mikefstewart

Future Helix 2

15 hours ago, Marekski said:

Has anyone heard anything more about release Dates of 2.8 and 3.0 Updates??

Hey Marekski,

I wish I could tell you but I'm anticipating  2.80 will be released soon!!!! 

They estimated by the end of spring and never said anything else...

patience, children...

On 5/27/2019 at 9:49 PM, mitchellisdumb said:

I can't give a timeline. But I can say that Line6 has been laying the groundwork for a "Helix 2" that's an incremental upgrade from the Helix Floor.

HD500X would certainly fit that description. However:

• There were DSP sourcing issues (a faster DSP came out at the same price and IIRC, the old one was discontinued)
  • Line 6 in 2019 is VERY DIFFERENT from Line 6 in 2013, independent of the Yamaha acquisition

It's not up to me—though how I wish it was—but I can say with great confidence that no one on Team Helix has any interest in working on a new flagship that anyone in their right mind might perceive as an "incremental upgrade." We're in it to:

• stay ahead of the copycat companies by implementing stuff they simply cannot pull off (due to Line 6/Yamaha/Ampeg patents, domain knowledge, development schedule, or sheer audacity)
  • drop jaws
  • soil pants

8 minutes ago, Digital_Igloo said:

We're in it to:

• stay ahead of the copycat companies by implementing stuff they simply cannot pull off (due to patents, domain knowledge, development schedule, or sheer audacity)
  • drop jaws
  • soil pants

ew.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

It's not up to me—though how I wish it was—but I can say with great confidence that no one on Team Helix has any interest in working on a new flagship that anyone in their right mind might perceive as an "incremental upgrade." We're in it to:

• stay ahead of the copycat companies by implementing stuff they simply cannot pull off (due to patents, domain knowledge, development schedule, or sheer audacity)
  • drop jaws
  • soil pants

Well thanks, now I've got a boner for something that doesn't even exist yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:
  • Line 6 in 2019 is VERY DIFFERENT from Line 6 in 2013 ..We're in it to:
  • soil pants (Emphasis Mine)

Indeed it has changed. Line 6 appears to also be revolutionizing business metrics far beyond the typical ROI (Return on Investment). 

Now you have the new standard of NOSPs (Number of Soiled Pants). One of these days, if you're allowed to, you'll have to share with us what your target NOSP for 2019 is and if you eventually exceeded the 2018 NOSPs from the Stomp's announcement. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Indeed it has changed. Line 6 appears to also be revolutionizing business metrics far beyond the typical ROI (Return on Investment). 

Now you have the new standard of NOSPs (Number of Soiled Pants). One of these days, if you're allowed to, you'll have to share with us what your target NOSP for 2019 is and if you eventually exceeded the 2018 NOSPs from the Stomp's announcement. 

The technical term is QOSP. Quantity Of Soiled Pants.

• Haha 3

"QOSP QOSP" could be used to describe the sound of someone chewing cheetos puffs.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, feffa86 said:

"QOSP QOSP" could be used to describe the sound of someone chewing cheetos puffs.

garbage in... ... ...

On 6/11/2019 at 11:34 AM, PeterHamm said:

They estimated by the end of spring and never said anything else...

patience, children...

Who is "they" specifically? Id like to know who to praise "specifically" if they release by the end of spring, and who to bad-mouth specifically if they dont... '; ) 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:46 PM, spikey said:

Who is "they" specifically? Id like to know who to praise "specifically" if they release by the end of spring, and who to bad-mouth specifically if they dont... '; ) 

Spikey, you know the answer.  They are them.  Now about that QOSP value … :-)

On 6/12/2019 at 12:32 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

• There were DSP sourcing issues (a faster DSP came out at the same price and IIRC, the old one was discontinued)
  • Line 6 in 2019 is VERY DIFFERENT from Line 6 in 2013, independent of the Yamaha acquisition

• drop jaws
  • soil pants

On 6/12/2019 at 1:32 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

• drop jaws
  • soil pants

Will the soiled pants be available in Marketplace?....;)

QOSP is far too long of an acronym for executives, they will lean it down to QSP (Quality Soiling Policy or something of the sort). 

On 6/13/2019 at 3:32 AM, Digital_Igloo said:

• stay ahead of the copycat companies by implementing stuff they simply cannot pull off (due to Line 6/Yamaha/Ampeg patents, domain knowledge, development schedule, or sheer audacity)
  • drop jaws
  • soil pants

OK good luck with that... while we are waiting how about hassling Yamaha for a + model with double the DSP and double the ram? Since your R&D costs have been recovered years ago by now you should easily be able to deliver that as the same price as Helix standard 5 years ago. Everything else can remain teh same so just faster DSP and added ram easy. Then ask Yamaha to buy a majority share in  TC Electronics get them to do new Reverbs, Chorus etc so you can compete with Fractal on the quality of those staple effects..... THEN it's draw dropping without years of waiting....

