rice33

Hearing two tunings

Hi, I am completely new to the variax and maybe I am missing something simple. I am running the Variax through a G10 Relay into an Amplfi. All line 6 no outside imposter gear!

The problem i have is that when I select an alternative tuning I hear both the magnetic pickups and the alternative tuning through the amp.  I thought by turning on the variax it automatically disabled the magnetic pickups?

Any help appreciated. Also if I've missed something completely obvious light mockery is also welcomed!

Thanks

It won't necessarily disable the magnetics , you can blend the two sounds using the software. I would check that first.

Thanks, I have the magnetic blend on 0. I tried it at 1% but that had no effect what so ever. 

The same thing happens through my helix as well with just the Ethernet cable connected.

Any other ideas? 

Thanks

Are you sure you are hearing the mag pickups? You may be hearing the natural acoustic string vibrations in standard tuning. This is often misinterpreted as a problem when in fact it's just physics. The natural string vibrations can be surprisingly loud. The best way to tell is to make a recording. If it's the mag pickups you're hearing you will also hear them in the playback of the recording. However the natural acoustic vibrations will not be recorded and you will not hear them in the playback.

Another test is to use headphones. Turn the volume up fairly loud. If you no longer hear the double tuning it's because the headphones are drowning out the natural acoustic vibrations.