Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Stomp too much treble.....

mstoffel

Hi players,

just tried my Helix Stop with my Marshall JVM 410 JS. I plugged in straight to my return to just use the power amp. I used a preset that I run usually direct to my studio monitors and switched of the IR I don't use excessive high or low cuts on the IR and the EQ of the Line 6 2204 Model was also normal (Bass 3,5 Mid 7, Treb 6,5 Presence 5,3 ).

What I found going straight into the power amp was such a harshness that I had to turn down Treble and Presence to zero. BTW I use a Bogner 2x12 that sounds perfect with my Marshall everything at noon. I have the input impedance on the helix on auto and tried with line and inst level on the output with same results. If the sound difference is that huge how can I run a preset direct FOH and use my Amp on stage....

Any ideas?

Regards,

Marco

In amps models an impedance curve is simulated which induces a huge treble boost. If you go to a tube power amp that boost double.
1. Maybe try preamps instead. The impedance curve is not present in preamps models. (Good sound for you, worse for the audience)
2. Use 4cm method and mic your real cab.
3. Reverse the impedance curve using some eq.
4. Steal your amp output back to Hx using transformer isolator before the speaker.
5. Get rid of your amp and get some wedge or/and IEM instead.
Or just use any combination of above keeping in mind the Stomp is limited to 6 blocks and maybe producing similar sound for yourself and for the audience is not possible with the real amp/cab.

5 hours ago, mstoffel said:

I used a preset that I run usually direct to my studio monitors and switched of the IR I don't use excessive high or low cuts on the IR and the EQ of the Line 6 2204 Model was also normal (Bass 3,5 Mid 7, Treb 6,5 Presence 5,3 ).

I just want to confirm something that is assumed, but not stated in the quoted sentence. You turned off the IR, but can you confirm the amp you used is the 2204 without the cabinet/mic? If you have to turn off all the high end that sounds like a MIC model might still be in play. 

Failing that... As "zolko60" mentions above, I'd suggest trying the preamp version of the 2204 rather than the full version since you are running it into a poweramp and cabinet.