Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Yamaha SPX90 Symphonic preset

shawnt113

14 hours ago, shawnt113 said:

Anyone here have experience with the Symphonic preset from the Yamaha SPX90? If so, any way to replicate that in Helix native?

thanks guys!

Hi shawnt113,

I have an early Yamaha SPX90 in a rack, gathering dust in the corner of my studio! I would probably have to give “it the kiss of life” and spark the thing up to check the settings, and no guarantee of figuring it out, but it maybe worth finding out!

IIRC, it was like some sort of multi voice chorus effect. A big fave of Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois back in the 80s along with that AMS shimmer and Eventide H3000. To get that ensemble sound you could try using a  big 70s chorus and the legacy “dimension” to get you in the ball park.

I may investigate further.

• Like 1

Thank you, I’m gonna check it out. I only recently became aware that I’m even interested after watching a video with Rick Beato where he was discussing using that preset gently on the distorted bass track to give it a little character and movement. 

Since I've also heard it’s great on backing vocals. 

Mine did too about a year ago after trying it for kicks within 30 minutes. Did a bit searching and found the most likely failure is due to leaking capacitors in the power supply. In fact after opening it up the capacitors leaked in mine. Have not found the time and patience to find replacement parts and try a home repair though ...

On 5/25/2019 at 2:44 AM, shawnt113 said:

Thank you, I’m gonna check it out. I only recently became aware that I’m even interested after watching a video with Rick Beato where he was discussing using that preset gently on the distorted bass track to give it a little character and movement. 

Since I've also heard it’s great on backing vocals. 

Here ya go!

You should be able to get something out of this quick and dirty patch.

You mentioned Bass - so I have included the basic "Tuck n' Go" (change to whatever suits) in the first slot followed by an Harmonic Flanger at 40% mix, then a Dual Pitch for a slight chorus and finally a legacy Dimension with SW4 on and about 25% mix. Seems like a lot of bother for what the SPX does in one preset. Anyhow kick it around – you may find something in there. Oh, yeah – Zakk Wylde used the SPX90 for those Symphonic tones on No Rest For The Wicked and No More Tears.

I read the Yamaha SPX90 Manual, and on Page 13 it states that,
"The programmable parameters for this preset are identical to those for the Stereo Flange preset, omitting the F.B. Gain and MOD DELAY TIME".
Note: Stereo Flange specs a MOD FREQ Range 0.1 ~ 20.0Hz and a MOD DEPTH of 0 ~100%

Edited by datacommando
Removed file - low on space
  • Upvote 2

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, MusicLaw said:

Time permitting I'll try and take a look this weekend. Otherwise, it may be a couple of weeks. Please get back in touch with me If you haven't heard from me by the end of the month. BTW, where are you located?

Awesome! I’m in Indianapolis. 

• 2 weeks later...

@datacommando I finally got the chance to mess with this preset yesterday.  I know it’s been a while. So here’s what I got to say:

1- Thank you for taking the time to put it together, that was super awesome of you.

2-YOU ARE THE MAN! It’s doing just what I want it to do for bass. I threw it on a bounce of the bass, added a stereo widener then bounced it to its own track. Then blended it with the Un-effected track. BAM!!!

3- Did I mention YOU'RE THE MAN!?!?

Thank you very much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 1:02 AM, shawnt113 said:

@datacommando I finally got the chance to mess with this preset yesterday.  I know it’s been a while. So here’s what I got to say:

1- Thank you for taking the time to put it together, that was super awesome of you.

2-YOU ARE THE MAN! It’s doing just what I want it to do for bass. I threw it on a bounce of the bass, added a stereo widener then bounced it to its own track. Then blended it with the Un-effected track. BAM!!!

3- Did I mention YOU'RE THE MAN!?!?

Thank you very much!

Where can one obtain this preset?

On 11/19/2020 at 10:50 AM, Rocles said:

Nope!

Not that one, that was something entirely different.

The one I did for “shawnt113” was a quick ‘n’ dirty patch specifically for bass.

@off_brand_lego

When I get in the studio later today I will repost that

EDIT:

Here ya go! It may not be what you need because it was done quickly, but it's somewhere to start.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

PseudoSymphonic.hlx

Edited by datacommando
Removed attachments

5 hours ago, sweetpete said:

demo of the SPX90

Ah, yes - they are splendid things. I still have my original hardware SPX90 in the rack over in the corner.

Overloud now do a software plug-in that is based just on that one SPX Symphonic effect. 

I still hope that someone from Line 6 will ask the guys at Yamaha if they can replicate some of the Yamaha FX for inclusion in the Helix. Not just the SPX, but the Magic stomp that Alan Holdsworth used. That could be fun.

• Upvote 2