicPort VX headphone port but when using my AKG K-240S or Beyerdynamic DT770 80 OHM phones, the signal is very distorted.  Was it ever determined whether this is a SonicPort issue that Line 6 needs to address via a software or hardware fix before I either exchange my Beyer's for a different OHM version or punt and buy an Apogee One?  Thanks,  --R