Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware 2.80

manix1979

2 hours ago, spikey said:

Oh no Kilrahi its always been fine, there was never anything to fix. ; )

Sure they can change the functionality of any port on Helix via software all they want., as long as we are aware of what it will change on our Helix we install it. Parity? The parity is that it looks the same but does not act the same. Its a port with the same name,  and same look/size. What would you assume if you were not told otherwise and then found out that the one on Helix you just purchased was nowhere near as capable as what the HD series port was? We all should have been told beforehand. D.I. is trying to blame the consumer (ME) for complaining about something we were not told about until after Helix was 1st shipped, and then we had issues with. In other words, the L6-Linkport for him isn't the problem, it's my complaining that is. Had they (Line-6) acknowledged that difference before Helix was shipped, I wouldn't have had a horse in this rodeo.  AFAIK they didn't. I'm still waiting for the link that says otherwise, and then I will apologize for the outburst. 

Back when I had an HD500 I considered getting a DT amp, but never had the coin. When I was looking at the Helix before I bought it I remember thinking that I was glad I hadn't done that, since it looked like L6 was phasing out support for the DT amp. I didn't even own one, but I knew about that, from reading about it in advance. No, I can't give you a link to where I read it, but the information WAS out there. Now they've come up with a fix for the topology problem. It may not be ideal from your viewpoint, but at least they haven't abandoned the DT. 

14 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Before 2.80, Helix <—> DT over L6 LINK was limited to sending the left signal to the first of two DTs, the right signal to the second of two DTs, and merged mono to a single DT. That's it. People here asked if Helix <—> DT over L6 LINK was going to get some communication love, and the answer was always "we'd like to, not sure if or when it'll happen (IdeaScale, etc.), but if it does, it won't be the same as how HD500 works." IIRC, I even got into the details a bit, because we had already designed it. TONS of features are already designed and specced, just so we don't paint ourselves into a corner if and when we have time and resources to pursue them. If we had the ability (we don't) to implement and release every feature we've designed up until now, Helix could get updates for decades.

One of my life's greatest regrets: "Oh crap! I forgot to find spikey and remind him of what I wrote three years ago!" ;-)

I'm just glad that we are getting the functionality at this point. I honestly did not expect that to happen based on prior comments. In fact, I almost sold my DT50 as with Helix it was basically just another head, and I have plenty of those. Using the L6 link was basically the same as running it in 4CM. Add in the Midi cable (which I also did) and it had some of the funcionality, but is much more cumbersome.

Now that there will be greater integration, I'm glad I didn't sell it as it will make a super versatile and streamlined stage rig, especially with the Variax (which I also still have).

So thank you guys for deciding to add this. It was unexpected, but is also greatly appreciated.

So, now that the DT series is back in the fold with the Helix, are there any plans to re-release the DT50 and 412 cabs? Or is the 25 going to still be the only new DT available?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, spikey said:

Sure they can change the functionality of any port on Helix via software all they want., as long as we are aware of what it will change on our Helix we install it. Parity? The parity is that it looks the same but does not act the same. Its a port with the same name,  and same look/size. What would you assume if you were not told otherwise and then found out that the one on Helix you just purchased was nowhere near as capable as what the HD series port was? We all should have been told beforehand. D.I. is trying to blame the consumer (ME) for complaining about something we were not told about until after Helix was 1st shipped, and then we had issues with. In other words, the L6-Linkport for him isn't the problem, it's my complaining that is. Had they (Line-6) acknowledged that difference before Helix was shipped, I wouldn't have had a horse in this rodeo.  AFAIK they didn't. I'm still waiting for the link that says otherwise, and then I will apologize for the outburst. 

The Helix manual was made public before the first unit shipped and explained exactly what L6 LINK accomplished. Here, I'll even copy and paste it for you:

L6 LINK Output

Alternatively, the digital XLR connector can be used for L6 LINK output (use of a 110ΩXLR cable is recommended). L6 LINK provides easy digital audio connectivity between Helix and Line 6 StageSource speakers and/or DT-Series amplifiers. Two StageSource speakers or DT amps can also be connected in series via L6 LINK and your stereo Helix signal is intelligently split, with the left channel going to the first StageSource/DT and the right channel to the second. If you have one StageSource/DT connected, the Helix output is collapsed to mono and fed to the StageSource/DT.

