Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware 2.80

manix1979

Grabbed this from TGP this morning- yesterday @ 12:19 pm D.I. wrote:

Not happening today; sorry, guys. We're hoping to have a release candidate (a rev that, with a lot of luck and no blocker bugs found, could become 2.80) by the end of this week.

While waiting for the firmware, I disassembled the helix, cleaned it and used the chance to give it a new colour. 

To anyone who wants to try this: Dont do that within your warrany and dont do that if you dont know what a screwdriver is!! It‘s not hard to do as long as you KNOW what you are

Could be a nice idea for the Line6 guys. Some kind of personalization, limited editions or whatever ;-) 

648967EE-1FE9-45E9-A5D7-B843F94A640F.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, VirtualGuitars said:

I'm confident I don't care as much as most of the people on this particular thread regarding 2.80, but today is the last day of Spring.  Just sayin'.

Nope... 21st is tomorrow. Just saying... 

16 minutes ago, VirtualGuitars said:

You're right.  Siri was wrong!  She said today!

It may well be that the 21st is the first day of summer, but during the run up to an earlier Firmware release a lot of folks were guessing - would it be out on Monday, Tuesday, etc., through to the weekend. There was no specific date quoted for that release, although at the time Digital Igloo posted that it wouldn’t be whatever day anyone was thinking because of various other things that had to be considered. One thing that he did specify was that Line 6 never release new firmware on Fridays - it’s usually mid week! Just saying because tomorrow is Friday and unless the rules have changed I would guess it ain’t gonna happen!

Maybe they are testing a lot that we, the users, get an almost bug free update.

If the programmers are in the U.S., their working day has started 2hrs ago. Here in Austria it‘s almost 10pm... 21st is in 2hrs ;-)

Let them do their work. If it’s not today or tomorrow, it will come anyway. 

That‘s the way the cookie crumbles ;-)

• Upvote 1

It really doesn't matter when the last day of Spring is. 2.8 will be released when its ready.  The last thing you want is for L6 to release unfinished/untested firmware in order to meet a date.  I've worked for companies that have done that kind of thing in the past and it never ends well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MojoAxe said:

It really doesn't matter when the last day of Spring is. 2.8 will be released when its ready.  The last thing you want is for L6 to release unfinished/untested firmware in order to meet a date.  I've worked for companies that have done that kind of thing in the past and it never ends well.

Thank you :-) Just imagine: Downloading and installing the firmware, press one button and => reboot or bad sound or backup incompatible... oh man THIS would start an avalanche of freaked out messages... 

3 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

If we could harness the mental energy expended guessing when the stupid firmware will be released, nobody would ever need to buy a tank of gas again...;)

Not sure how gas relates to mental energy, but whatever works. I Got to wondering just where is that "mental gas" of yours located Cru, and do you get that problem after a bowl of beans? ; ) Hey maybe that is where the stupid firmware becomes SMART firmware! I won't go over the process but thanks for the ideas!!! Now, where are those beans.... 

I suggest that they release a bugs-and-all Beta, call it 2.8, let everyone whose too impatient for a stable iteration download it and get PO'd, wait for the first "When is 2.9 coming out" joke, and post the actual update as 2.9 saying, "Here, ya go, ya %@^$(@!  Now leave us alone!".

Oh...and make sure the faux update reverts the Tuna to 1.1 and requires a legacy version of the installer.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, spikey said:

Not sure how gas relates to mental energy, but whatever works. I Got to wondering just where is that "mental gas" of yours located Cru, and do you get that problem after a bowl of beans? ; ) Hey maybe that is where the stupid firmware becomes SMART firmware! I won't go over the process but thanks for the ideas!!! Now, where are those beans.... 

You consume food (the oil comes out of the ground).

Your digestive system processes the food into useful and waste components (gas and refinery pollution).

Your blood carries the various components to the required locations (the pipelines to the gas station and environment).

Insulin forces the nutrients into your cells (you put the gas in the car).

The nutrients are converted to energy in the mitochondria of your cells (the engine of your car).

Your cells now have the energy to turn on your computer and wiggle your mouse (double entendre intended).

If we could harness all the energy that we gear fetishists waste wiggling our mice and worrying about gear and updates and all that rot, we could replace the filthy carbon fuels whose waste products are killing us slowly......something that makes worrying about a delayed update seem pretty silly!

Or, to quote an old folk song - "Little wheel spin and spin while the big wheel turns around and around".

Spring is no longer a future date in "any" situation regarding the 2.8 patch release, and obviously, they need more time. That's a good thing for us cause I for one don't want a half-baked patch released. 

1 hour ago, spikey said:

Spring is no longer a future date in "any" situation regarding the 2.8 patch release, and obviously, they need more time. That's a good thing for us cause I for one don't want a half-baked patch released. 

Nice and good BUT typical Line6 behavior to give no info. Why informing waiting customers? It does not make a good picture my friends. We do not want it right now if it‘s not finished, we just need COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION. 

22 minutes ago, manix1979 said:

Nice and good BUT typical Line6 behavior to give no info. Why informing waiting customers? It does not make a good picture my friends. We do not want it right now if it‘s not finished, we just need COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION. 

Somewhere around here or maybe over at the gear page thread there is an update. One of the employees tweeted that they were working over the weekend to get this done. 

A little bit offtopic but Helix related: I disassembled the Helix to clean and attach the decal. Something very interesting came in my way. Look at the photo.857D9B3C-4340-4DE8-8885-F290205F9E9E.thumb.jpeg.42cc51cc86393f0e44300d11c60bdbf8.jpeg The main CPU sits on a detachable board. IF (just speculation) Line6 releases a Helix II, there could be a possibility to upgrade the CPU... if, if, if... 
It can be done by experienced users or by Yamaha service partners. ;-) Just an idea. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, manix1979 said:

If it's that important to you to be "kept in the loop", get ye over to The Gear Page, Digital and Modeling Forum, Helix 2.8 thread.

It's 99 pages long, and it's where L6 has been keeping us in the loop all along.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

If it's that important to you to be "kept in the loop", get ye over to The Gear Page, Digital and Modeling Forum, Helix 2.8 thread.

It's 99 pages long, and it's where L6 has been keeping us in the loop all along.

Well, not only that, the stuff was repasted in this very thread he posted just a few above where he complained.  

At least read the thread's most recent posts that you're jumping into . . 

6 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Well, not only that, the stuff was repasted in this very thread he posted just a few above where he complained.  

At least read the thread's most recent posts that you're jumping into . . 

WELL, excuuuse me!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jjharris said:

Lots of people make the very understandable mistake of thinking that, since this is the OFFICIAL Line6 Community Helix thread, that L6 reps are paying attention here.

They probably prefer TGP because:

a) Most people here already own the product, they'd be preaching to the choir

b) TGP has smileys!  :-)

14 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Lots of people make the very understandable mistake of thinking that, since this is the OFFICIAL Line6 Community Helix thread, that L6 reps are paying attention here.

They probably prefer TGP because:

a) Most people here already own the product, they'd be preaching to the choir

b) TGP has smileys!  :-)

If they are not on TGP then it will be BookFace where it seems that they have been giving accolades to some people by making them "CS Ambassadors", whatever that means.

Weird scenes inside the goldmine!