GrampaBob

HD500 to PA, HD500 to amp help plz - settings check

Hi I am truly sorry for yet another settings help but I run 3 different setups between my amp, HD500 and pedalboard so I'm making a chart to keep myself lined up.  I also bring all the gear in case I have issues, I have a backup plan.

Setup 1- I use my HD500 alone thru the FoH and use the modelers if the stage is small or need a fast setup

Setup 2- I use my HD500 in 4CM with my blackstar stage mkii with amp models OFF (most used setup currently)

Setup 3- I use my blackstar with my regular pedal board

So I would love a guru to just check over my settings because although everything seems fine, it might not be right. 

What would my FX loop level be set to on my amp in all 3 setups, I have the +4 or -10 choice for loop level on the amp.

Now for HD500 settings regarding #1 and #2.

Line or AMP on the top?

Guitar IN on normal opposed to PAD on top I assume?

Line or STOMP on the backside?

MASTER volume knob on the HD goes to full 100% wet?

within the page setups......COMBO and Line/studio selection

I also read having the mixer levels in the software up slightly to +3 works good so that's what I have for each patch.

Welp I do thank you all for the read and any comments.  Always concerned for tone zap like the old boss units, so trying to be diligent here.  Love the versatility!

I hope you understand that your HD500 tones will sound different when going straight into the FoH than when you're using it with your Blackstar.  Guitar amps color the tone quite a bit.

1 hour ago, joel_brown said:

I hope you understand that your HD500 tones will sound different when going straight into the FoH than when you're using it with your Blackstar.  Guitar amps color the tone quite a bit.

Oh yes I actually forgot to add in step 2 that I turn off the amp models when I use my blackstar, I edited the above to reflect.  Good point thanks.  

On 5/26/2019 at 4:47 AM, GrampaBob said:

Hi I am truly sorry for yet another settings help but I run 3 different setups between my amp, HD500 and pedalboard so I'm making a chart to keep myself lined up.  I also bring all the gear in case I have issues, I have a backup plan.

Setup 1- I use my HD500 alone thru the FoH and use the modelers if the stage is small or need a fast setup

Setup 2- I use my HD500 in 4CM with my blackstar stage mkii with amp models OFF (most used setup currently)

Setup 3- I use my blackstar with my regular pedal board

So I would love a guru to just check over my settings because although everything seems fine, it might not be right. 

What would my FX loop level be set to on my amp in all 3 setups, I have the +4 or -10 choice for loop level on the amp.

Now for HD500 settings regarding #1 and #2.

Line or AMP on the top?

Guitar IN on normal opposed to PAD on top I assume?

Line or STOMP on the backside?

MASTER volume knob on the HD goes to full 100% wet?

within the page setups......COMBO and Line/studio selection

I also read having the mixer levels in the software up slightly to +3 works good so that's what I have for each patch.

Welp I do thank you all for the read and any comments.  Always concerned for tone zap like the old boss units, so trying to be diligent here.  Love the versatility!

Obviously you'll need 2 different sets of already made patches for each scenario: direct and 4CM.

- To connect the HD500 directly to the FOH choose the LINE output setting if your connection with the FOH is through jack cable (instead of XLR), and Direct/Studio output mode, set Guitar In to "normal", in your patches set input2 (you can find it into the system settings) to Variax or Aux (ie a dummy input source) and then in your patches re-adjust the gain related settings to get back the amount of distortion you need, this last input2 setting is to get better and more defined tones from your device and less noise.

- Regarding the 4CM follow the guidelines given by Tyler guy in this article (copied and pasted here for you convenience):

Blackstar Venue in 4CM with new POD HDs

OK fellas - I've figured it out...It's way later than a month after the last post. (sorry about that)

Here's the Skinny, I've done tests now with signal generators to get consistent levels, and been very scientific about all this.

There are two main reasons for tone suck using the 4CM and an HD500 - and one of the reasons is a legitimate bug in the product - one is actually intentional.

First step in config - Input assignments = Input 1-Guitar, Input 2-Variax. This lowers the noise-floor of the pedal.

First - there is a 2.8dB difference between the Input Jack and the FX Send Jack (this is the bug). This has a huge impact on the tone. When you're using the HD500 as a pedal board before the Blackstar Preamp - the FX send switch needs to be set to "Stomp" - If it's set to "Line", you're unnaturally clipping the preamp in an unpleasant way because it's sending a signal that's 10dB LOUDER than the input signal...We all knew that.

The solution is to place the FX loop AFTER the mixer in your FX chain - so It goes: [Effects blocks]=>[Amp Model (Bypassed)]=>[Mixer]=>[FX LOOP]=>[Remaining Effects Blocks] Make Sense?
Then - you turn up BOTH A and B channels of the Mixer to "+3.0dB" and pan them both to "Center".
Now if you were to test the signal like I did, you would notice NEGLIGIBLE differences in the tone. The Gut Shimmer is back, right?

But wait - if your using a patch that has a fuzz face in it, or an analogue chorus (or a number of other FX)- and it's the first thing in the signal chain your thinking - "Why the hell is my tone still wrong - it sounds like someone turned the tone knob on my guitar down!!"

Well, this is the intentional part of the HD modelling...It's called Input Z. Line 6 is modelling the individual and authentic impedances of the pedals and Amps being modeled. Hence an analogue chorus with a 22K pot being first thing in the chain will KILL your tone. The fix is simple - either move the effect, or set the Input Z globally to 3.5M, or 1M - there's almost no difference between the two as far as the end result is concerned.

When you use these simple tweaks to setup 4CM you'll be VERY happy with the results. PM me if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
-Tyler

There is also a video made by the same Tyler guy:

That's all!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

Thank you for the above post.  I have seen Tyler's video before and have followed his tutorial to great success.  I do have 2 sets of set list patches for each scenario but I'm going to double check the comments you made and see how mine line up with those mentioned for sure.