Connecting an L6 LINK device to Helix automatically disables S/PDIF out and routes audio out the digital XLR connector - no adjustments of the Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Digital Audio or Sample Rate options are necessary.

TIP: With an L6 LINK connection to a DT-Series amp, often the Helix Preamp models are a better choice than Amp or Amp+Cab models. Manually configurethe analog power amp options on the DT amp for more sonic possibilities!

TIP: It is possible to use Helix to remotely control several parameters on your DT-Series amp (channel select, power amp topology, reverb, etc.) via MIDI. Connect a 5-pin MIDI cable from Helix Rack's MIDI Out to the DT amp's MIDI In and use the Helix "Command Center" to configure the desired MIDI commands for any preset.

Start by loading the Helix TEMPLATES > 04D DT25-DT50 Remote preset since it has several handy DT commands already mapped to Helix switches for you. You can customize this template and create your own sets of controls to add to your Helix presets. Also see the DT MIDI Implementation Guide for a complete list of MIDI commands, available from http://line6.com/support/manuals/

Before Helix, the following products had L6 LINK ports:

• POD HD400
  • POD HD500
  • DT50/DT25
  • StageScape M20D
  • StageSource L3/L2

They ALL used L6 LINK differently. Two PODs—announced at the the same time—used L6 LINK differently!

"Even though Line 6 owes me nothing, they finally added remote support for the tiny amount of Helix users who still have DTs, MADE IT WAY BETTER, but it's not the same confusing, inconsistent, and crippled implementation used in a completely different product from nine years ago!" <facepalm.jpg>

I was reading TGP again and DI posted some stuff that, at least for me, was VERY useful on this subject because it shows that not even L6 really knows when a update will be released, BUT once they do think they're ready the process can happen almost instantaneously. It also showed that it could very well miss the Spring goal so better prepare yourself if that's a destroy your whole month type of reality. Me? I'm REALLY excited for it, and I want it, but I'll be fine and I'm not miffed. Check out the below:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/helix-2-8.2004443/page-83

Digital Igloo:

"I've said it before, but we NEVER know a firmware update's release date until about 10 minutes before it's released. Works like this: Build release candidate, shoot for a 1pm (or whenever) release, find last minute bug(s), cancel the release, fix the bug(s), build a new release candidate the next morning, shoot for 1pm (or whenever) release, find last minute bug(s), cancel the release, rinse and repeat. 2.80 is no different, but we're not at release candidate yet. ....

At this point, we simply don't know if 2.80 will be out before the 21st. Some days it doesn't look good; other days it does. We're not going to provide play-by-play.

The hotkey templates are fun as hell, that's for sure. Played Portal 2 with my feet last night. The night before, I tracked dozens of guitar takes in Logic without ever touching a mouse or keyboard."

• Upvote 1

The Helix manual was made public before the first unit shipped and explained exactly what L6 LINK accomplished. Here, I'll even copy and paste it for you:

L6 LINK Output

Alternatively, the digital XLR connector can be used for L6 LINK output (use of a 110ΩXLR cable is recommended). L6 LINK provides easy digital audio connectivity between Helix and Line 6 StageSource speakers and/or DT-Series amplifiers. Two StageSource speakers or DT amps can also be connected in series via L6 LINK and your stereo Helix signal is intelligently split, with the left channel going to the first StageSource/DT and the right channel to the second. If you have one StageSource/DT connected, the Helix output is collapsed to mono and fed to the StageSource/DT.

Connecting an L6 LINK device to Helix automatically disables S/PDIF out and routes audio out the digital XLR connector - no adjustments of the Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Digital Audio or Sample Rate options are necessary.

TIP: With an L6 LINK connection to a DT-Series amp, often the Helix Preamp models are a better choice than Amp or Amp+Cab models. Manually configurethe analog power amp options on the DT amp for more sonic possibilities!

TIP: It is possible to use Helix to remotely control several parameters on your DT-Series amp (channel select, power amp topology, reverb, etc.) via MIDI. Connect a 5-pin MIDI cable from Helix Rack's MIDI Out to the DT amp's MIDI In and use the Helix "Command Center" to configure the desired MIDI commands for any preset.

