Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reamping With Hd500. How ?

Zigo

There is no Pod HD plugin for a DAW (VST or otherwise).

While you can create an HD500 preset to record a dry signal using the HD500 usb connection to your DAW, you cannot also also use the HD500 as a reamping device over the same usb connection because your DAW output over USB is not selectable as an Input to an HD500 preset.

To use the HD500 as a reamping device you need a separate audio interface with two separate stereo channels to avoid a feedback loop during playback/reamping. Ideally this interface would also have an s/pdif input to accept a dry signal directly from the HD500.

Here's how I would set it up and use it to record a dry signal from the HD500, then use the HD500 as a reamp device:

Setup:

- connect your Audio 6 interface to your DAW, and configure your DAW accordingly

- connect your HD500 s/pdif output to your interface s/pdif input. Configure your HD500 so that the s/pdif output sends the dry signal.

- connect your HD500 analog outputs to your interface analog inputs. I would use the balanced XLR connections.

- do not connect your HD500 via usb to your computer

Recording:

- select the HD500 preset that you would like to use to monitor your sound while recording.

- arm a track for recording in your DAW and select your interface's s/pdif input to record

- optionally, if you also want to record the wet track arm another track (stereo) for recording and select your interface's analog inputs to record

- play and record your take

Reamping:

- connect one of your interface's analog mono outputs to your HD500 Guitar or Aux input. Use a different channel than the one(s) being used for the HD500 analog output connections.

- route the dry signal in your DAW to the analog output above for playback

- select the HD500 preset that you want to use to reamp the signal, and select the Input for the preset to match your physical input above

- arm a new stereo track in your DAW for recording your reamped signal. Select your interface's analog inputs to record, assuming your HD500 -> interface analog connections are still in place

- tweak you HD500 preset as desired, and repeat the reamp procedure, until you are satisfied with the reamped tone.

That should do it!

Have fun!

• Upvote 4

oh my goodness, you are my hero it works! Thank you a lot :)

but I didn't understand this step: "connect your HD500 s/pdif output to your interface s/pdif input. Configure your HD500 so that the s/pdif output sends the dry signal."
do I need the 
s/pdif and the XLR connections for dry/wet recording on the same time ? lets say the s/pdif is for the dry one and XLR for the wet one ? Because I didn't use the s/pdif connection but it still works, I can reamp my dry signal.

The advantage of using the s/pdif connection is that it taps the dry signal directly from the physical input. Using the HD500 analog output(s) processes the input signal through the HD500 signal path, which you must then set up to be a 'dry' path - no amp or FX. But the signal still goes through the processing path before hitting the outputs, and involves an extra  D/A conversion. The s/pdif path avoids the internal processing.

Also, as you say, using the s/pdif for the dry signal allows you to simultaneously record the wet signal through the XLRs.

However, there is no right or wrong; if it's working for you that's all that matters.

• 1 year later...

Hey sir, quick question. I tried the above...and when I have everything connected my computer does not recognize that there is a line 6 pod 500x connected. how do I fix this without connecting the USB?...I am connecting my guitar through the Line 6 POD500x and then the Balanced XLR's to Input 1 and 2 of my Komplete Audio 6 and then using Cubase Elements 8. How do I make it so that my computer recognizes the POD HD 500x without connecting the usb...by the way I have M-Audio BX8's going out through the back of the Komplete Audio 6 as my Monitors.

.... How do I make it so that my computer recognizes the POD HD 500x without connecting the usb.......

That's just not possible. Equivalent question in networking terms is: "How do make it so my non-wireless modem recognizes my non-wireless computer without connecting the Ethernet cable?" In both cases, the cable is the only way the devices can recognize each other.

Please explain what you are trying to accomplish. You may not need to have your computer recognize the Pod HD500X.

That's just not possible. Equivalent question in networking terms is: "How do make it so my non-wireless modem recognizes my non-wireless computer without connecting the Ethernet cable?" In both cases, the cable is the only way the devices can recognize each other.

Please explain what you are trying to accomplish. You may not need to have your computer recognize the Pod HD500X.

So, you said previously "Do Not Connect the Pod 500x via USB"...so how would I record or be able to listen to my guitar playing?

You mentioned that you connect the Hd500X XLR outputs to your Komplete Audio 6. I presume that is your audio interface to your computer? That's what you could use for recording.

If you want to record directly using the Hd500x ask your audio interface, then you connect it using usb to your computer, and disconnect your Audio 6 device.

• 3 months later...

Here's a way to re-amp with a POD HD500X in Logic Pro X. Your DAW may be different, but will likely have similar capabilities.

First, you want to use the HD500 as an external plugin - that is, it isn't used for guitar input at the same time. So you need a separate audio interface for the initial tracking. Here's an overview of the steps.

1. Create a audio track, set the input to an input of your audio interface, use one that has a Hi-Z input for guitar. Plug your guitar into that channel of your audio interface.

2. Set the output of the audio track to stereo out (the default). If you turn input monitoring on for the track you should now hear your raw, unprocessed dry guitar. That's what we want to record. That way you can change the plugins to process that dry input different ways without having to re-record - the essence of re-amping.

3. Next add a Utility > I/O plugin to the track, you'll use this to patch in the HD500.

4. Set the output of the I/O plugin to an output of your audio device. This takes the dry output of the track (or your monitored guitar input) and sends it out through an output of your audio device. You'll need more than one output for this. Not all audio devices support this. If you have a simple 2-channel audio device, you can create an aggregate device (on Mac OS X) and include the computer output in the aggregate device, then use this for stereo output. This frees up your audio device to use for re-amping the HD500. 

5. Connect that output of your audio device to the Aux input of the HD500. Use the Aux input, not the Guitar input so the impedance is better matched.

6. Next connect the output of your HD500 to the another input or pair of inputs in your audio device. I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro which has 8 inputs and 6 outputs. 

7. Set the input of the I/O plugin to the input of your audio device that is connected to the output of the HD500. Select your HD500 patch and you should be good to go. You've used the I/O plugin and your audio device inputs and outputs to insert the HD500 as a plugin into the track.

This works, but is complex and inconvenient. When you mix down, you have to bounce in real time, and you can only re-amp one track at a time. You can use the HD500 on multiple tracks, but you have to do them one at a time and bounce to a processed track to free up the device. This doesn't work well in practice because you generally want to re-amp a guitar in the context of the whole mix, changing the amp settings as you re-amp other tracks.

A much better solution is to invest in a plugin like S-Gear or BIAS FX. These make re-amping easy and will sound better than an HD500 too. The HD500 is great for live use, but not the best solution for recording and re-amping. I highly recommend S-Gear (www.scuffhamamps.com). This is one of the best digital guitar amplifiers on the market.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks @amsdenj, for taking the time to write up this re-amping guide.

I'd been thinking of using my HD 500x in this way to gain access to the vast library of inbuilt models sitting in it when recording and mixing in my DAW. Your conclusion that this is an awkward model and that going the VST route seems better saved me the time with the experiment. I don't really like having to buy all the models again in s/w format, but that seems to be the way forward.