Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tip: Make a Mute Button for Multiple Paths

craiganderton

In the process of creating my preset pack of 128 multiband presets for Helix, several of the presets used four bands, so it became a problem to tweak one band in isolation. I couldn't figure out a way to have a "solo" button for a path/band, so the next best thing was to be able to mute the other bands.

Referring to the screen shot of a 4-band preset, I added a Volume block in each path (outlined in orange), and set the gain parameter to -120.

H04IGmC.png

Enabling the Volume block would then mute the sound; bypassing it removed the mute. The Volume block has a very low CPU hit, so after developing the presets I often left the mute button in anyway. This allowed creating Snapshots that had only some bands, which were musically useful as well as the main preset.

I thought the mute button concept was a helpful diagnostic tool, and worth sharing in the forum. If you find this kind of thing useful, I'd be happy to post some more tips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

I think that might just solve an issue that I was requesting awhile back.   I want to make both inputs from the two signal paths guitar.  I have an acoustic sim patch and of course several electric patches but it’s a pain trying to recreate them with the splitter.  With this method I could just use one signal path for acoustic and the other for electric, put a volume block first in the path, assign them both to the same bypass footswitch and I’m in business.   Thanks.

19 hours ago, craiganderton said:

In the process of creating my preset pack of 128 multiband presets for Helix, several of the presets used four bands, so it became a problem to tweak one band in isolation. I couldn't figure out a way to have a "solo" button for a path/band, so the next best thing was to be able to mute the other bands.

Referring to the screen shot of a 4-band preset, I added a Volume block in each path (outlined in orange), and set the gain parameter to -120.

H04IGmC.png

Enabling the Volume block would then mute the sound; bypassing it removed the mute. The Volume block has a very low CPU hit, so after developing the presets I often left the mute button in anyway. This allowed creating Snapshots that had only some bands, which were musically useful as well as the main preset.

I thought the mute button concept was a helpful diagnostic tool, and worth sharing in the forum. If you find this kind of thing useful, I'd be happy to post some more tips.

I've been doing this for awhile on all my multi-amp patches. Works like a charm and you can mess with it via snap shots.     Although you can do the same with the volume on the amp and control via snaps as well.    its been 50/50 lately. 

17 hours ago, craiganderton said:

Thanks, seems like a good group of folks here! Helix was love at first sight for me, so I've been working with it a lot.

I remember enjoying the live sound related @craiganderton articles on Sweetwater.  So I went to Sweetwater's inSync author page and I only see one modeling article.  Would love to see more.  Welcome to the forum.

4 minutes ago, jonandtice said:

I remember enjoying the live sound related @craiganderton articles on Sweetwater.  So I went to Sweetwater's inSync author page and I only see one modeling article.  Would love to see more.  Welcome to the forum.

You'll be happy to hear that Sweetwater has asked for more modeling articles. They've already accepted one on how to bi-amp the Helix, and I'm submitting another one with more general Helix tips next week. It usually takes 2-4 weeks before they're published on the site, depending on the editorial cycle. They tell me the Helix is doing very well for them. :)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, rucmas said:

I've been doing this for awhile on all my multi-amp patches. Works like a charm and you can mess with it via snap shots.     Although you can do the same with the volume on the amp and control via snaps as well.    its been 50/50 lately. 

Maybe i've missed something along the way, but i just noticed and input meter to the left of the screen and a main on the right?   when did this happen?   what am i missing....

13 minutes ago, rucmas said:

Maybe i've missed something along the way, but i just noticed and input meter to the left of the screen and a main on the right?   when did this happen?   what am i missing....

The screenshot is from Helix Native - not  a Helix device.

17 hours ago, craiganderton said:

If anyone knows how to get a dump from the Helix Floor screen, please post the answer here.

Can't you just use HX Edit and take a screen shot of the desired view?

Or have I misunderstood what you are asking (something I do often - LOL).

2 hours ago, craiganderton said:

I'm sorry, I wasn't at all clear and sorta changed topics without prior notice, LOL. I meant something like an XML dump of all the parameters. 

HX Edit will save a patch in a json format (well, I'm pretty sure it's json)... which reads very similar to XML,

If you need XML there are "json to XML" converters... but I'm sure you know that already :) 

On 5/25/2019 at 1:44 PM, codamedia said:

HX Edit will save a patch in a json format (well, I'm pretty sure it's json)... which reads very similar to XML,

If you need XML there are "json to XML" converters... but I'm sure you know that already :) 

You'd be surprised at what I DON'T know!! All I know about "json" is it looks like a typo for someone who was trying to spell "Jason." :)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, litesnsirens said:

I tested the method out with my previously stated acoustic sim to electric crunch each on their own path with the volume blocks at the beginning of each path both assigned to the same footswitch.  Works like a charm.  Thanks again.

Glad it worked for you! More tips to come.