Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G string has no volume and sounds muted

I have had my JTV59 for several years and until a year ago, I played regularly a couple nights a week.  I have always been very pleased with the sound I get.  I haven't played it for a few months (been playing my Taylor acoustic and don't play live anymore) and I went to try to learn the solo from Still Got the Blues by Gary Moore tonight and my 3rd string, G, has no volume compared to the others and sounds kind of like a toy guitar.  It is only that string and only when I have the modeling turned on.  If I turn off the modeling and just use the straight pickups, it is fine.  Anyone got any ideas what I can do to fix this?  I don't want to replace it and can't justify it since I am not playing live anywhere right now.  Thank you all for your help.

psarkissian, I tried your idea with cleaning it first and that seems to have taken care of my issue.  That string is back to sounding good again.  Thank you both for your advice.  I may have to replace the pickup at a later date but now I know how since I thought I was going to have to this time.  Thanks again guys.  

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2019 at 1:47 PM, jerseyboy said:

Piezo element probably dead.  Might be gummed up and need careful cleaning/fitting but that's a long shot.

Line6 suggests a service center - https://line6.com/find/service_center/

I used a strong air blower towards the saddle from both sides and over and underneath the guitar wherever there was hole to blow air into. I used it for some seconds and my A string got cured! It was low in volume and somehow sounded as muted.