Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vintage Pre For Phase Correction

radatats

I have created a number of dual amp patches but only recently figured out you could do it for the POD with the DT too.  They were not always sounding right.  Listening to all of you I learned of phase cancellation but really didn't know how to find it or correct it.  However, there is a feature in the Vintage Pre that allows you to correct phase 180 degrees and it made a HUGE difference in the dual tone for me.

By itself on a single amp patch of course there is no difference 0 or 180 but when put in front of the clean amp in a dual amp patch it really jumped to life.  Check out the patch below to see what I mean.  Try it as is and then change the Vintage Pre phase to 0 and see what it sounds like.  Maybe this can help with other phase correction applications too...

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/256828/

• Upvote 1

Good catch, rad.  I just read about that yesterday.  I was going to suggest using one of them on each path if you run them post amp, but I thought it might use up too much DSP.  They really should add a phase feature to the mixer.  You would of course compare each path soloed and then adjust the phase to match what you think the high end should sound like when combined.  Actually getting the phase aligned can be a difficult task.  Perhaps an auto phase feature will be added at some point.  There is a software plugin with such a capability that aligns audio tracks recorded with different mics, so it can be done.

From what i know about phase cancellation, it doesn't really matter which one is "right", more that they are both in sync, rather than fighting each other.  I suggested putting it in front of the clean amp simply to take advantage of that FX's ability to add a little tube warmth as well which probably wouldn't be noticed or wanted on your dirty amp.  However, if you lower the gain to zero and just use the Phase flip I guess it would still do the trick.