Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

upgrade advice needed!

andymguitar

Hi all,

I have a XT live which I'm (generally!) happy with, but looking to upgrade. The main problem I have with the XTL is the dirty sounds and amp simulators, I'm not as happy with what I hear as I am with all the mods delays etc. I'm using a FRFR speaker, wondering if upgrading to the 500 (or maybe helix?) is going to give me a vast improvement in these sounds? I mean I obviously know the answer is yes, but can any anyone give me more details?

Cheers!

I own the 500 family of devices. I can't give any comparison, being that I don't have the H or XT. 

But, I can tell you this....

If you can't get the tone you need with the HD units, you aren't ever getting the tone. 

*this assumes you know that you are limited to 8 effects and 2 amps, as well as the list of amps and effects available. Obviously, more specialized needs may not be achieved.

If budget allows.... go for a Helix Floor or LT and call it a day! 

Just my opinion here... but if your XT Live still works fine and all you can afford is an HD500x..... spend the little extra money on an HX Stomp and run it in the loop if the XT Live. Use the Stomp for all the amp models and a few extra effects.... and keep the XT for the stuff you like (delays, modulation, etc...). Connect a midi cable between the two and the patch changes on the XT will change the patch on the Stomp.... just that all fall naturally (don't try to change how it works) and line the patches up to work with each other. 

There is nothing wrong with the HD500x.... as PianoGuyy says above, if you can't get a tone that works with that the problem is not the device. BUT - the HX devices have IR capability and nicer overdrives/distortions/fuzz, amps/cab than the HD500 so it adds the "state of the art" things you don't like about the XTL to the things you do like about the XTL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

If budget allows.... go for a Helix Floor or LT and call it a day! 

Just my opinion here... but if your XT Live still works fine and all you can afford is an HD500x..... spend the little extra money on an HX Stomp and run it in the loop if the XT Live. Use the Stomp for all the amp models and a few extra effects.... and keep the XT for the stuff you like (delays, modulation, etc...). Connect a midi cable between the two and the patch changes on the XT will change the patch on the Stomp.... just that all fall naturally (don't try to change how it works) and line the patches up to work with each other. 

There is nothing wrong with the HD500x.... as PianoGuy says above, if you can't get a tone that works with that the problem is not the device. BUT - the HX devices have IR capability and nicer overdrives/distortions/fuzz, amps/cab than the HD500 so it adds the "state of the art" things you don't like about the XTL to the things you do like about the XTL.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you!

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 9:14 AM, andymguitar said:

Cool! There are so many POD vs Helix it's hard to know where to begin if you know what I mean. I think the XTL needs tp be replaced though for sure!

There's nothing wrong with the 500X... it's still my backup in case the Helix craps out, but the POD is a rapidly aging platform that hasn't had an update in years. I won't go so far as to call it obsolete, but it's getting close. Helix is a far more versatile unit.... save a few shekels and get Helix. If you're gonna upgrade...upgrade.

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2019 at 3:06 PM, codamedia said:

There is nothing wrong with the HD500x.... as PianoGuy says above,

PianoGuyY can't speak on the Helix, as he has no experience. 

However... 

On 5/26/2019 at 3:17 PM, cruisinon2 said:

and get Helix. If you're gonna upgrade...upgrade.

If he was shopping today, he would probably know much more about the newer tech. 

On 5/27/2019 at 3:45 PM, hurghanico said:

Personally maybe that in the future when I will need to replace my current modeler I will buy a used HX (or else) at an affordable price since it is one of the best modelers around, but when it will happen, Helix's successor will probably have been already released, and HX will therefore be considered in Serie B by comparison..

But will being in Serie B make it sound worse than when it was in Serie A?.. That's the question.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

This is one of the problems with modern life... Constantly chasing the next thing and in competition with 'the newest sound!' The XLT has done it's job for me, but I definitely need an upgrade. Looking at 500's on eBay I may go for one of those, but will also try out a Helix in a local shop to see if the hefty pice tag warrants it!

Get the Helix.  This shouldn't even be a discussion.  The PODHD is at the end of it's life and is old technology.  What you're getting ready to buy will last for many years.  Look at how long the XT lasted for you.  Wait and save up for the Helix.

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2019 at 3:57 AM, andymguitar said:

This is one of the problems with modern life... Constantly chasing the next thing and in competition with 'the newest sound!' The XLT has done it's job for me, but I definitely need an upgrade. Looking at 500's on eBay I may go for one of those, but will also try out a Helix in a local shop to see if the hefty pice tag warrants it!

Would you rather haggle over a '72 pinto barn-find with a missing rear axle, or drive off in a Maserati that actually runs? ;)

Seriously... the 500X was a great device in it's time, but it was put out to pasture some time ago. It's old, soon to be obsolete news.

14 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Would you rather haggle over a '72 pinto barn-find with a missing rear axle, or drive off in a Maserati that actually runs? ;)

Seriously... the 500X wad a great device in it's time, but it was put out to pasture some time ago. It's old, soon to be obsolete news.

I know what you mean. On the other hand I gigged with my XTL last night and most of the patches sounded great actually, the Helix is so expensive...

As an owner of a 1975 Royale, I have to point out that there is a difference between it and a Pinto. 

The HD units are far from a Pinto, lol. Besides, not many people need a Maserati even if they can afford it.  

Yes, the current product is 10 years old - and that assumes the tech was new instead of being recycled from the older products, but the new units are new - which is different than a 2010 Ford, which was actually made in 2010. And, as others pointed out, the tone doesn't change just because something else came out. 

The funniest part.... 

Anyone needing the fancy sport car (if they could afford it) wouldn't have bought the L6 product 10 years ago when it was new.