14 minutes ago, AlienSexGod said:

OK good luck with that... while we are waiting how about hassling Yamaha for a + model with double the DSP and double the ram? Since your R&D costs have been recovered years ago by now you should easily be able to deliver that as the same price as Helix standard 5 years ago. Everything else can remain teh same so just faster DSP and added ram easy. Then ask Yamaha to buy a majority share in  TC Electronics get them to do new Reverbs, Chorus etc so you can compete with Fractal on the quality of those staple effects..... THEN it's draw dropping without years of waiting....

Behringer owns TC Electronic, and TC is pretty much a shell of what they used to be.

And adding additional processing capability is nowhere near as easy as making it sound. For one thing, the type of processors that the Helix uses haven't double in power since the release of the Helix. The amount of processing capability available in the comparable SHARC chip now might be like 20% more. As far as RAM, I don't think that's really even an issue. Also, if case you haven't noticed, production costs keep on increasing, not decreasing. Certainly the trade war between China and the US isn't helping things, but even beyond that, it's not like it would cheaper to make the Helix now than it was 5 years ago.

I was wrong in predicting that Helix 2 would hit the ground running in December 2019. It never happened.

It was actually fun in doing so even if there's still no tuner in the editor... ; )

Oh Its still on the drawing board (Duh) and at some future Winter NAMM they will announce it in all its glory, but I also believe that we will be getting at least a couple MORE big patches in Helix 1st beforehand. It would be stupid to invest time in that programming knowing it will be replaced any time soon Im thinking. But then, Ive been wrong before ; )...

Either way, It good to be a guitar player these days with all the choices available-  

Since your R&D costs have been recovered years ago by now you should easily be able to deliver that as the same price as Helix standard 5 years ago. 

So you expect them to be "fair" about the costs of making an updated Helix? Can you give examples of companies that charge "less" for a new and updated more powerful product? I cant. For example; MRI's have been around for 30+ years now, and the ole (and new) R&D on them has been paid for a thousand time over, yet getting one is still costing the patient (or their Insurance) over 2 grand to get one. So good luck getting a full blown Helix 2 for less than $1399.00. Not saying that I hope your wrong, I just don't see that happening, but...., well, you know... ; )

13 hours ago, spikey said:

...... even if there's still no tuner in the editor... ; )

Oh Its still on the drawing board (Duh) and at some future Winter NAMM they will announce it in all its glory, .....

Ha ha.... Still dreaming, are we?

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 11:07 AM, mikefstewart said:

Total random, curious question.  I am likely to buy a Helix Floor in the next couple of months.  Been researching for too long now.  Thought about Kemper, Fractal or buying a tube amp, etc.  How long do you think it will be before Line 6 says we need a new Helix version, like a Helix 2?  Thanks

If I had to guess, looking at how often Line6 cycles products, I would guess next summer they will announce the next version in correspondence of the version 3.0 of the software. Current generation products will probably still get an update or two, so buying now wouldn't be a terrible deal but if you can swing it I think the Axe FX 3 has more life left (and that's one of the reasons why I think a new Helix is coming).

2 hours ago, BlueD said:

If I had to guess, looking at how often Line6 cycles products, I would guess next summer they will announce the next version in correspondence of the version 3.0 of the software. Current generation products will probably still get an update or two, so buying now wouldn't be a terrible deal but if you can swing it I think the Axe FX 3 has more life left (and that's one of the reasons why I think a new Helix is coming).

Then again... resale value of the Helix is pretty good (or bad, if you're buying), it might drop a little after Helix 2, but an investment now wouldn't be a total loss, even if Helix 2 came out one year from now.  Treat it like a baby and sell it as "Mint condition".

On 3/11/2020 at 3:30 AM, phil_m said:

The amount of processing capability available in the comparable SHARC chip now might be like 20% more. As far as RAM, I don't think that's really even an issue. Also, if case you haven't noticed, production costs keep on increasing, not decreasing. Certainly the trade war between China and the US isn't helping things, but even beyond that, it's not like it would cheaper to make the Helix now than it was 5 years ago.

I assure ou if we doubled the processing power... easy to do.. put twice as many sharc processors in or support an intel CPU we would need double the ram.

Have you no idea that THE BIGGEST COST of production something like  Guitar modeller is teh research and development costs They would cost about USD $500 to produce man but had to be sold for $1500 in teh early days to recover R&D plus manufactured cost plus some profit to move forward. If you don't understand my points why try an act like you have dismissed and debunked them?

I don't care who owns TC just license their reverbs and chorus then like Digitech licensed Lexicon reverbs... I dont care if they get a lexicon license but learn to model TC Analg stern chorus like Fractal did... it owns any chorus that the Helix has.... Really if the aim of the game is world domination it's very easy to do some simple updates stay with or blow away the competition at a certain price point