Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp as a very simple midi controller

MrSirIce

Hi Line6

I’m looking into the “HX Stomp” as a backup guitar amp system as well as midi foot controller sending some simple midi messages to control Ableton for a touring band. 

I’m having a hard time finding out the midi out capabitlities of the unit. Am I correct in thinking that it only sends midi program changes? No midi notes or CC through midi output?

Would I be able to send midi notes via the 5pin out on HX Stomp placing different midi messages on each foot switch? 

I basicly only need to be able to map one button to next marker and one to previous marker. So I could for example have. 

1. PC mapped to “previous marker”

2. no midi

3. PC mapped to “next marker”

Thanks

EDIT: After a bit more research it seems that Ableton doesn't even support midi mapping of PC messages. So it has to be midi note or cc. Is this impossible to achieve in this one little handy box then?

Unfortunately, HX Stomp only RESPONDS to CC, and only SENDS PC. Worse yet, since it lacks the Command Center functions, it will only send a default PC when loading a preset, they can't be assigned. For what you want to do you'll either need the full Helix Floor, the Helix LT, or HX Effects.

Yes, for some crazy reason Line 6 left the MIDI send CC features out of the Stomp. I hope they put it back in at some point. Its the reason I sent the unit back, but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat if they added the MIDI stuff because I love the footprint compared to my bigger HX Effects.

As @rd2rk mentions, the Stomp does send program change MIDI info, if that's all you need.

1 hour ago, soundog said:

Yes, for some crazy reason Line 6 left the MIDI send CC features out of the Stomp. I hope they put it back in at some point. Its the reason I sent the unit back, but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat if they added the MIDI stuff because I love the footprint compared to my bigger HX Effects.

As @rd2rk mentions, the Stomp does send program change MIDI info, if that's all you need.

Yeah, that reason is how they made it cost less.  

My suggestion would be to use the LT, as it can send and receive Ableton MIDI messages.  The new update is also going to allow you to use regular keyboard buttons, so if you already know the mapping via keyboard, you can use that instead of MIDI NOTE/CC/PC messages.

The MIDI command stuff takes very little ROM space so no expense. They've stated they didn't want to make the manual longer and more intimidating, so left the Command Center stuff out. But I say bring it on.

9 hours ago, robertgoddard said:

Yeah, that reason is how they made it cost less.  

My suggestion would be to use the LT, as it can send and receive Ableton MIDI messages.  The new update is also going to allow you to use regular keyboard buttons, so if you already know the mapping via keyboard, you can use that instead of MIDI NOTE/CC/PC messages.

As promising as the LT looks it doesn't fit my criteria because of it's size. I was looking to have it taking up a small space on my pedalboard and running it after a AB switch at the end of my pedal chain. The sounds and flexibility honestly don't matter much in this scenario. It would only have to suffice as a quick fix in a worst case scenario. 

6 hours ago, soundog said:

The MIDI command stuff takes very little ROM space so no expense. They've stated they didn't want to make the manual longer and more intimidating, so left the Command Center stuff out. But I say bring it on.

Hopefully this will be implemented but, without much experience with Line6, I have the gut feeling it won't. 

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, TweakGeek said:

For what is worth after almost two years after you originally posted this, you could install a program like MIDI OX (Windows) or MIDI Pipe (Mac) to convert MIDI messages. You would install the program on the computer you're using with Ableton. All you have to do next is simply set the program to receve whichever HX Stomp MIDI message it sends and then convert that to whichever CC or note# you need, then set the program to send that to Ableton, no external gear or cables needed.

I also agree that HX Stomp definitely needs the MIDI capability, it's definitely no cost/effort on behalf of Line 6 and would make it sooo much more versatile. If they don't want to print any extra manuals, I'm sure people interested in the feature would manage reading these sections off of the larger Helix manuals, no problem.

Not sure where you're coming into this ancient thread from, but HXS now has CommandCenter. It can send all of the same MIDI as the full-fat Helix, and can therefore be used to control LIVE within the restrictions imposed by it's 6 InstantCommands (useable with Presets and it's 3 Snapshots per Preset), 5 buttons or 2 Exp Pedals. No extra SW required.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Not sure where you're coming into this ancient thread from, but HXS now has CommandCenter. It can send all of the same MIDI as the full-fat Helix, and can therefore be used to control LIVE within the restrictions imposed by it's 6 InstantCommands (useable with Presets and it's 3 Snapshots per Preset), 5 buttons or 2 Exp Pedals. No extra SW required.

Hey rd2rk thanks for taking the time to post this. I only started to research the HX Stomp yesterday, and while looking into the MIDI capabilities, all of the threads and videos I came across were mentioning the lack of Command Center, even the automatic Google answers still say that HX Stomp only sends PCs when changing presets, so was just trying to offer a late but still useful workaround to the issue described in this post. I'll delete my comment as to not perpetuate the confusion further.

Yes, the lack of Command Center was the primary reason I had not purchased a Stomp.

But its in there now, so I bought one. Thanks Line 6. Now ..... would you please give us a version with Variax support?    ; -)