Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV New Or Used??

Hello All,

I am going to purchase either the JTV59 or JTV69 (import). Are there any changes or anything of benefit (sound, structure etc. / not warranty type of things) to buying new? Is it safe to buy used? Nothing like batteries lasted only hour but the new model last for 8 hours. The les paul does not work on an old model but the new model it works and sounds amazing. etc. etc.

I see several used for sale so I want to make sure this is because people need money, need to fund a new toy or, just don't like them and not because there are issues.

Thank you for any help/guidance.

On 5/20/2019 at 4:36 AM, EyeAm said:

Hello All,

I am going to purchase either the JTV59 or JTV69 (import). Are there any changes or anything of benefit (sound, structure etc. / not warranty type of things) to buying new? Is it safe to buy used? Nothing like batteries lasted only hour but the new model last for 8 hours. The les paul does not work on an old model but the new model it works and sounds amazing. etc. etc.

I see several used for sale so I want to make sure this is because people need money, need to fund a new toy or, just don't like them and not because there are issues.

Thank you for any help/guidance.

Used anything is a gamble. Doesn't much matter what it is...instruments, cars, underwear...;)

Maybe the seller will tell you the truth about the item's history, and maybe they won't. Might you end up with a nearly or completely useless battery? Sure... mine is 6 years old and I've always used the VDI, so I never kept up with charging the battery... it probably wouldn't even take a charge at this point. I honestly don't know. Now I'd tell you that up front, but some people won't. 

So unless you get to test drive it first, buying anything second hand is an act of faith. Plus, these guitars have their quirks when they're new. You can expect to have to tweak things to your liking in Workbench, new or used. 

Listen for the plink. Search for that term on this forum. Another thing to listen for is the unity of the string volume while using the models. This can be somewhat corrected by the Workbench software but the closer they are initially, the better. A long time ago there was an issue about the neck on the 69 being too narrow so the hi and lo E strings would "fall" off. Watch out for that. It hasn't been an issue for awhile. Also the model knob has to be pushed in to switch from models to magnetic pickups. Often the post the knob was on wan't high enough so it wouldn't engage. It is easily fixed but putting a small something in the hole of the knob so it will push the post down further. That's all I can remember. Anyone else?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

Listen for the plink. Search for that term on this forum. Another thing to listen for is the unity of the string volume while using the models. This can be somewhat corrected by the Workbench software but the closer they are initially, the better. A long time ago there was an issue about the neck on the 69 being too narrow so the hi and lo E strings would "fall" off. Watch out for that. It hasn't been an issue for awhile. Also the model knob has to be pushed in to switch from models to magnetic pickups. Often the post the knob was on wan't high enough so it wouldn't engage. It is easily fixed but putting a small something in the hole of the knob so it will push the post down further. That's all I can remember. Anyone else?

Awesome!! Thank you very much.

I’ve bought a few used Variax sight unseen.  Most important criteria being vendor return policy.  Know your vendor and your right to refund in case it’s a clunker.  

Bought a used JTV59 shipped from Guitar Center used gear.  As always, I was prepared to pay return shipping (or drop off at retail location in this case) for refund if the guitar turned out icky but it was fine.  

Now it did suffer some push-push switching deficiency unique to JTV59’s but fortunately I’m skilled enough and found mojo bone for tightening up and adjusting those particularly finicky controls on the older 59’s.  I think this one was built 2013?  

Works a champ now.  Serious amount of playing 20-30 hrs per week nearly 2 years for $600 shipped, IIRC.  

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, cruisinon2 said:

Maybe the seller will tell you the truth about the item's history, and maybe they won't. Might you end up with a nearly or completely useless battery? Sure... mine is 6 years old and I've always used the VDI, so I never kept up with charging the battery... it probably wouldn't even take a charge at this point. I honestly don't know. Now I'd tell you that up front, but some people won't. 

My 69 is 2011 and I try the battery every now and then. 6 months ago was the last time and from working fine before it is now totally dead; will sit on the charger for days with the flashing light but doesn't even give a single bar when plugged into guitar.

£45 + shipping for the official replacement is quite a lot for something that I haven't used in 8 years. We are also told not to buy unofficial ones such as the £28 one explicitly sold as being for JTV Variax with free shipping and a 30 day no quibble guarantee.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:14 PM, cruisinon2 said:

Used anything is a gamble. Doesn't much matter what it is...instruments, cars, underwear...;)

So unless you get to test drive it first, buying anything second hand is an act of faith.

I prefer the used women's underwear tbh. Since i cant test drive her, i have faith it is not washed...

• Haha 1

go used , and cheap , I just got on the mail 3 days ago , a used 650 from GC, but it is giving me a quite a work to setup the way I like ,  I replaced the neck , but that is on me , I have big hands , so I had a wider neck and the installation was smooth , I had to drill to holes on my neck , but no problem there , it came without the arm , and missing a knob , but 25 bucks on line and I was good to go ,   I like to modify stuff to my liking , so if I had bought it new I would be hesitating to modify , sense is used , I don't mind do whatever it takes to make personal to fit my needs , 

I am not so crazy about the bridge , the way the strings hook behind the saddle , I can't get it to stay in tune , I am wandering if the strings move every time I use the tremolo bar , still get to work on it , .

I must say if I bought new I would send back , but because I paid have of the price I am even considering a more exciting paint job on it lol.

• 3 months later...

Used is sometimes a gamble but I've been very lucky buying guitars online. I recently bought a JTV-59 and it is in outstanding shape. I will say though you should be aware of what is or isn't included. Mine was just the guitar and the case, nothing else. I had to buy a battery, and cable, and it looks like I might have to buy the VDI Interface if I want to update the firmware. A lot of used JTV's don't include these items so that will add to your cost.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...