Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Not Helix... but still nice to see

codamedia

This is cool, and it got me thinking...why would he go this route? I know why I did it with the Helix — it simplified my set up/tear down. I cannot go back now; I’m converted forever. But a world class musician doesn’t really deal with that issue, I would assume. So, why are some big time artists going this route when they have techs who can and will run complicated analog rigs? 

6 hours ago, steelstringer said:

This is cool, and it got me thinking...why would he go this route?

Convenience and consistency is certainly a huge benefit, but the point is... as you say... he doesn't have to. That's why I find this move so intriguing.... MK spends a lot of time on his tones, he would never compromise. He would only do this if it equaled the tones/feel he was used to... plus gave him the other benefits. 

I'd like to see more details about this move... and I would love to hear it from Mark himself. I'd also like to see if he continues down this path on his next tour. 

I thought twice or more about posting this because I honestly don't care who plays what. But I'm a fan of modeling/profiling... so when a player with this much influence, touch/feel/tone actually makes the change, I think it's a good day for the future of the technology. 

On 5/19/2019 at 5:58 AM, steelstringer said:

This is cool, and it got me thinking...why would he go this route? I know why I did it with the Helix — it simplified my set up/tear down. I cannot go back now; I’m converted forever. But a world class musician doesn’t really deal with that issue, I would assume. So, why are some big time artists going this route when they have techs who can and will run complicated analog rigs? 

Even with techs you have to compromise at a certain point. Maybe he wanted to have a different amp for each song? Maybe amps that can't be brought on tour?

Mind you he probably didn't use standard amps like most of us do, but profiled his favorite tone out of his personal collection of amps.

That's a variety that can't be achieved with analog gear

• Like 1

One of the best guitarists, who in the last few years has been very much involved with traditional blues and who actually paints every note with his excellent playing technique, now uses a modeller on stage. 
It won't be due to the lack of experience of his sound engineering crew.

Pragmatists will easily understand this step.

Purists might think about this.

On 5/19/2019 at 6:06 AM, codamedia said:

MK spends a lot of time on his tones, he would never compromise. He would only do this if it equaled the tones/feel he was used to... plus gave him the other benefits. 

One other benefit that comes to mind is stage volume. It is so much easier to keep volumes at a comfortable level with modeling tech, especially if both guitarists and the bassist are using it. This benefit is even more noticeable to guitarists who sing, since they often get used to singing over loud amplifiers. I wonder if this figured into MK’s decision. 

On 5/18/2019 at 9:58 PM, steelstringer said:

Because he's smart enough to see that at this point any claimed sound difference is smoke and mirrors.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 10:58 PM, steelstringer said:

I'm thinking the guy has tube amps that have particular characteristics and nuances that can only be captured by a profiler.  Tube amps can be pretty inconsistent, so maybe he's looking for some consistency with his live rig.  And it is also quite possible that he wants to preserve his tube amps from the abuse of the road.  Whatever the case, it's cool to see an old and iconic cat embrace new technology.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure with Helix and its competitors that we are at the "you can't tell the difference in the mix" stage with the high end modelers.

Very soon we will be at the "you can't tell the difference, EVER" stage....

I do know that for some sounds, I much prefer the Helix to ANY of my amps and effects.