Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

WTF USB stomp

pol2711

Your device needs repair. It's typically not something you can do yourself - most often this requires replacement of an internal circuit board that is likely blown. Contact Line 6 Support or your nearest Line 6 Service center.

I'm not sure how this went form a broken USB cap to a blown circuit board :) 

There is a black molded cap that protects those pins. If a cable gets slammed, or yanked to the side - that cap can easily break off. No USB connection is immune to this... it's just that USB connections are not often connected to STOMP boxes that we step on so we rarely see it break in other types of devices. 

That part needs to be replaced... and should be done at an authorized service center... especially if it is still under warranty. This won't be covered under warranty, but you don't want to void what is left by opening it yourself.

• Upvote 1

I used my HD 500 for months without the cap and it worked fine.   It was only one day when I was setting up for live when I touched the power supply accidentally to the exposed USB and fried it. 

They really should make caps you can stick in there.  

14 hours ago, codamedia said:

I'm not sure how this went form a broken USB cap to a blown circuit board :) 

1 hour ago, PDKTDK said:

It was only one day when I was setting up for live when I touched the power supply accidentally to the exposed USB and fried it. 

That's one way it goes to a blown circuit board..... :-)  The more usual way is simply to insert a USB cable (already connected to the computer) into the damaged jack and finding it isn't working. Before even discovering the cap is missing you've already blown the circuit board.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I think there may have been a problem with the USB connectors on some HX Stomps - mine broke within days and never left the house. I found the black plastic piece on the floor and glued it back in. Seems to be working fine for some time now. But I should get it repaired.

It's the result of using very cheap components. Unfortunately not exactly something new in Line 6 land.

I have a Native Instruments Rig Control II that I used live for a whole number of events, a Zoom G3 that I still more or less constantly use (as an FX device for acoustic gigs), always powered through USB, and a Boss GT-10 that has seen a lot of traveling, being used as an interface for on the road via USB. None of their Type A USB sockets ever broke. But I've seen plenty of HX Stomp users reporting this by now.

• Sad 2

• 7 months later...