Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How Much Of An Improvement Would Graphtech Ghost Saddles Actually Make?

I'm just wondering as I've seen a few writeups on how to install them but nothing really explicitly extolling the virtues of the GHOST saddles over the stockers on the OG Variax guitars.

Right now my 500 has the neck shimmed so the saddles are high, making the string have maximum contact over the piezo.

What sort of sound improvements would I hear? Would tracking be any better (not that I have any issues outside of glitchiness when tuned one octave down on the high strings)? Anybody here actually done the swap?

• Upvote 1

I'm just wondering as I've seen a few writeups on how to install them but nothing really explicitly extolling the virtues of the GHOST saddles over the stockers on the OG Variax guitars.

Right now my 500 has the neck shimmed so the saddles are high, making the string have maximum contact over the piezo.

What sort of sound improvements would I hear? Would tracking be any better (not that I have any issues outside of glitchiness when tuned one octave down on the high strings)? Anybody here actually done the swap?

I'd like to know too. I'd probably switch in the future, but for now I got LR baggs. 

Also, have you guys noticed increase of string breakage on a stock Variax? I keep breaking a string after a month. On my SG I never broke my strings, I just eventually replaced them to get rid of crappy rusted old ones. I put 11's on mine. I found that higher gauges = less string breakage, but like I said, I've been breaking a lot lately on my Variax.

I know the Ghost saddles would definitely decrease it though, because they said it's their string savers with piezos in them.

Anyways, back on the topic of tone, I'd like to know too. I've read that they kill chirping, which would be nice. What about other characteristics? Does it sound as nice as a JTV?

Also, I would like links to schematics of installation, specifically on a tremolo Variax if one exists.

I have a Vax300 and a JTV. I replaced the LR Baggs on the V300 with Graphtech and I noticed a big improvement in the sound of the modeling. On the JTV, however, the factory installed LR Baggs piezos are themselves a big improvement over the original Variaxes. I don't hear any real difference between the JTV piezos and the Graphtechs.

So my recommendation would be to upgrade to Graphtech on older Variaxes, but not on the JTV.

• Upvote 1

I have a Vax300 and a JTV. I replaced the LR Baggs on the V300 with Graphtech and I noticed a big improvement in the sound of the modeling. On the JTV, however, the factory installed LR Baggs piezos are themselves a big improvement over the original Variaxes. I don't hear any real difference between the JTV piezos and the Graphtechs.

So my recommendation would be to upgrade to Graphtech on older Variaxes, but not on the JTV.

Nice, I was hoping the graphtechs would make the old Variaxes sound as nice as a JTV. Someone said the JTV's modeling is the same besides the new acoustic sounds, but people argue that the JTV sounds better.

I'll consider the ghost saddles in the future.

.... Someone said the JTV's modeling is the same besides the new acoustic sounds, ..

That's true at the moment - but Line 6 has announced a pending JTV firmware update that will make all models HD and hence no longer the same as the old Variax models.