Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd Pro Power Amp Cab Issue

ajwbuttersnips

Is your amp in bridged mode? Some have a separate output in bridged and some use #1 channel.  Not being familiar with that power amp, and assuming you have the volume on the Pod turned up and the volume on the amp turned up, and that your cables are good, I would check bridged mode.

Check the pod through headphones first so you can rule out everything up to the end of pod signal chain. Then id try the same unbalanced out into a known working combo amp just to see if you get a signal. If you do, you know somethings not right with power amp or cables/connections.

I've been using the Crown XLS1000 for about a year and a half with my HD500 and 500X with good success. You definitely have to run out the 1/4" outputs in LINE level, not AMP level. ALSO, your speaker load (your Marshall 4x12 cab) needs to be in the 2 to 8 Ohm range, but the typical 4x12 cab is usually 8 or 16 Ohms. If you're using 1 channel of the XLS1000 you will get different Watt output at different Ohm loads -- at 8 Ohms you'll get 215 Watts, 4 Ohms - 350 Watts, 2 Ohms - 550 Watts. In Bridged mode (you need to rewire your speakon connector) you'll get 8 Ohms - 700 Watts, 4 Ohms - 1100 Watts, 2 Ohms - not applicable in bridged mode. This is per their specs. Note they do not mention 16 Ohms at all, so it's not recommended.

Depending on your 4x12 cab, if it's 16 Ohms, it's probably got four 16 Ohm speakers -- 2 in series, in parallel with the other 2 in series. If it's 8, you'll have the same arrangement with four 8 Ohm speakers. If you can split your speakers into a stereo pairing, you'll have one series pair per side -- either 32 Ohms (2 - 16 Ohm speakers in series) or 16 Ohms (2 - 8 Ohms in series)....

I run floor monitor wedges with "full range"  8 Ohm Eminence Beta 12LTA speaker (225 Watt rating). I run mono bridged, so with one, the max power output is 700 Watts into a 225 Watt speaker -- I do not push the amp too hard. When I play a large venue, or an outside gig, I take both speaker wedges and run them in parallel for 4 Ohms and 1100 Watts into 450 Watt (total rating) speaker pair. Again, not pushing the amp too hard, but speakers can take twice their rating for some time.

One thing I've found is that a solid state PA amp like this states their output rating as their maximum value -- by the time you hit that level, the amp is starting to clip, so I always use my rule of thumb of expecting about half the amp rating. I think tube amps are rated so that their power levels are more conservative, and they don't clip like a digital amp like this one, they edge into distortion more smoothly. In our case with the PODHD's we're using the modelling for that effect.

I was initially using an 8 Ohm speaker on one channel of the XLS1000 (getting a theoretical 215 Watts), but it didn't seem to have enough balls, so I actually pushed the amp too hard and it went into thermal shut down for a second or 2. That's when I decided to run it mono bridged. Now I have 700 Watts, theoretical, but is more like 300 or so, and it has plenty of guts for an inside bar gig, and I don't have to push it hard at all. I've never hear its cooling fan come on, that I'm aware of.

Sorry for the long answer, but the gist is set your POD to LINE out, and get your speaker Ohm load in the right range.

Dave