Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FBV MKII started going crazy. All lights are flashing

Out of the blue, the FBV stopped responding.   All the tuner "rainbow" lights at the top start flashing.  Then it will go back to normal, and then start acting crazy again.  Each time,  it makes a loud "pop" sound.     Connected to Spider IV 30.   Anyone else have this issue? 

Try another Cat5 cable first - check the connector pins in the FBV and amp, too - they're easy to get bent out of shape. 

Next troubleshoot would be to hook it up to your computer with a USB cable and try to reflash the firmware.

• 2 months later...

I had the “pop” issue with my fbv and spider v 60. I bought both at Sweetwater,   It happend with the loop function. When id played back the loop it would pop at the point where i stepped on the function switch at the end of the loop. I went back and forth with the tech at sweetwater.  Tried changing cat 5, updating firmware (prior to release of MKII)  tried grounding fbv (thought it might be static electricity) but nothing worked. Sweetwater was great and exchanged the fbv.  However The new one popped once but now has not for a long time, which makes me wonder if or was something it was something with the amp. I didnt try checking the pins as suggested bt fflbrggst. Maybe a possibility. ( thx for the suggestion)    tech at Sweetwater told me he took the fbv apart, checked solder and switches etc. they hooked to spider v 60 and it popped for them too.  They too are stumped. They could not find anything. They actually sent it back to Line 6 to see if they can find it anything. Tech told me hed let me know if they tell him anything.  I’ve updated the firmware again to MK Ii and so far it has been OK but I don’t know if that has anything to do with it.  

• 1 year later...

I’ve had the ‘pop’ experience too. I put it down to the angle of attack on the switch (i.e. from the side as opposed to directly above). From the side it sometimes happens, directly above it hasn’t yet. If you’re wondering why I switch from the side it’s because my music room can be a bit cluttered at times and I can’t be arsed to position myself correctly.

• 4 months later...

I gave up for a while, and now just returning to this.   I connected to my iMac OS X  10.13.6.  I installed the Line 6 tools w/monkey  but when i try to run monkey, it just keeps saying that it needs to download a newer version.  I do that,  but it does not do anything different.    The FBV control app works,  but i did not make any changes with that.   Is there a separate firmware to download,  or is the monkey app what I need?    After making connection to the Mac.    The controller does "work", in that I can change the switches A thru D,  but the indicator lights for each button do not light up.   and the volume pedal does not do anything.     The next think I tried was the calibration steps that I found.   That does not work either.   I hold the D button while i tried plug in the usb cable,  release the D button, but the display does not show anything.   I tried the same steps with the cat cable (while usb was not connected).    Thanks again in advance for any support!  

Which FBV MkII do you have - I assume the Express?  What amp are you using?  When calibrating the FBV you should not be plugged into the computer with USB.

Have you tried a different CAT5 cable?  Checked the pins in the amp and pedal jacks?

Thanks for the reply.  Yes,  FBV Express MKII  and Spider IV 30.   I have tried a new CAT5 cable.   When attempting the calibration,  i have tried both ways - while plugged into computer via USB  and  separately while connected only to the amp.     I don't see how there could be a pin problem in the female jacks.   I have not ever been haphazard  when plugging into the pedal or the amp.  I have only ever plugged in/out when i first got the pedal and not reason to ever unplug until this issue started occuring out of the blue.   I'm not a gigging musician, and this is just my practice amp that never moves from my practice space.    if there were problems with the receptacles,  how would I fix that?   Pull them out and re-wiring in new ones?   If that is the case, i think i may just let it go,  but wanted to give it one last try for help.   Thanks again!

23 hours ago, bobbycheetah said:

Thanks for the reply.  Yes,  FBV Express MKII  and Spider IV 30.   I have tried a new CAT5 cable.   When attempting the calibration,  i have tried both ways - while plugged into computer via USB  and  separately while connected only to the amp.     I don't see how there could be a pin problem in the female jacks.   I have not ever been haphazard  when plugging into the pedal or the amp.  I have only ever plugged in/out when i first got the pedal and not reason to ever unplug until this issue started occuring out of the blue.   I'm not a gigging musician, and this is just my practice amp that never moves from my practice space.    if there were problems with the receptacles,  how would I fix that?   Pull them out and re-wiring in new ones?   If that is the case, i think i may just let it go,  but wanted to give it one last try for help.   Thanks again!

Just pull the cable out and look at them, it will be easy to spot if any are bent out of place - then just bend them back!

1 hour ago, bobbycheetah said:

I checked the ports and the pins are fine.   I tried a calibration one more time with only the connection to the amp.   Still did not work.   Plug in CAT5 while holding D button.  It lights up the tuner lites briefly,  but nothing else.   Thank you

You should not be plugging in the Cat5 cable/FBV when the amp is on.  (General rule for ANY amps/pedals/cables).

Oh wow, I did not notice to have the amp powered off.   I was watching the yoo-toob vid of a person doing it when he mentioned "powered off"  i thought he was referring to the FVB so I was thinking - duh - it IS powered off b/c it's not plugged into anything.  I will go thru the steps again soon and see how it goes.    Oddly, that same vid where they guy recalibrates his FVB,  he is doing so with the USB cable.   Here is a link to his video,  and his instructions.  Not sure if he just made those up,  or if he copied from an official Line 6 doc.

here's a spot of better news.    I connect the FBV to my iMac again,  only this time I used the USB port on the back of the iMac instead of the port in the keyboard.   I was able to get monkey updated and firmware flashed.   Flash mem = 1.10,  Fbv control = 1.06  and  monkey 1.78.    Also i found the official pdf manual from Line 6.  It says you can calibrate while connect to computer or line 6 device.    While connected to my Mac, I ran thru the steps perfeclty.   Then I went to the spider, and still.   when i select a channel, the lights by the button do not light up, and nothing in the display.  even tho,  it does actually switch channels.  Also, the wah function works, but not the volume.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/22/2022 at 11:30 AM, P4t666 said:

same here...lights went crazy... now nothing can be detected by computer ....connected to spider iv 150....no solutions yet?

Try a different CAT5 cable to the amp.  Check the pins of the jacks on both the FBV and amp, they are easy to bend out of place.

• 5 months later...