Start by loading the Helix TEMPLATES > 04D DT25-DT50 Remote preset since it has several handy DT commands already mapped to Helix switches for you. You can customize this template and create your own sets of controls to add to your Helix presets. Also see the DT MIDI Implementation Guide for a complete list of MIDI commands, available from http://line6.com/support/manuals/

Thanks for posting this older info D.I. Also nice to see you posting here more- If I had known digging you would have done that Id have done it a long time ago ; )

Now please post the list made public before Helix was released stating what we actually lost in L6-Link, versus specifically what we had with the HD 500 & Dream Rig setup back then. That's the one I can't seem to locate anywhere and think that should have been listed online and in the manual too (like this one was). If it's not available now then a short number of things that were not listed above "midi control wise" thru L6-Link we had and lost between the two will do. Thanks again! 

I kid, of course, there is no list like that is there... 

At this point, we simply don't know if 2.80 will be out before the 21st. Some days it doesn't look good; other days it does. We're not going to provide play-by-play.

My thoughts (all jokes aside-) are to release it when it's ready. If it's NOT ready just because summer is here then don't cave to timelines and release it when its a done deal. Just be "sure" and post the "REASON" why it's not out. Don't leave us in the dark (not that you have on this issue).  Oh, yea- and add MORE midi Control LIGHTNING BOLTS!!! Thanks.

1 hour ago, spikey said:

Now please post the list made public before Helix was released stating what we actually lost in L6-Link, versus specifically what we had with the HD 500 & Dream Rig setup back then.

You can't lose anything if it was never there to begin with. Helix is not a POD and we've been 100% transparent about its capabilities over L6 LINK from day one. POD HD400 works one way, POD HD500 works another way, Stagescape M20d works another way, and Helix works another way.

It's like trading your 1998 Ford in for a 2019 Tesla, and then complaining that Elon made you "lose the cassette deck."

Spikey, I get your frustration but you’ve regressed to asking DI to produce a list things that a new product doesn’t do that was theoretically put out prior to product release.  I’m not sure why you would assume that such a list by any company would ever happen, but you have gone a step further and narrowed it down to the thing that you care about.   

You’ve asked specifically about L6 link.  I fail to see why there would be any expectation by anyone that there would be such a list or that it was necessary.   If there was forum discussions about the new product and that question was posed there may be a possibility of such a list.  What actually happened was akin to, here’s a new product here’s what it does, at some point the L6 link capabilities were revealed.   If what you wanted was not on the list of capabilities why would you assume it’s there, that’s the point where you ask the specific questions for clarity.

It’s impossible to predict and pre-asnwer every possible question.  I didn’t get helix at release but i saw a lot the release literature and my understanding was that it was all new architecture and not simply the next POD.  So I wouldn’t expect to act like a POD even though in some ways it might.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Digital_Igloo said:

It's like trading your 1998 Ford in for a 2019 Tesla, and then complaining that Elon made you "lose the cassette deck."

Touche'!

Thanks DI.  Based on your description of the DT controls in Helix:

Can we can presume the DT's channel A by default will have the its pre-amp disabled?

Can we also presume we will have full pre and post preamp effects for channel B while utilizing the amp's internal preamp and power amp (ala 4cm)?

These are exciting times for Line 6 veteran Helix users.

But I like cassette decks! ; ) You know what you had with them, and they hardly ever needed fixing. 

Keep posting D.I. yer on a roll... ; )

You’ve asked specifically about L6 link.  I fail to see why there would be any expectation by anyone that there would be such a list or that it was necessary.   

You have missed my meaning litesnsirens. The reason I asked for a list that never existed was that I think it should have. Why? First for all those that missed the Dream Rig setup. You see that list that D.I. posted really does exist and was posted online and in the manual as he stated, but what it and he doesn't state in that list and what was left out (that the HD series had and Helix does not have as much midi control via L6-Link), is by and large huge. And the "work-around" that you had to use MIDI (1982 technology BTW) to control bits and pieces of what it did for Helix versus the HD-Series is, well not quite equal (midi Control Wise) to say the least. So no, I've not regressed at all. Now I'm just having fun as I'm just trying to keep D.I. here longer than he has been in months... ; )

18 minutes ago, PDKTDK said:

Can we can presume the DT's channel A by default will have the its pre-amp disabled?

