Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting HX FX to my PC (sound) - How?

Hi Guys, 

Newbie here so please go easy! I have just taken delivery of my HX FX and played it through my amp etc and all is fine.

I have also connected it successfully to my PC (Windows 10) and the Line6 edit software is working fine and I have the latest driver installed also. 

What I am wanting to know, is it possible for me to get the sound of the HX FX coming through my PC speakers and if so how do I do it. (My PC is nowhere near my amps and gear etc). What other cables will I need from the back of the HX to the PC and would the jack from my guitar just go into the L(mono) channel?

Again sorry for the question but I'd like to get it set up on my PC so I can edit sounds and hear them!

Thanks

Mike

8 hours ago, 886343 said:

Hi Guys, 

Newbie here so please go easy! I have just taken delivery of my HX FX and played it through my amp etc and all is fine.

I have also connected it successfully to my PC (Windows 10) and the Line6 edit software is working fine and I have the latest driver installed also. 

What I am wanting to know, is it possible for me to get the sound of the HX FX coming through my PC speakers and if so how do I do it. (My PC is nowhere near my amps and gear etc). What other cables will I need from the back of the HX to the PC and would the jack from my guitar just go into the L(mono) channel?

Again sorry for the question but I'd like to get it set up on my PC so I can edit sounds and hear them!

Thanks

Mike

I think you're gonna be a little disappointed with the results from the setup you've described. Your basic tone comes from your amp, or amp modeler. The HX FX has no amp modeling...so without your real amp somewhere in the vicinity, all you'll get by plugging the HX into your PC is your raw guitar signal, plus whatever effect(s) you've chosen. It'll sound nothing like what you'd hear playing the same patch through your amp, and won't be terribly useful for dialing in sounds. Now you could use a software based amp modeler plug-in to get an amp tone to work with... but those PC speakers aren't gonna help your cause much either. In terms of sound quality, most PC speakers typically fall somewhere between an old transistor radio, and two tin cans on a string...;) It's really not the best way to go. A small pair of near-field studio monitors will be an infinite improvement, and won't break the bank.