Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 and Fishman Fluence wiring

bsd512

I apologize if this has been covered, I did a search, but didn't find anything relevant.

I replaced my stock Strat pickguard with a pre-wired pickguard loaded with Fishman Fluence pickups - this one from Sweetwater:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FluenceStratPGW--fishman-fluence-stratocaster-loaded-pickguard-white

I was mildly surprised that I needed to use the adapter sleeve that came with the G10 to get output. I understand there are some active pickup wirings that are not compatible with the G10, thus the need for the adapter sleeve.

The G10 works fine with my two Schecter guitars with active EMG pickups so I was hoping the same would be true for the Fishmans.

I did a search for the Schecter EMG wiring and compared it to the Fishman wiring - but the differences that would affect the operation of the G10 is not jumping out at me.

Does anyone know if there's a simple change to the wiring I can make on the Fishman setup that will allow the G10 to work without having to use the adapter sleeve?

Thanks!

I'm kinda in a similar situation. I'm planning on buying a Schecter with fishman fluence modern pickups and I fear they won't work without the adapter, which is a no-go for me. I read somewhere about someone experiencing the same as you with fishmans. 

The g10 works on both my emg equipped guitars and even my accoustic without the adapter.

I've read that it's a polarity issue and you can flip the wires on the output jack to make it work. I think this was on emg's though, but it might be worth trying. I really don't know, but I'd like to. :-)

• 10 months later...

For what it's worth, I just rewired a single pickup with Fluence Modern, using this wiring diagram and it worked without needing adapter.  I even initially wired it with the two grounds reversed (ring and sleeve) as has been suggested elsewhere as a workaround, and it did not work with the modified/workaround wiring.  When I rewired per linked diagram all worked perfectly.   

Only issue I thought I was going to have is that the hole for the jack (side mount) was very snug for the replacement TRS-type jack - thought I was going to have to Dremel out some clearance but a little strategic wire placement and soldering got it in.

• 6 months later...

Hey there, I am new to this forum. I have Fishman Fluence classic pickups (which I wired in myself using the exact diagram supplied by Fishman) in a Strandberg-style guitar, and my experience with the G10 has been weird. I am wondering if anyone can shed light on it. 

At first I was not aware there was any issue with using the G10 together with active pickups. There is no comment about this in manual. So I just plugged the G10 into my Fluence guitar, and it actually worked fine for a couple weeks. But gradually, the G10 transmitter started to get buggy (dropping, cutting out, not connecting to my THR10ii), and eventually it died. I thought it was a bad transmitter, so I had it replaced. (Thank god for Sweetwater.) I put the new one in my guitar, and I got no signal, and the transmitter stopped working altogether. (Red lights only, or no lights.) I had that one replaced. Same thing again! 

Finally I got yet another replacement (#4 -- Sweetwater is the only place to buy anything) and this time I didn't let the transmitter anywhere near my Fluence guitar. It's been working fine. Basically, the evidence I have is that my Fluence pickups are prone to somehow damaging G10 transmitters to the point of bricking them. Does this seem possible? If so why is this happening? I realize there's this general issue with active pickups depending on the wiring, but what I've read is that in the problem cases the G10 goes into some kind of protection mode instead of transmitting a signal. I have not seen reports of the transmitter actually getting destroyed by active pickups, which seems to be what my experience has been. 

This sucks, since my Fluence guitar is my favorite. I have read that the L-shaped adapter that comes with the G10 enables it to work with active pickups. I would like to try it, but since I've been through three G10 transmitters apparently somehow fried by my Fluence pickups, I am sort of traumatized, and would like extra confirmation before I test this! If I used the L-shaped jack adapter, is there any way that my Fluence pickups could still possibly damage or destroy the G10 transmitter? 

Thanks for any insight!