Can we also presume we will have full pre and post preamp effects for channel B while utilizing the amp's internal preamp and power amp (ala 4cm)?

There's no connection between Helix Amp blocks and DT channel selection. You can assign a single footswitch to toggle between (Helix Amp On + DT Preamp Off [Ch A]) and (Helix Amp Off + DT Preamp On [Ch B]). You can assign the topology settings to footswitches or snapshots. L6 LINK audio has always been downstream only; there's never been any 4CM over L6 LINK. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question.

2 minutes ago, spikey said:

The reason I asked for a list that never existed was that I think it should have.

"Thanks for meeting me for coffee. My wife of 40 years passed away and it's been hard getting back into the dating scene. I've read your entire dating profile but am disappointed that you haven't provided an exhaustive list of how you're different from my dead wife."

If you know how POD HD500 works with DT over L6 LINK, reading the Helix manual is all you need to compare the two.

If you don't know how POD HD500 works with DT over L6 LINK, then who cares?

49 minutes ago, Digital_Igloo said:

There's no connection between Helix Amp blocks and DT channel selection. You can assign a single footswitch to toggle between (Helix Amp On + DT Preamp Off [Ch A]) and (Helix Amp Off + DT Preamp On [Ch B]). You can assign the topology settings to footswitches or snapshots. L6 LINK audio has always been downstream only; there's never been any 4CM over L6 LINK. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question.

I understand the Helix does not select DT settings according to the Helix amp model. I've been using midi controls with Helix for a little while now.

The way I read the Helix's DT settings you posted it said something along the lines of Channel A (Helix) and Channel B (DT).  So I thought channel A might be delegated to preamp disabled by default and B as DT fully engaged.  I understood we have to set the parameters to taste.

Will channel B offer equal functionality as channel A with regards to Helix usability(?) is ultimately what I'm wondering. Seems likely.

"Thanks for meeting me for coffee. My wife of 40 years passed away and it's been hard getting back into the dating scene. I've read your entire dating profile but am disappointed that you haven't provided an exhaustive list of how you're different from my dead wife."

Well for one she can't lie and neither did I. She probably died from the same BS sauce you've been trying to feed us on how L6-Link wasn't broken lol... 

2 hours ago, soundog said:

Its getting pretty weird in here. I think people are starting to leave. Me too.

Agreed. This has been a passionate run, but let's move on to something less controversial, like politics, or religion or something. 

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

Agreed. This has been a passionate run, but let's move on to something less controversial, like politics, or religion or something. 

LOL ok TRUMP 2020!!!! LOL...

It's all good- relax guys... Really. D.I. and I are just having a bit of fun ribbing each other about what happened back then- I'm not mad about anything and I don't believe he is the least bit bothered either. The patch will be here soon, and Helix will be even better than before! So don't leave because of us- Come back Shane!!! ; ) 

• Haha 1

Actually Spikey, I think you missed my point which is somewhat re-interpreted in DI’s dead wife analogy.  I just don’t see that there is any reason or expectation to put out a list of how our completely new product (which is a new line altogether and not really the successor to the POD line) is different from one of our other products.  It was simply here is the new product, it has some L6 link functionality, here is what it CAN do.   If that works for you, buy it.  I think the goal of Helix was to make a higher quality modeler to get into that market.   

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, spikey said:

LOL ok TRUMP 2020!!!! LOL...

We could really do without THAT insanity.

On the topic of the dream rig, I personally remember reading more about the Wet - Dry - Wet rig more than DT integration with Helix, but that could be because I didn't pay as much attention about the DT stuff, as I was not nearly as interested in it at the time.

We could really do without THAT insanity.

I was kinda "prompted" to do that- if you will read above... Relax... ; )

If that works for you, buy it. 

Oh no I got I your meaning. If you don't see my reason's I said what I said that's ok with me. Peace brother and please read on ; )

I think the goal of Helix was to make a higher quality modeler to get into that market.   

Of course. I'm glad they did. What other reason would there be for them? FWIW, and so its clear to those who have not read my praises on Helix- I really like Helix. Tones are great, its the center of my guitar studio pretty much. Love the 4 Aux and buffered out. In fact, the only thing that irked me ( besides no tuner in the editor- kidding ; ) ) is I just didn't like how L6-Link was stripped from what it once was without coming out beforehand and stating what was being removed (not the above things that changed in it because that to me is a run-around) because Helix was not the same circuit wise 1st, that's all. It had to change, or they would have left the programming alone for easiness sake if nothing else. I understand that. I just didn't care for the PR work in explaining the changes, like it was somehow "better", which to me is just crazy. If you've not experienced that  in the HD series I can understand your confusion as to why that's such a big deal for me. That's my beef, and ya know what, I can live with it. ; ) Its all good- Best way I can explain it, and altho I have a disagreement with D.I. about how this was all done, thats all ok too. No disrespect was intended (even if I can verbally be just as offensive as the next guy). Peace Brother ; )

Just now, Lachdanan0121 said:

Spikey, I did read above.

It wasn't just your comment (which comes with its own prompting) it was also the concept within it that I was commenting on... So just relax ;)

I'm good bud- have a great weekend!

On 6/1/2019 at 6:55 AM, rd2rk said:

Over on TGP, there's a 2.8 update thread and the Helix MEGA thread. IF L6 chooses to release any info on updates, that's where it happens.

Latest word is that it's in the hands of the Beta testers and, barring major problems, will be out soon.

That's all, folks!

Thanks for that Information! I was curious as to what might be Included in this Update!

We All just need to be Patient! Helix is Amazing as it is Now!

Thanks Again Everyone for Sharing Information!

3 hours ago, Marekski said:

I was curious as to what might be Included in this Update!

Well, if that was all you needed to know, all you had to do was read the pinned thread on the top of this forum which lists,

2.80 "The Missed Connections Update"
AVAILABLE SPRING 2019—Don't go looking for it now!

Thread named:

Helix Firmware 2.80 (Available SPRING 2019)

It’s only been there since the end of January.

This was also mentioned on the first page of this thread - a couple of posts below the one you quoted from “rd2rk”.

1 hour ago, Marekski said:

Understand that now! I'm New to the Forums Pages and Just figuring out how to make my way through them!

I didn't realize you were So Sensitive!!

Did you see datacommando's avatar? ;-)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jpdennis said:

Hmm, is this the wrong thread to share how I really like the latest Helix Firmware 3.02.13454.23.000.123.2c?  Drat!  ;-) 

That's just like Line6 - in .2b they gave me everything I wanted, then in .2c they gave YOU everything YOU wanted and that TOTALLY hosed the thing I wanted most!

Alas, poor Spikey hopes to fare better in 2d. Let us pray!

Alas, poor Spikey hopes to fare better in 2d. Let us pray!

Thanks for the concern, but I don't see the point of worrying  about the splinter in my eye when many have a 2 x 4 in theirs ; )

That said, I hope that 2.8 pleases "Everyone" once released, not just me.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, spikey said:

Sp,

You are usually someone who totally realises, that as soon as 2.80 hits the streets, that’s when the real pi$$in ‘n’ moaning will start all over again! It’s a self perpetuating thing!

;-)

1 hour ago, spikey said:

Right - that always happens!! :-)

You already know exactly how this will go down..... V2.8 is released to mostly positive reviews, with a few people pointing out how their favorite feature is not included (e.g. a tuner in HX Edit). Then things will be focused on the few inevitable bugs (How on earth did this get through beta testing?? Bunch of losers!) and a bug fix release v2.81 within a month or so.  By September the first 'When is v2.9 (better yet, v3.0) coming and what's in it?' thread will be posted and off we go again.... The circle of life among L6 customers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Oh, I must have forgot that 2.8 comes with some more Bass goodies. ( 1 amp, and 2 drive pedals)

It also seems to come with more distortion pedals than I thought too.

I was focused on the Revv, and the DAW transport control functions with my floor control.

This really is gonna be a very nice update. It is much appreciated L6!